X

Headlight Wattage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Wattage?

Hey guys. Does the wattage make a difference when replacing your headlight bulbs with new ones? I know the stock ones are 60/55W, can you up the wattage without suffering any consequences?

Yes! It makes a difference. If you put a brighter bulb in, you run the risk of overloading the wires and causing an electrical fire.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

So I'd have to buy this bulb instead of the higher 90/130W bulb they have?

How does that make it any brighter than the stock bulb then?

Comment

Alternately you can run a heavier gauge power wire to the headlamps, and install a relay to control the on/off functions.

A bulb loses brightness as it ages/cycles. A brand new set of OEM bulbs is likely to be brighter than the set that have been in the bike since it was new.
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a hella bulb, then? Or would it not get any brighter?

Comment

Originally posted by privatepastry View Post
            Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a hella bulb, then? Or would it not get any brighter?
            The bulb is probably brighter, but may burn faster. Try doing a google search on "bulb life silverstar" and you'll likely be able to find some useful information.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your help, bro

Comment

HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU READ THIS:
                CyberPoet's Understanding Motorcycle Lighting Upgrades.

Bottom Line: If you stick that particular Hella in there without redoing the wiring, you're looking for a fire on your Kat.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the write-up CP that helped me as well.

When you said "that particular Hella" did you mean the 90/130W he mentioned or is even the 60/55W not a good choice?

Just wanted to make sure I understood properly... I thought your article said the silverstar/hella 60/55W's were OK, but I could have misunderstood there.

Comment

I would not do ANY higher wattage bulb without upgrading stock wiring. A 55/65 replacement from anyone will not hurt anything, be it Hella, Silverstar etc. Both the Silverstar and the Hella make good choices over the stock generic "off the shelf" halogen, and may provide you with a better light source.

But just as CP mentioned you are asking for trouble if go with something in a higher wattage. Not to mention that halogen bulbs basically make light by heating up a tungsten filament until it glows, guving off light. ....so to give off more light it has to get much hotter, not a good thing

I posted an HID offer for KR members HERE in the Members Only Deals Section. Although more expensive than any halogen replacement out there, it's far and away a better choice.
                    1990 Big Kat 1100 "AKA" The Dirty Rocket

Comment

Excellent thanks for the info. I may hit you up on the HID package later - sounds like a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by slotzero View Post
                        Thanks for the write-up CP that helped me as well.

When you said "that particular Hella" did you mean the 90/130W he mentioned or is even the 60/55W not a good choice?

Just wanted to make sure I understood properly... I thought your article said the silverstar/hella 60/55W's were OK, but I could have misunderstood there.
                        What I said about silverstar & hella's is that they make a higher-efficiency bulb that has the output normally associated with higher-wattage bulbs without drawing more wattage. 55/60 bulbs are the correct bulb in ALL cases for H4 filament bulbs. The efficiency is the critical portion in terms of getting light to the road.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                          What I said about silverstar & hella's is that they make a higher-efficiency bulb that has the output normally associated with higher-wattage bulbs without drawing more wattage. 55/60 bulbs are the correct bulb in ALL cases for H4 filament bulbs. The efficiency is the critical portion in terms of getting light to the road.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Perfect - thank you! I'm going to try this route first and see how much of an improvement I get. If I remember, I'll take some before/after pics in my driveway with whatever I end up getting.

Of course the bulb that's in there now is probably so old it's not a fair comparison.

Comment

Put the SilverStar in last night (9003 ST) - gotta admit I was reluctant to spend $20 on a freakin bulb but WOW - worth every penny. What a huge difference!!

I was also impressed how *easy* it was to not only install, but adjust the headlamp on my bike (92 kat 750). Spent the most time trying to make sure the rubber dust boot thing was secure

Comment

Working...
                            X