X

"fine tuning" your paintjob

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bump
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

If you don't see any orange peel after your job is complete can you skip the wet sanding and go straight to the polishing?

Comment

Originally posted by brez24
        If you don't see any orange peel after your job is complete can you skip the wet sanding and go straight to the polishing?
        yes...of course. however, total lack of orange peel can also mean a thin coat of clear.....which I suspect to be the case with rattle can painting. so just don't buff through the clear. be a bit conservative....ESPECIALLY on the corners and edges.

Comment

Very nice....

Comment

just wanted to say thanks for the write up will come in handy when i go to paint my kat.

Comment

Very nice info. For some reason people just can't seem to put some sandpaper to a newly painted surface in fear of messin it up but you obviously see the results of doing so properly here. Great info again
              It does not matter what you ride as long as it has two wheels and at least one on the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by kawizx10 View Post
                Very nice info. For some reason people just can't seem to put some sandpaper to a newly painted surface in fear of messin it up but you obviously see the results of doing so properly here. Great info again
                That would be my biggest fear. I'm tempted to just use rattle cans (color and clear), but I'm kind of hesitant because I'm betting automotive paint would be a lot more durable.

Comment

This is an excellent post thank you!
                  Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

i love how buffing looks, just make sure whoever is going to try this that u have your pieces well secured before you buff. ive thrown a couple small fairing pieces across the room by not doing so as well as i should have. almost lauched my front fender even though i had it pretty secured. i always try to buff with the bike together when possible but some pieces cant be reached when theyre on the bike.
                    Last edited by CHutch; 07-03-2008, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHutch View Post
                      i love how buffing looks, just make sure whoever is going to try this that u have your pieces well secured before you buff. ive thrown a couple small fairing pieces across the room by not doing so as well as i should have. almost lauched my front fender even though i had it pretty secured. i always try to buff with the bike together when possible but some pieces cant be reached when theyre on the bike.
                      ya....I should have mentioned that. the oil filler cover that goes on the kats.....I sent that flying at about 200mph straight out the bay door and into the parking lot. it almost got ran over by a car coming in. thought for sure I would have to repaint it, but it sailed like a frizbee and landed on the back side. I picked it up, then let out a big "whew"!

Comment

If you get orange peel in your color, then paint over it with clear and sand the clear, will you be able to see the peel in the color?

I don't know, I have always color sanded and clear sanded just to be on the safe side, but if I knew I didn't have to color sand, that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by CHutch View Post
                          When using the Makita I usually buff the larger pieces while secured to the bike. Otherwise I will have a second set of hands available to hold the pieces.

I recently purchased a pneumatic mini polisher similar to the one shown below, that works great when the parts are off the bike and I have no one available to assist. It also works great at getting into some of the harder to reach areas.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                            If you get orange peel in your color, then paint over it with clear and sand the clear, will you be able to see the peel in the color?

I don't know, I have always color sanded and clear sanded just to be on the safe side, but if I knew I didn't have to color sand, that would be awesome.
                            i dont know if u have to sand the color but i personally always hit the paint a little atleast so the clear sticks better. so i wouldnt suggest it but u never know.
                            Last edited by CHutch; 07-11-2008, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post

well, you really should NOT be getting orange peel in your base color. If you do, then you are putting it on WAY too heavy.

Orange peel is usually caused from laying on heavy coats of clear and it not flowing out smoothly.

Comment

Great!

That was a VERY good learning experience THANK YOU mojoe that saved your brothers a lot of future pain and heart-ache. thsnkd for dropping that jewel on us!!

Comment

Working...
                                X