warm up - how many rpm max?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warm up - how many rpm max?

hy guys

I install an oil thermomether, very useful.
    With an external temp of about 15-20 C, the kat needs 15 min to warm up
    the oil at 70-75C, in this period I run not over 3000-3500 rpm.

Is it ok for you?

thanks
    stef from italy

I normaly let mine idol at 2000RPM till it will stay runing, then just let it idol at about 1200rpm. it useually only takes about 20 seconds for my Kat to get warm enough to stay runing without the choke on.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

if you are running the proper oil for the temp your lubrication is fine. what you are really concerned with is the expansion of the metals. just keep it in the lower half of the tach & you should be fine ( under 5-6k rpms )

tim

Comment

question - what about older bikes? Mine has 63000 miles on it - I usually warm up around 3k then drop it to 2000 once it will idle there.....its a real cold blooded beast.
        97 Katana 600
        [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Your idle should be around 1200... NO higher than 1500. And if I'm not mistaken, the owner's manual says not to rev it higher than 2000-2500 during warm up.

Like Fred said, it usually doesn't take too long to warm up enough to run without the choke. I usually run the choke long enough to put my gloves on, then shut it off and roll out.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
            I usually run the choke long enough to put my gloves on, then shut it off and roll out.
            That's what I like to do as well. 8)

Comment

1200 Idle? mines about 800, it sometimes goes up to 1200ish
              Just remember: Satan loves you

Comment

Any reason it would take up to 5-10 minutes for it to warm up before it can idle without the choke?

After the bike has been started/ridden it doesn't need the choke.. But, say in the morning, in the 60's, it would take 10 minutes before I could turn the choke all the way off or it would start to putter and eventually stall.

Comment

Originally posted by h382
                  Any reason it would take up to 5-10 minutes for it to warm up before it can idle without the choke?

After the bike has been started/ridden it doesn't need the choke.. But, say in the morning, in the 60's, it would take 10 minutes before I could turn the choke all the way off or it would start to putter and eventually stall.
                  Only thing I can think of is something isn't right with your carbs. Maybe some trash in your idle circuit. You should not be using your choke for that long. About 30 seconds is it. Allowing a Kat motor to idle for long periods of time will foul your plugs, causing poor performance.

Try this. Put on the choke, start it up, put your gloves on (or tighten up your chin strap) turn off the choke, and ride away. Don't let the bike sit there and idle long enough to die. Start it up, finalize things, and get going. See how it runs then.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

it all depends on how you store it! If you leave it outside like I do some days it takes long to warm up do to coolness in the air. I usually start the bike and while it is warming up I put the bike cover away, put my jacket,gloves and helmet on and by that time it is good to go. the whole time I will leave the choke at around 18 maybe 19 rpms. Then shut off the choke and check all the light to make sure they work. by that time Im good to go

Comment

court94kat: Your idle should be around 1200... NO higher than 1500. And if I'm not mistaken, the owner's manual says not to rev it higher than 2000-2500 during warm up.
                      LOL didnt exactly explain myself correctly - my idle isnt set at 2000 - during warmup i drop it to 2000 when it will STAY there - when i first fire it up it really doesnt like that rpm - my idle is around 1000 when warm
                      97 Katana 600

Comment

Ahh.... Ok then.

Might want to raise it just a little to be in the 1200 range, but glad to hear it's not at 2,000!!

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
                          Only thing I can think of is something isn't right with your carbs. Maybe some trash in your idle circuit. You should not be using your choke for that long. About 30 seconds is it. Allowing a Kat motor to idle for long periods of time will foul your plugs, causing poor performance.
                          +1

But also I'm surprised everyone has to choke it for so long. When I had my kat, even in cooler weather once it was started I could immediately cut back all choke and it idled nice and smooth... at 1200.
                          '01 TL1000R

Comment

Originally posted by h382

I did notice that before I installed the Ignition Advancer on mine the warm up time was longer, So you might think about geting one of those..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

i'm plannin on a tuneup/oil change/new plugs/carb sync this weekend - that ought to fix it

btw - for those of u who have trouble idling at 1200 smoothly - its most commonly the carbs need to be adjusted - they are usually running too rich if the idle varies or wont stay up.
                              97 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X