X
X

cushion lever metric fasteners

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well according to the USPS track and confirm, you piston/seal set was processed and left Richmond this evening so you will likely get it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
      well according to the USPS track and confirm, you piston/seal set was processed and left Richmond this evening so you will likely get it tomorrow.
      Thanks, your effort / help is much appreciated.

A potential gotcha on the new bolts.....check my thread

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

The 2mm shorter deal doesn't do the trick on the lower and upper shock bolts or the cushion lever to frame bolt. With the addition of washers on both side, plus the nylon insert nut is wider than the stock flanged nut.

Just a heads up, hopefully you won't run into that.

Comment

okay cool, it's a work in progress, like I said, I ordered the bolts nuts and washers I have listed, I will get them tomorrow. I'll check everything and revise what needs to be revised.

Comment

Okay, ctandc is correct. With the washers 50 and 60 mm are not long enough. I have 65 and 55mm bolts on order. with the M14x1.5-120mm bolts. I'm not going to use washers on them. They have the dog bones directly inside the head, so the dog bones act as a washer. Plus if I use washers, 120mm is too short, and 120mm is the longest offered. I will take pictures and post a final chart when everything is set in stone. Until then, this is a work in progress, in theory everything should work, until I know it does, it just in theory. Picture of the 120mm bolt posted side by side with the OEM. All pictures added
          Last edited by arsenic; 01-26-2008, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Pre 98 750 Bolts

Bolts
            2x M12x1.25-52mm Item 6349
            2x M10x1.25-52mm Item 6315
            1x M14x1.50-62mm Item 7270
            1x M12x1.25-96mm Item 6356
            Nuts
            3x M12x1.25 Item 6893
            2x M10x1.25 Item 6890
            1x M14x1.50 Item 6894
            Washers
            4x M10 Item 7743
            6x M12 Item 7744
            2x M14 Item 7745

For clarity, ctandc, put this in here for the item numbers so people can order them online. I wasn't trying to step on your toes. These work for Pre 98 750 AND 600, like you previously stated.
            Last edited by GytRDunKat; 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
              Pre 98 750 Bolts

Bolts
              2x M12x1.25-52mm Item 6349
              2x M10x1.25-52mm Item 6315
              1x M14x1.50-62mm Item 7270
              1x M12x1.25-96mm Item 6356
              Nuts
              3x M12x1.25 Item 6893
              2x M10x1.25 Item 6890
              1x M14x1.50 Item 6894
              Washers
              4x M10 Item 7743
              6x M12 Item 7744
              2x M14 Item 7745

For clarity, ctandc, put this in here for the item numbers so people can order them online. I wasn't trying to step on your toes. These work for Pre 98 750 AND 600, like you previously stated.
              Not stepping on my toes.

I would have ordered the same bolts, but I was in a hurry to get the bike back together....and since the bolts don't thread into anything but the nut on the other end, the thread pitch, IMHO, wasn't a deal breaker.

More info is usually a good thing.

Comment

I must be crazy....I cant figure out what advantage you can have by changing out bolts??

Comment

uuummm... there are a few few advantages.
                  1. grade 8 bolts will not corrode like the OEM bolts will.
                  2. nylock nuts will not back out at all, torque them to what they go to, and thats it.
                  That being said, is it a must to switch the bolts? Absolutely not, when you're anal about EVERYTHING like I am, it's a good ider.

Comment

All this started actually as a result of the Ohlins shocks for the Katanas -- they required longer-than-stock bolts, which made me examine the stock bolts and come up the conclusion that the stock solution isn't an ideal one to begin with...

added: Ohlin's tech-reps repeated the same thing back to me as well -- the OEM bolts come from the factory too tight on most bikes, not permitting the dogbones & shock mounting locations to rotate freely as the rear suspension extends/contracts, and thus limiting movement and suspension effectiveness. Once I examined exactly what he was talking about, I realized that the binding effect of the interference nut used with the stock bolt meant that it had to be a specific tightness (a bit more than ideal) for the interference aspect to work; replacing the bolt with a longer bolt permitted use of a nylock-based nut solution that allowed a bit less pressure at the mounting interface (basically the spec called for in the factory manual or perhaps 10% less) without concern that the nut would come undone. This in turn, permitted the rear end to move more freely, allowing the shock to do it's job more accurately.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Last edited by The CyberPoet; 01-25-2008, 09:06 AM.
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, what CP and arsenic said, and it's just pretty!

You know, down adjusting your chain, or cleaning your swing arm.... you notice those nice shiny bolts... It reminds you of how intimate you are...

Never mind.

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                      Not stepping on my toes.

I would have ordered the same bolts, but I was in a hurry to get the bike back together....and since the bolts don't thread into anything but the nut on the other end, the thread pitch, IMHO, wasn't a deal breaker.

More info is usually a good thing.
                      That's why I added my little disclaimer. I knew you were in a hurry, I just wanted to add to the original content so people could order online and not chase thier tail all around the state like you did to come up with the same bolts!
                      Last edited by GytRDunKat; 01-24-2008, 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                        I must be crazy....I cant figure out what advantage you can have by changing out bolts??
                        Advantage? For me?

I cleaned and painted all other components when I yanked the swingarm. And there were these ratty bolts.

Not to mention that my sockets must be harder than the 16 year old bolts on my bike, as several of them got chewed up removing them.

Comment

Why was arsenic banned? It's all a big mystery it seems. He seemed to know alot...
                          For sale thread Album
                          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
                            Why was arsenic banned? It's all a big mystery it seems. He seemed to know alot...
                            Members generally only get banned from online forums when they overstep posted rules repeatedly. I don't know the specifics of why Arsenic was banned, but I can only assume that was the case. Any more detail than that is a private matter between Arsenic and the moderators of the board.

Comment

Ah, thanks. Seems like it was an epic banning over numerous epic fails. I gues I'll never know...
                              For sale thread Album
                              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Thanks for the info, it will save a lot of time for me when mine comes off! Soon I just had the forks apart last week!
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...