X

helmet opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
    I have never heard of someone that owned a shoie, aria or other high quality lid and was happier with a basic entry level helmet.
    +1
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      Not quite the same thing. The cheap shoes at WalMart don't give you any arch support or stability for pronation. Ask your friendly, neighborhood podiatrist.

Point is, you've got to be an informed buyer. Some things are worth paying extra for, some things aren't. With helmets the extra money is for comfort. That's optional. If you can afford it then great but someone on a tight budget should know that they can be protected just as well with an inexpensive helmet and upgrade for more comfort when they can afford it.
      That’s my point as well. Protection is just one job of many with helmets. But remember, to provide the good protection a helmet must fit correctly. And a correctly fitted helmet will be much more comfortable. higher end helmets are designed differently, molded better and better fitting. thats one reason they stand up to snell testing better.

If you ride a lot, or like me for 8-10 hours a day sometimes, you will be a much happier camper with a quality lit then one that just provide adequate protection.
      Small things like removable, washable liners keep your lid from smelling like socks lol. Have you ever tried riding a bicycle with cheap sunglasses? Poor optics can throw off you perceptions. This is a big problem many people don’t even realize. One dead giveaway is a rider that constantly opens his visor when slowing for a stop or riding at slow speeds such as a parking lot. They do it sub consciously but that’s because the poor optics throws off speed and depth perceptions and they feel more comfortable at slow speeds with the visor up.
      Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I too find some of the other brands are steppin up their games. HJC, Scorpion, and Icon are all well priced lids depending on the model but very closely match a lot of features of the shoei, arai, and such. My HJC is16 is a great lid THOUGH I knew going in that the fit would not match the shoeis I put on my head at the store. That said the 200 I saved went towards boots. (BTW my ski goggles cost more then my motorcycle helmet so I guess that means it protects less... HA HA)

I do admit though that with the more I ride (all day at the rally with no baffle in my exhaust on the loud 675) the more I want somethign like a Shark to get better noise control and ventilation. I find that the Shark tend to be the perfect price point between a Arai and something like my HJC. Just need to find the main visors on sale. I never really understood the $80 for a visor when I never had issues with fog or optics with my $35 HJC, Icon, or Scorpion visors....

Now if only Shark had a lid with a flip down sun visor like my HJC. I love flippin that down and leaving the main visor up. The airflow is very welcome during hot days or when sitting around at like a gas station but its sunny (myeyes are bothered by sun)

Scotty - Seriously man you need to look into some of the research done on lids. I think you would be really suprised at what the data shows. Lids are a lot like cars. They will all hold up about the same in a crash but you get different materials, graphics, qulity of paint, optics, cooling, washable liners, built in visors, ect.

One dead giveaway is a rider that constantly opens his visor when slowing for a stop or riding at slow speeds such as a parking lot. They do it sub consciously but that’s because the poor optics throws off speed and depth perceptions and they feel more comfortable at slow speeds with the visor up.
        F that. HA HA. I open my visor when coming to a stop since all the lights around me are long as anything and it gets HOT in the summer....Fresh air is nice. lol

Though I also have the inner visor with my HJC I can keep down which is nice as it guards my eyes and still allows me tons of air flow.
        Last edited by soulpatch; 02-08-2011, 11:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        I am a Penn State fanatic.
        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Ok I think this thread got a little side tracked..
          back to the reason for the thread...
          who can suggest a good quality helmet in the 3 to 400 dollar range?
          currently looking at the Shoei RF1100, but am gonna compare them at the local shop.
          if you have a suggestion try to give more than just a brand name, specific models can be helpful.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
            Ok I think this thread got a little side tracked..
            back to the reason for the thread...
            who can suggest a good quality helmet in the 3 to 400 dollar range?
            currently looking at the Shoei RF1100, but am gonna compare them at the local shop.
            if you have a suggestion try to give more than just a brand name, specific models can be helpful.
            I don't think there's a helmet out there that I'd rather have.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

the Shoei Qwest or RF would be my first
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

For exact model I am after a Shark RSI this year. This one to be exact: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1275

Just need to get into season when my toy funds divert from house/skiing back to biking

I wish Shark woudl apply better graphics to their S900 line which has the flip down inner visor. So I am waiting a bit to see what comes out in Spring if they release any more...
                Last edited by soulpatch; 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

In order to pass dot inspection they must all provide the same safety tests, so yes and dot helmet will protect you the same. Ant snell helmet will protect the same.
                  If it’s a DOT approved helmet, no matter if it was $50 or $1000 it has to pass the same tests. Snell testing is a higher standard testing under more extreme pressures, and different impact areas etc.

This is what I'm saying, sorry if I was a little unclear.

Any DOT helmet regardless of price offers the same protection as any other DOT helmet.

Any Snell rated helmet provides the same protection as another Snell rated helmet regardless of price.

Like I've already said three times, you're not paying for enhanced protection, you're paying for comfort materials features and designs.

Come on now...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Right. We're all saying the same thing, even if we don't understand each other.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wait, what did you say already?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        This is what I'm saying, sorry if I was a little unclear.

Any DOT helmet regardless of price offers the same protection as any other DOT helmet.

Any Snell rated helmet provides the same protection as another Snell rated helmet regardless of price.

Like I've already said three times, you're not paying for enhanced protection, you're paying for comfort materials features and designs.

Come on now...

yep you got it.

Shark and Scorpion are VERY quickly becoming top contenders. When scorpion first came out their lids were made by Bell and less then good quailty. But they have really amped up their quality.
                        Shark... I have mixed feelings about same with Suomy... they maybe a good quality but Im not overly happy with the grafix

I really want the Icon VARIANT SALVO REFLECTIVE BLACK
                        Icon's grafixs are down this year to. I like some of the KBC stuff but thier helmets suck.
                        Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-09-2011, 09:37 PM.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Yeah I too like the Variant lid but I am not sold on it when throwing the bike around through the twisties. They say it wont lift up on you when hittin speeds but I am not sold on it not catching when really dippin the bike.

Comment

In the $300-$400 range, I like the Icon Airframe, and the Bell Star line.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

about same with Suomy... they maybe a good quality but Im not overly happy with the grafix
                              Lol I love the Suomy graphics, just not gonna bring myself to pay THAT much for fancy little angels humping on the back of my dome.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I own a modular, there cool if your out on a cruise and stop somewhere for a quick smoke break or something where you can just flip it up. Also it is extremely loud, granted it is some no name brand but it has wind noise + a whistle from something i have to vent the visor to reduse the whistle but that also makes the wind noise louder. I just upgraded to a scorpion EXO 750 eternity, DOT and ECE rated :P

Comment

Working...
                                X