X

Handlebar question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebar question

I recently changed my clipon bars to standard ones for a higher more comfortable riding position. I notice several other people here have done the same. Has anyone else noticed any extra vibration after this? I was able to maintain the rubber mounts that drop through the yokes ok.

Any help would be great.

thanks

ferg

My stock bars feel like im holding dual action sanders. I couldn't imagine it being worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
      My stock bars feel like im holding dual action sanders. I couldn't imagine it being worse.
      there something maybe wrong with your bike lol
      Last edited by ASCoatings; 12-07-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Seriously Floyd, something weird there.

OP: if the bars you added are hollow, you can fill them with lead shot to dampen the vibes some.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by ASCoatings View Post
          there something maybe wrong with your bike lol
          Originally posted by shpielers View Post

OP: if the bars you added are hollow, you can fill them with lead shot to dampen the vibes some.
          Wouldnt put it past the PO. This thing has been a mess of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post

Never thought on lead shot to be honest. Its just to settle a few vibes at the end of the bars. Sounds like Floyd has even more issues, a bit too much vibration.

Comment

Wonder what even to look for?
              The bike runs and drives straight and true but those vibrations make my hands almost numb after an hour of straight riding.

Comment

If you take your hands off the bars, do you start getting head shake? Or does it still track straight? If its still straight, carbs might be poorly synced or you're running lean. Both make the engine vibrate more.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Bike tracks smooth and straight with light hands on the bars.
                  The carbs were just rebuild completely and synced. This is actually the best the engine has ever ran.
                  Upon review it looks like the top right side of the engine near the valve cover might be hitting the frame. I bet the guy before me layed it down or something.

Comment

Wonder what even to look for?
                    The bike runs and drives straight and true but those vibrations make my hands almost numb after an hour of straight riding.
                    Tyre wear or out of balance, bearing, all bolts tight, bar end weights still on, any loose engine mounts or even is everything tight and true with the rear end? Thats where I would start.

Comment

Tires are new and everything is tight and in order. Not sure on the engine mounts though.
                      Bar weights? the PO put some bar end things in there but they look to be aluminum and decorative.

Comment

Loose triple, worn steering head bearings, out of balance tire.....
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I should also note that the vibrations are rpm dependent and not speed dependent. Thats what drives me to thinking that the engine is hitting the frame where its not intended to hit.

Comment

I should also note that the vibrations are rpm dependent and not speed dependent. Thats what drives me to thinking that the engine is hitting the frame where its not intended to hit.
                            I would put her up on a paddock stand and get the front end off the ground then start with headrace bearing. Funny thing these as they will be ok at certain speeds and worse at others. Mine flat spotted while touring france last year, even though a very kind ducati garage adjusted them i still had to change when i came home. Fine up to 60mph then just a nightmare so it was a slow ride home. Did you ever have the forks out? Are the both the same height and the front wheel spindle running true? It dosnt take much (a few mill) to put them off. What about the rubber mounts on the top yoke are they all ok?

Just tryin to think out loud.

ferg

Comment

Im not sure honestly.
                              Personally ive never had the front end apart but I do know that the forks are not stock to my 03.

Comment

Working...
                              X