No announcement yet.
X

fogging shield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold your breath?! J/K i do the same as scotty with the lid one notch open.
    "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

im glad someone put this up....i have been wondering about this.
      1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot(sold)
      1992 GSXF Katana 750(sold 2014)
      1994 GSXF Katana 600 (gave away)
      2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-90 (sold)
      2003 GSX 1300R Hayabusa (purchased 2013)

I MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST DUDE YOUVE SEEN ON A 750 KAT.....

Comment

That worked real good. Only fogged up once and that was because I forget to suck my bottom lip in.

Comment

If you live near a dealership that sells snowmobiles they should have a product in a spray can that you apply to your shield but make sure you buff the sheild very well once applied. I dont remember the product name but they may have a few to choose from.

Comment

You can also get a bottle of "Fog Away" at most Dealers, which works very well. Another cheap trick is to use a dab of shaving cream on the inside of your visor - smear it all over, and then polish it off with a cotton towel - that will last for a few weeks!
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I usually start off with the visor slightly cracked open in cold weather, but am able to shut it down once I've gone a mile or so.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                Didn't your helmet come with a manual that said to only ever wipe the visor with mild soap and water on a 100% cotton cloth?

If you aren't comfortable using Rain-X, baby shampoo works too. Put some on a cloth, wipe it on, and then rinse it off (you'll have to do this with the visor removed). You could just spit on your visor like scuba divers do, but I find that a little gross.

I prefer the convenience of my way. I have a package of Rain X anti-fog wipes that I use inside my visor, and I clean the outside, generally, with the scrubber and squeegee at the gas station. Maybe I wouldn't do this if I tended to keep helmets for a long time.
                That's how I've always cleaned my visor. Except I don't use soap, no reason for it. With proper care you don't need it.

Now, will the RainX fog your plastic visor up or not? The bottle states to not use it on plastics.

Comment

I believe any soap e.g. liquid dish soap will work. Just a drop or 2, apply as you would a wax. Apply all over and then buff clean with a soft cloth or paper towel. I do this at work for safety goggles. When face masks don't fit so well your breath can fog them up...the soap works everytime.
                  2004 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    He's serious. I do the same thing when it's really cold. (Warms your chin, too!)
                    ya, i figured so. I actualy tried it while i was reading it, after thinking about the pull back the lip instruction. I laughed also because it reminded me of the movie Grumpy old Men when one tells the other to do the world a favor, pull his lip over his head and swollow.
                    i guess its the same as blowing out of your nostrils into a coat sleeve to warm the nose area or mouth..

ps. I was one of those kids that busted out laughing for what seemed no apparent reason in the class room thinking of an earlier joke!
                    "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      That's how I've always cleaned my visor. Except I don't use soap, no reason for it. With proper care you don't need it.

Now, will the RainX fog your plastic visor up or not? The bottle states to not use it on plastics.
                      What exactly is this "proper care" of your visor that allows you to get the bugs off so easily? I must be doing something wrong. At times I've had to spray soapy water on my shield and let it sit for a while to soften the bugs up enough to get them all off. The gas station scrubber only gets it clean enough to keep riding, it never gets them all.

I don't use the bottle. As I stated, I use wipes that specifically say something about fog on them, and no, they haven't done any harm to my visors. I only use clear visors, though, so I don't know if it would do something to one that is coated in some way.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        What exactly is this "proper care" of your visor that allows you to get the bugs off so easily? I must be doing something wrong. At times I've had to spray soapy water on my shield and let it sit for a while to soften the bugs up enough to get them all off. The gas station scrubber only gets it clean enough to keep riding, it never gets them all.

I don't use the bottle. As I stated, I use wipes that specifically say something about fog on them, and no, they haven't done any harm to my visors. I only use clear visors, though, so I don't know if it would do something to one that is coated in some way.
                        Proper care? You really wanna know my secret? It's called a soft cotton washcloth, and hot water. I'm dead serious. The catch? I wash it as soon as I get home, and I carry some wipes in my tankbag. Bugs come off super easy, I don't treat the outside with anything. It's the way I've always done it. No soaps, nothing that would leave a residue or etch the plastic over time. Maybe that's the secret? Nothing special, sorry to burst your bubble.

I know that some cleaners over time will etch the plastic on a microscopic level allowing bugs and other things to grip the plastic better. I've never used a cleaner on my visor. Lemon Pledge on occasion, but I stopped that after a few applications as I wasn't impressed.

I know the RainX anti-fog wipes are good, I was more curious about the rain repellant liquid.

Comment

Proper care? You really wanna know my secret? It's called a soft cotton washcloth, and hot water...
                          Baby wipes! Work great. All my guys are out of diapers, but I still buy them, keep them in the cars. The Costco Kirkland ones are great and don't break apart like others. Made from cotton.
                          2004 GSX750F

Comment

Proper care? You really wanna know my secret? It's called a soft cotton washcloth, and hot water. I'm dead serious. The catch? I wash it as soon as I get home, and I carry some wipes in my tankbag. Bugs come off super easy, I don't treat the outside with anything. It's the way I've always done it. No soaps, nothing that would leave a residue or etch the plastic over time. Maybe that's the secret? Nothing special, sorry to burst your bubble.

I know that some cleaners over time will etch the plastic on a microscopic level allowing bugs and other things to grip the plastic better. I've never used a cleaner on my visor. Lemon Pledge on occasion, but I stopped that after a few applications as I wasn't impressed.

I know the RainX anti-fog wipes are good, I was more curious about the rain repellant liquid.
                            Maybe that's the problem..... I'll leave my helmet covered with bugs until it's bad enough to be distracting, then I clean it off at the gas station. When I get home at the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is clean my helmet, or anything else for that matter!
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisx2 View Post
                              I believe any soap e.g. liquid dish soap will work. Just a drop or 2, apply as you would a wax. Apply all over and then buff clean with a soft cloth or paper towel. I do this at work for safety goggles. When face masks don't fit so well your breath can fog them up...the soap works everytime.
                              ^^ this.
                              the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                              # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                              [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Will have to try some of these tricks in the morn. I thought mine foged up due to being a cheap helmet..
                                A friend suggested to use "plexus" on the shield for water run off. Its like an anti static plastic cleaner/polish they sell at cycle gear.
                                anyone have experience with that stuff?
                                "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Working...
                                X