GSXF 600: Gas leaking everywhere internally

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXF 600: Gas leaking everywhere internally

Hello,

the story before hand simplified: drove 2 hours the day before without any problems, next day bike wouldn't start.

problem: found a pool of gasoline inside air box (like almost a gallon of gas), after i cleared it out bike started fine drove it around the block just to see if it would come back and about half way around bike kept bogging down/ shutting off, took it all off again and there was very little gas/ oil mixture in there and i looked in oil and gas also found its way down there as well.

searching around online it seems the most common problem for this would be the needle not working properly in the carbs. would you guys agree with this or do you have another opinion?

also, i noticed a hose coming out from the bottom of my air box and it goes down to the ground and doesn't connect to anything (not exactly sure what its purpose is) but both that hose and the hose next to it (happened to be the breather hose for the gas tank) had a cap over the end of them. i don't know what the air box hose is for but wouldn't the breather hose be useless with this cap?

-Jake

P.S. first time posting so i hope its in the right area, and sorry for the long description.

That cap is to drain any liquid in the airbox like fuel, oil or accumulated moisture.
    I agree, time for carb service and what is the petcock set on? Forward, down or back. Forward or down, you need to service the petcock also. Fuel should stop when the engine is off in those positions. Check the tank for crap also.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      That cap is to drain any liquid in the airbox like fuel, oil or accumulated moisture.
      I agree, time for carb service and what is the petcock set on? Forward, down or back. Forward or down, you need to service the petcock also. Fuel should stop when the engine is off in those positions. Check the tank for crap also.
      Thanks for the reply!

I don't believe its a petcock issue because i have removed the tank probably 3 times now and gas only comes out when its in the prime position, not when its on ON or Reserve. ill know for sure tomorrow since my gas tank is off at the moment and it will have been sitting all night.

I completely drained the tank the first time i took it off and put fresh gas in and from what i can see from the fill cap its pretty clean inside, no rust spots , gunk build up ect.

Comment

alright, so i took apart carbs and everything looked almost brand new in there but i went ahead and just cleaned everything out. when i put it back together it started and ran for a few minutes before it flooded enough to stall it.

so on try #2 i went ahead and got a new needle/seat, floats, and all new gaskets. put it all in checked float levels ect. and its still flooding and stalling out.

Comment

Did you set/check your float level in each carb?

Comment

Pull the carbs off the bike, set up an auxiliary fuel source, and let them sit for a while until you can see which one is leaking, and where from.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Check the float level for each carb.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
                Did you set/check your float level in each carb?
                Yes, the float levels were the correct height according to a the manual for my bike i found online

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                Pull the carbs off the bike, set up an auxiliary fuel source, and let them sit for a while until you can see which one is leaking, and where from.
                when i did that it leaked a little bit form the drain nipple on the bottom of the bowls, which is still a problem that needs to be fixed but it didnt seem to leak out either the engine or air box side. also i do not understand why it leaked out of the nipple since the screw to open it up is screwed all the way in.
                Last edited by Jakedasnake9; 06-08-2016, 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Jakedasnake9 View Post
                  Yes, the float levels were the correct height according to a the manual for my bike i found online

when i did that it leaked a little bit form the drain nipple on the bottom of the bowls, which is still a problem that needs to be fixed but it didnt seem to leak out either the engine or air box side. also i do not understand why it leaked out of the nipple since the screw to open it up is screwed all the way in.
                  your bowl could be cracked where the screw threads in, I have 2 that were cracked by the previous owner's "tech". Over tightened the screws... fixed mine with some fuel resistant epoxy... its been holding up for about 2 years now!
                  yep, I think I'm finally responsible enough to ride a bike that I don't have to pedal ; )

Comment

I'm surprised this hasn't been said.. If you had almost a gallon of fuel in your airbox, you need to check your oil for fuel. You can usually smell the gas in the oil and the oil level will be way above full. If either of those scenarios are the case, you need to drain the oil and fill it with new before you run the motor any more. Leaky carbs almost always manage to dump fuel into your head.
                    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by mmiltonp View Post
                      your bowl could be cracked where the screw threads in, I have 2 that were cracked by the previous owner's "tech". Over tightened the screws... fixed mine with some fuel resistant epoxy... its been holding up for about 2 years now!
                      i will have to check around the nipple and bleed screw next time i go out to work on it, thanks

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                      I'm surprised this hasn't been said.. If you had almost a gallon of fuel in your airbox, you need to check your oil for fuel. You can usually smell the gas in the oil and the oil level will be way above full. If either of those scenarios are the case, you need to drain the oil and fill it with new before you run the motor any more. Leaky carbs almost always manage to dump fuel into your head.
                      I've already drained the oil and replaced it. I probably just forgot to mention i did so, but thanks for the input
                      Last edited by Jakedasnake9; 06-11-2016, 02:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

mmiltonp was correct about the crack, i used some sealant to fix it and tried running gas through it and it did not leak from the bowls or the sides. i put the bike mostly back together to run it and it does not seem to be leaking into the air box or oil anymore, still needs a test drive though.

i am not sure how a crack would make the carbs overflow to make it come out the sides though. if its leaking then the needle would never close but the extra gas coming in would just leak out.

i will update within the next couple of days if the problem is actually fixed or not.

Comment

so i rode around on it for two days and it started leaking again, i was mad until i found out this time it was only leaking because i accidentally squished the fuel filter under my gas tank and it broke. but other than having to replace that everything is working great again. thank you all for your inputs.

Comment

Working...
                          X