No announcement yet.
X

shorty pipe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks nice to me but I took my can off just to see what it sounded like and it souded like I needed to tweak something if I was going to ride it like that. Loud as hell though.

Comment

Well it is louder then the Yosh but the pipe is about a foot long and about 8 inches of it is baffled plus somehow the endcap helped with the noise too. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with it. Just sounds the same but louder.
      Just joined a couple months ago. Now I'm hooked.

Comment

Looks good to me and saves a bunch of $. I'm thinking it would be too loud for my tastes but I'm impressed with the barn door engineering. good job
        sigpic
        Pepe Bouchard

Comment

Thanks. I really like the sound but it is a little loud in town. I was thinkin of having a baffled cone tacked in the endcap. Anybody think it will help? It doesn't perform any worse or better with the short pipe. Will I lose anything with this idea?

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFred22 View Post
            Thanks. I really like the sound but it is a little loud in town. I was thinkin of having a baffled cone tacked in the endcap. Anybody think it will help? It doesn't perform any worse or better with the short pipe. Will I lose anything with this idea?

Hey I love your avatar
            Could you send me that pic, I would like to make some decals for my kat with that logo jejejej

Crisman

Comment

I liked the way the cut pipe sounded jus not in town so i put my ss2r back on...also my bike is yellow so i painted my shorty black with some hi temp paint

Comment

Yeah I switch back n forth between the shorty and the yosh. If I'm riding myself or with other quiet bikes I run the yosh. I've been riding alot lately with at least 10 bikes and most of them have GP pipes and are pretty loud themselves. I do wish I could find a shorty muffler to mount to end of my pipe though.

Comment

I was looking at one and he sent me this

Hi,
                  Tuning is recommended for best performance, but is not required. Many of our customers do not tune their motorcycle after installing our exhaust with no problems.
                  It is a misconception that low backpressure causes damage to engine valves. Harleys run straight pipes all day with no problems. Without tuning, horsepower is increased only at full throttle and torque is decreased during normal riding. If tuning is done, both horsepower and toque are increased.
                  All of our exhausts come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We accept returns with no questions asked. Please let us know if you have any other question or concerns.

does this sound right? I'm a noob, how would i go about tuning it? is it carb synching and adjusting or is there more to it?
                  sigpic
                  http://eternal-mc.com
                  http://eternalmc.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Robotic View Post
                    does this sound right? I'm a noob, how would i go about tuning it? is it carb synching and adjusting or is there more to it?

The biggest misconception I hear about exhaust changes from multiple bike forums is that you have to either re-jet for carbed bikes or get a Power Commander\TFI or something for FI bikes.

For the FI bikes you can bolt on an exhaust and go. It wont increase performance. Your bike is already restricted in the amount of air it can take in. For an FI bike, unless you are modifying the intake you do not need to do anything other than bolt on the new exhaust and replace the gaskets. Like I said, you wont get a performace gain, just a different sound. If you change the intake you need a Power Comander\TFI or something.

The bottom lne is "You cant put more air out of the back of the bike than is coming in"

The bottom line is "You can't send more air out of the back of the bike than is coming in".

Carbed bikes are pretty much the same, but you may need to adjust the air\fuel mixture some. Thats just a turn of a screw. On multiple carbed bikes, like the Kat, it just takes a few times to get them all set right. the trick is all 4 carbs have to be right. If you change the intake, you will need to rejet because you are bringing in more air.
                    Last edited by BadLuck; 11-06-2010, 04:07 PM. Reason: To add info

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

Originally posted by BadLuck View Post
                      The biggest misconception I hear about exhaust changes from multiple bike forums is that you have to either re-jet for carbed bikes or get a Power Commander\TFI or something for FI bikes.

For the FI bikes you can bolt on an exhaust and go. It wont increase performance. Your bike is already restricted in the amount of air it can take in. For an FI bike, unless you are modifying the intake you do not need to do anything other than bolt on the new exhaust and replace the gaskets. Like I said, you wont get a performace gain, just a different sound. If you change the intake you need a Power Comander\TFI or something.

The bottom lne is "You cant put more air out of the back of the bike than is coming in"

The bottom line is "You can't send more air out of the back of the bike than is coming in".

Carbed bikes are pretty much the same, but you may need to adjust the air\fuel mixture some. Thats just a turn of a screw. On multiple carbed bikes, like the Kat, it just takes a few times to get them all set right. the trick is all 4 carbs have to be right. If you change the intake, you will need to rejet because you are bringing in more air.
                      Which screws?

Comment

Originally posted by BadLuck View Post
                        Incorrect. The ECU will compensate slightly, several high performance slip ons have proven power gains without remapping the ECU. Muzzy's, Micron, Akra etc...

Not much, but it is there. Now an aftermarket filter and a full exhaust...
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i like the homemade shorty...gives me an idea...hmmmmmmm...
                          '01 600 Kat w/ Vance and Hines Pipe

Comment

Or you can just take your yoshi and cut it down about 6". I did that and my god what a difference in sound!! It sounds alot deeper and more throaty, and is still legal. Gives you the best of both worlds, nice sound, great looks, and it dosent hurt the performance. I can put pics up if anybody would like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by gnode View Post
                              Which screws?

The ones in my head. Guess I didnt word that correctly, which happens from time to time.

You may need to turn out your jets some, thus turning them. Maybe not a few turns, but add is slight bit of fuel. The key word is may need to.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

Working...
                              X