X

K7 GSXR750 -- my new ride...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K7 GSXR750 -- my new ride...

Today was the day. I went and picked up my K7 Gix Seven Five Oh. How exciting was that!? Best day of my life, right? Well...sort of.

Got to the dealer at about 11AM and signed all the necessary paperwork, changed into my gear and headed for home. Happy as a lark except for a screaming headache.

The bike: As stated, it's an 07 Gixxer 750. It has 6800 miles on it and is damn near cherry. I saw a couple of contact scratches on the tank. That's it. It is very clean (except for the rain on the way home) and runs great. Newish rear Pilot Power and a new Shinko 005 on front.

Handling: Very quick even with the Shi7ko tire up front the bike handled very well. Flickable, light....ah hell...it's a Gixxer, of course it handles well!

Power: Good grief! One could get in trouble in a hurry on this thing. I was behind Kristy on 151 in a long, open straight and we were going about 50MPH or so and I decided to gas it in 2nd. I reached around 9000 RPM and shifted up to third. Before I knew it I was looking at 105 on the clock and I really didn't stay in it that long. Crazy power. One thing I don't like already is the throttle response. It lurches when you come on throttle. I hate that. I was able to remedy it by using a taller gear in the tight sections, but it's still annoying.

Ergos: Here's where I am having some trouble. While this bike is far more usable than the 2003 CBR600RR I rode, it is still no Katana. I ended up with about 120 miles for the day and I am whooped. I can't really see doing all-day rides on it, yet. I am guessing it is something I have to work on. Build up to it. I also think my headache and being very tired today didn't help. I haven't given up on it yet.

All of these things combined make for a very nice super sport bike, but....I am still not sure my motivations match this bike. While on the way home, I got to thinking about it -- probably too hard.

I am not one for straight-line speed. I feel that 100MPH feels like 120 and 120 feels just about like 135 (which is the fastest I have been thusfar on the Katana). I don't need to go 140MPH. It's silly, it's dangerous and the stakes are way too high as far as I am concerned. I am not knocking anyone that likes to go really fast, it's just not my thing. My thing is smoothness in tight corners. Low stakes, fun and it takes a level of skill. I will be able to pass through Deal's Gap, for instance, a lot faster with a lot more ease than with the Katana. However, I will not be nearly as comfortable on the beautiful ride over there and I will tend to fatigue a lot quicker. I will be able to accelerate a lot faster on the Gix, but I will also have to put a lot more gas in it and will eat tires like candy.

I am not saying I made a mistake. I am saying I will probably miss the Katana when I ride the Gix. I did today and that's way too soon to be missing an ex when you just hopped on top of a super model by comparison.

Me + Katana = true love
    Me + GSXR = it's complicated.

You'll get used to the ergos ... I can easely ride 300-400 miles on mine with no issues (except a sore butt) I remedy that by sitting sideways a bit ..... I'm also not a speed fan ,, but damn is it nice when all you have is a 100 feet strecht o pass and you know that all you need is half that !!!!!

any SS bike is too much power for the street ... but who cares .. they will handle the curves like others handle a straight line !!!

P.S. hubby had his seat repadded at a local aphostry (sp) place .. looks kinda strange but his butt does thank him everytime !!!
    Guylaine
    Try and keep up now

Comment

All reassuring stuff, Guylaine. I think I am coming down with something to be honest which made the ride home harder than it should have been. Thanks.

Comment

Anytime Mark ... the Gixxers are awesome bike ... I would have gotten the 750 myself but the only one left they had was the yellow one and I'm not a fan of yellow.

I'm sure you'll find it more fun when you don,t feel like crap .. when you do .. hell a gold wing would feel unconfortable !!
        Guylaine
        Try and keep up now

Comment

Thats an awesome bike!!
          99 Katana 600-Sold
          2007 Kawasaki ZZR 600-my new baby

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Sexy bike! I'm still considering that model for my next ride
              Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

That Bike is awsome, Congrats on you new ride!! Its Sweet!!!!!

I Quit KatRiders!

Comment

That bike is sooooooo sexy!
                  I'm not short.....I am fun sized!

Comment

Hotness -- Love it!
                    /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
                    The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
                    ...and miles to go before I sleep.
                    - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

that is one sexy lookin bike. nice purchase
                      R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

I'm jealous. I really think you will fall in love with her once you have some time in the saddle and have some time to dial the suspension in. Let's face it, you are coming off, what 60k on the Kat and going to a Gixx. You know this is sounding a bit like a midlife crisis...

As to the jerky response at closed throttle, welcome to FI. Buell actually cammed the throttle linkage at the throttle body (think bio-pace chainring) on the 08+ bikes to try to get rid of it, and it definitely helps. IIRC, there are a couple tricks that can be done with the fuel mapping in the ECM too, but that is outside of my comfort zone. You could also go to a 1/5 throttle insert for a few weeks, then take it out and it will seem so smooth.

Anyway, good luck with her, and enjoy riding alone. (Before anyone takes offense, that is a tongue in cheek remark, not a scorning.)
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

lucky...

Comment

Congrats on the new scoot!
                            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I'm jealous. awesome looking bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X