Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium iron battery ??

anybody using them yet ?
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Little pricey. They claim they last 5-6 years under normal use but...
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I spent a day doing research on this battery and the technology a couple of months ago. I definitely want to try it when the busa needs a new one.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

I'm not impressed with the average life of any Li ion battery right now, cell phones power equipment etc...

I'll stick to my Yuasa, going on 9 years on the one in my 636 although it's showing some age with as little as I've been riding.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          I'm not impressed with the average life of any Li ion battery right now, cell phones power equipment etc...

I'll stick to my Yuasa, going on 9 years on the one in my 636 although it's showing some age with as little as I've been riding.
          He's asking about Lithium Iron, as in Fe. Not Lithium Ion, as in Lithium with an extra electron. I don't much care for Lithium Ion batteries as far as life expectancy either, although, I've found it's entirely due to the charging states of the batteries.

Lithium Iron is a new type of battery out for bikes, and I would assume cars, or they will be shortly. The claims certainly look nice, and I really like the weight savings. I will be getting a Shorai as my next battery for the Kat, but I don't have any experience with them yet.

As for Lithium Ion life expectancy, I did some research on the Prius as a possible company service vehicle for the company I work for. I had heard rumors about how expensive the batteries were, so I wanted to know what the life expectancy/cost would be to factor in for total vehicle cost. I found that no battery packs have ever gone bad on the Prius due to wearing out, only user error, like putting a screw threw one while installing car stereo stuff, things like that. Toyota put a LOT of research into batteries, and as a result, the charging system in that car keeps the batteries I think between 65-75% fully charged. Never more, never less. Something about the constructions makes the batteries die quicker by being fully charged, and discharged. So your cell phone battery could last longer than 2 years if the hardware wasn't programmed to keep it at 100% when you have it plugged in, but that would also reduce the stand-by and talk times that they report when selling the phone.

Comment

Oops, missed a letter.

Thought it said Li ion, was wondering why someone would even ask about them...

My best friend has a Civic Hybrid, and it's great unless you're roadtripping through the mtns of TN. That battery disappears in a hurry going uphill and you have to drag the brakes to be able to make it up the next hill. Ask me how I know
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

A couple of the motorcycle shops around here carry them......They are extremely light, and a couple customers at one store were raving about them in their bikes..I'm leaning towards one for myself when my current battery dies.

Comment

I have two Shorais. one in my '91 750 and one in the wife's '00 sv650... love em.. I'm also a dealer.. I have a battery sitting on my office floor for a member here.. it showed up with a meter reading of 13.35v.. same as the rest that have passed thru my hands..

I've had it almost a year.. no issues at all. The day i installed it, my kat hadn't run in 6 months.. and it had the power to get it started even after i manged to flood it.

Performance wise?.. it will turn the starter faster.. which, with the carb'd kats will help get the engine started quicker.. mine now is 3-4 cranks from cold and its running, hot.. 2 at the most. after long rides if checked the temp of the battery and its a few degrees about ambient temp.

For me , the best part is that there will be NO MORE corrosion at the terminals.. no acid eating up the paint or vapor eating away at the underside of the seat.. no more nasty gunk on the SA and shock.
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                  .. it showed up with a meter reading of 13.35v.. same as the rest that have passed thru my hands..
                  so this would keep the coil voltage higher
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                    so this would keep the coil voltage higher
                    No.. that's dependent on the wiring.

13.35v out of the box means not having to charge the battery before you use it...
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

id try it but not at 160 bucks , thats 3 battery's worth
                      sigpic

Comment

I've got one in the Sprint. The Sprints are notoriously hard to start sometimes. No issues with the Shorai.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I will be replacing every battery as I need with them.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Can't wait to tryout the Shorai Jim has waiting for me.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

After doing some more extensive research including compairing specs, reading reviews, watching youtube videos, etc., I decided against the Shorai and instead purchased the Ballistic EVO2. http://www.ballisticparts.com/

Today I received a new Ballistic 12 Cell LiFePO4 EVO2 Battery. This battery is about a third smaller and only weighs 2lb 5oz. It's a 20AH battery with 410 Cold Cranking Amps. (the 8 cell works for the Katanas and has 275 CCA)

I filled the empty space with the black foam that supported the battery in the box.

What a difference! When starting the bike, the engine springs to life and spins so much faster than when it was on the AGM battery that it replaced. These batteries are pricey but now I feel confident that the bike will start every time. They come with a 3 year warranty.

I considered the Shorai Lithium Iron battery but it cost even more and had less cold cranking amps.
                              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                              X