X

2005 Sprocket Change?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Sprocket Change?

Hey all, and CyberPoet, I just changed out my sprockets, ordered at 15/48 combo just wanted to go one up nothing big. read around here that the stock was 15/47, turn out, my stock rear is 45! So now I'm +3 in the back, did you all know 45 was the stock in the back? Did it change in '05?
    Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

actually i think it was a random thing some came with 47 some with 45 who knows

Comment

wow that would suck to get the same.well i guess you got xtras.

Comment

well got em in and went for my first freeway ride, not that bad of a change. couldn't really tell how much more my revs were because the speedo is off gotta install my speedo healer now!

Comment

Re: 2005 Sprocket Change?

Originally posted by seypea
          So now I'm +3 in the back, did you all know 45 was the stock in the back? Did it change in '05?
          I just based my information on Suzuki's own claims (in their product descriptions on their media-only site) and what they show is stock replacement in their parts databases. Many riders have said their stock rear was 45, but all of Suzuki's corporate info says otherwise.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Must be the 750?

My 04 600 is a 47 rear

Comment

my 06 600 is 47 tooth

Comment

well guessing from the replies, I think it's just the 750 that has that change, since forfurrious is still a 47. looking at one of the manuals, perhaps the 04 and newer 750's are running a 45 rear!

Comment

I am lookig at chaning gmy 02 750 3 up in the rear but can't afford the speed healer would I still feel a difference without it and does it change the spped o (I don't want to be off speed wise don't mind the revs)
                  "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Originally posted by jmanor010780
                    I am lookig at chaning gmy 02 750 3 up in the rear but can't afford the speed healer would I still feel a difference without it and does it change the spped o (I don't want to be off speed wise don't mind the revs)
                    Any 98+ Kat will be off from a sprocket change.
                    See the sprocket tables on my website for the percentages of change. If your stock sprocket is 45 instead of 47 tooth, you can find the formula's as a link on that page to calculate your own percentage of change.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the speedohealer doesn't do anything for your performance, just calibrates your speedo/odometer so the read accurately since stock is off and if you to a sprocket change, it's off too.

Going +3 in the back I was really worried about my freeway revs since I do a lot of freeway riding but it seems okay to me, perhaps I'm going slower not though since I have yet to install the speedohealer

Comment

Ok because I am really slow I am confused if I am wrong please correct me. If I go up 3 in the back which possibly will be 50(if my rear is 47 ) and stay stock int he front I will see a 6 percent difference. Since i can't get the yellow box/speed healer I speed o will be off so if I my speed says I am doing say 50 I am really doing 53ish. So I could get away with no using the healer for a month or so but think my speeed o is off close to 5mph . I would not have to replace my chain it has 4000 miles on it or the front sprocket. Also I would feel a little difference going up 3 in the back would that add hp to the bike?

I am sorry if this has already been answered I am grateful for any and all help

Comment

Originally posted by jmanor010780
                          Ok because I am really slow I am confused if I am wrong please correct me. If I go up 3 in the back which possibly will be 50(if my rear is 47 ) and stay stock int he front I will see a 6 percent difference. Since i can't get the yellow box/speed healer I speed o will be off so if I my speed says I am doing say 50 I am really doing 53ish. So I could get away with no using the healer for a month or so but think my speeed o is off close to 5mph . I would not have to replace my chain it has 4000 miles on it or the front sprocket. Also I would feel a little difference going up 3 in the back would that add hp to the bike?
                          (A) Changing gearing does NOT add (nor subtract) actual HP nor Torque output of the bike. It changes what the multiplier is for the torque already being produced. To put that in simplest terms from the driver's seat perspective, 4th gear doesn't give you the same rate of acceleration as 3rd gear, right? That's a gearing difference acting as a multiplier (in that case, in the transmission). When you change sprocket counts, you are changing the mutlipliers as well...

(B) A 6% under-reported amount about cancels out the OEM over-reported amounts. By law all vehicle manufacturers have to have a certain amount of over-reporting (USA/Canada/EU -- not sure about other places); this is a result of liability issues in the past where people claimed their vehicles were speeding without their knowing as the fault of the original manufacturer. The standard over-reported amount on any new vehicle is around 5.5%, and a bit higher on motorcycles (5.5 - 8.5% is normal, rates as high as 10% are still common). In part, this is also designed to ensure that your speedo doesn't over-report if you are running tires that are the same "shelf tag size" (i.e. 150/70ZR17 rear on a 98+ Kat) but in reality are slightly larger than the OEM tires that came with the bike.

You can find more details on these two webpages of mine:
                          Understanding Motorcycle Sprocket Ratios & Sprocket Ratio Math and
                          Katana Sprocket Ratio tables and notes

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CP

Comment

Working...
                            X