X

1990 katana gsx600f shutting off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 katana gsx600f shutting off

hey guys, im new to the forum, and yesterday i just purchased my first motorcycle, a 1990 katana gsx600f.
    so, i go to pick up the bike, and the first thing i noticed is how loose the chain was. there was no more room left to tighten the chain either which led me to believe that its just time for a new chain. unfortunately, i didnt have a truck so i had to ride the bike back. it started up fine and rode good, until about 10 minutes into the ride home it just shut off. so i pulled off to the side of the road, put it in neutral and started it right back up. it cranked up immediately, i put it in first, and got back on the road. about 10 minutes later, the same thing happens. so i pull of the road again put it in neutral and start it up again with no problems, BUT when i went to kick it in first the chain shook and the bike made a loud click and just shut off. i put it back in neutral started it, clutch all the way back, and tried again but as soon as i try and put it in first the bike shuts down. is this just because of the chain being loose? any help would be greatly appreciated, i want to get back out on the roads!

If the sidestand was down it automatically shuts off when u put it in first. I don't think the chain being loose would make it shut off but the big klunk could be chain related.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I'm think you have a problem with the sidestand safety switch. Although unrelated it may be time to replace your chain. If you do, replace the sprockets as well.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

my sidestand sometimes get caught on the stock muffler.....check that!!!

Comment

ok thanks alot, ill definitely check it with the sidestand up, i cant remember if i had it out or not. =/

Comment

that was definitely the problem, i just took her out for a spin! wooo! thanks alot guys!

Comment

You left the sidestand down????

Comment

no, but it is kinda loose and i think it must have been hanging down just a little

Comment

yeah I got tired of that crap and disconnected mine altogether 'actually joined together'

Comment

yes i think i might just disconnect mine too, sounds like itd be a little more convenient

Comment

Working...
                    X