No announcement yet.
X

How important is the air box?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap, no airbox OR air filter? Someone thought they had a good idea...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

State College isn't too far away but other than installing my jet kit (which isn't really all that hard) I don't have any carb experience. Everything I have done with this bike has pretty much been my first time.
      -2000 "750"

Comment

Well, you know a LOT more than I do then! LoL! A friend of mine that works in Clearfield is talking about getting stuff like that done to his '92 Kat. I'm just LOST.

Btw, yeah, I need new bar ends, I only have a half set :P But after purchasing a used starter and air box, funds are MIGHTY slim. LoL!
        Last edited by Pa Kat; 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM.
        sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
        2004 Katana 600 - Gone
        2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Anything I "know" about the Kat came from reading material from this site. Don't sell yourself short.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

Sorry dude, but I had to laugh. LOL no airbox and no air filter!

Comment

Glad I could give everyone a laugh! At any rate, the solution will be on its way tomorrow, thanks to Arsenic for helping out! Hopefully this will help the fact that my son can beat me in the 1/4 mile on his 16" bike :P (He really can!) Anyway, got a starter on the way too, mine flipped me off the other day in the middle of a crowded intersection. Of course I wouldn't have to worry about starting my bike at an intersection if these *&()^ carbs would be running correctly! Next step is brakes, a chain and a new windscreen. If any has any of the above for a decent price, PLEASE let me know!

Got two sets of blue LED's from Joe Florida, and if anyone has NOT ordered from him, for GOD'S SAKE, do NOT hesitate, this guy stops at NOTHING to make sure everything is working right!!! I'll post pics of the lights as soon as I get everything in place and working properly(Having problems with the remote(s)).

-Mike-
              sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
              2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

New windsceen ? Zero Gravity's outlet site can net you a factory 2nd screen for $45 or so brand new . That's close to half what they go for typically . I just got me one .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                  Why can't you guru's live in Pa? I'd really like to have someone GOOD go over this bike for me. I'm not good with these, but I only paid $600.00 for the bike, so I couldn't pass up riding for that kind of money.

-Mike-
                  Shame your out on the BF side of PA. Ida let you use my Sync gauges.
                  Joker
                  The newest addition to the Family!
                  sigpic
                  stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Okay - to visualize your problem, go take a sip of water from a water fountain. Mmmmm, good, right? Alrighty, now step on down to the local volunteer fire department and ask them to shoot you in the face with a firehose at max p.s.i.... That's not exactly right, but you get the picture??

You're about 77 miles from me. Here's my advice:

1.) don't sell yourself short - read, learn, do, make mistake, ask for help, learn from mistake, repeat.

2.) get your airbox and OEM filter installed properly (make sure your puke tube is properly attached and closed off, too), before you start digging into your carbs again (if for no other reason than to get a better idea of what, if anything, is really wrong with your carbs). Always start at stock spec.

3.) If you have to rebuild your carbs, follow the advice/how-to's and stickies on KR. This place is a wealth of knowledge. There's virtually no problem that you're having right now that someone hasn't already had and talked about here.

4.) Get your ride running and take a trip down my way. We can slap a Morgan CarbTune on it and have you humming along in relatively short order.

The PA-Katana Army needs all its minions ready to fight off the hordes of Kanadian's massing at the border. We NEED YOU! *grows white beard and points finger*
                    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

hell i'd give ya some help. i only live 55 miles from you, but sad thing is i just bought mine too and have plenty to learn about it . and CRAP katriderJIM you might as well live in my backyard, your pretty close

Comment

Originally posted by KatriderJim View Post
                        Okay - to visualize your problem, go take a sip of water from a water fountain. Mmmmm, good, right? Alrighty, now step on down to the local volunteer fire department and ask them to shoot you in the face with a firehose at max p.s.i.... That's not exactly right, but you get the picture??

You're about 77 miles from me. Here's my advice:

1.) don't sell yourself short - read, learn, do, make mistake, ask for help, learn from mistake, repeat.

2.) get your airbox and OEM filter installed properly (make sure your puke tube is properly attached and closed off, too), before you start digging into your carbs again (if for no other reason than to get a better idea of what, if anything, is really wrong with your carbs). Always start at stock spec.

3.) If you have to rebuild your carbs, follow the advice/how-to's and stickies on KR. This place is a wealth of knowledge. There's virtually no problem that you're having right now that someone hasn't already had and talked about here.

4.) Get your ride running and take a trip down my way. We can slap a Morgan CarbTune on it and have you humming along in relatively short order.

The PA-Katana Army needs all its minions ready to fight off the hordes of Kanadian's massing at the border. We NEED YOU! *grows white beard and points finger*
                        I may just take you up on that. Waiting for the starter to show up yet too. A friend is getting his out of the shop today, he wanted to go riding, but from the looks of the weather this week, neither one of us will be doing much riding :P
                        sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                        2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I know I have asked you probably 3 times now KatriderJim, but where in "Central PA" are you?
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

just from reading this .. and knowing that there is atleast 3 or 4 other members in pa.. i would recommend you guys get together for a workshop. help each other with your bikes.. alway easier to have help. not to mention it helps to have a few ppl when setting your suspension. when all else fails,Brotherhood ! I assure you its the only thing you will ever take with you.. peace love and good happiness stuff
                            Last edited by kidblooper; 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                              I know I have asked you probably 3 times now KatriderJim, but where in "Central PA" are you?
                              I think he's trying to avoid the question to protect the innocent. :P
                              sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                              2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

might want to shoot him a pm.. may not be looking back at this thread

Comment

Working...
                                X