No announcement yet.
X

Bandit 1200 engine question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had so much trouble getting my cam cover to seal on my 750, Im tempted to not even check the valves on the B12 before I install in, but that little mechanic in the back of head keeps telling me I should.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Listen to that little mechanic. Once installed, you will have to drop the entire engine to adjust them in the future.

I did not get around to adjusting them. The motor does run great, but save yourself some future heartache.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
        How do you know which head you have? Ive got an S1 head on my 750, should I put that on my B12?
        I'm not really sure which one I have... is that S1, S2 or S3 in the engine number? Don't know if it'll help, but last time I was on a dyno with my Kat I laid down 94.4 rwhp... I don't think anything has been done to the engine/head or cams. The previous owner before the guy I bought it off of liked to tinker. It may have a jet kit since the needles are adjustable.
        My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

S is the head number. Its embossed under the #4 Intake/Carb port. I was always told the S1 head flowed more and the S2 and S3 were the emissions smog heads. But Im not expert.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            S is the head number. Its embossed under the #4 Intake/Carb port. I was always told the S1 head flowed more and the S2 and S3 were the emissions smog heads. But Im not expert.
            I was just out there with the flashlight... it looks like mine's an S1.

If you have an S1 head and you're willing to tinker around with it, I've read it would be a good combination with your B12. You'd have to figure out the carbs and the tuning as well... it wouldn't be plug and play.

If you really wanted to get fancy, look into GSXR cams as well. People say they will add a few HP to our engines and move the powerband higher in the rev range. They'd probably have the same affect with the B12 / S1 head, but don't quote me on that because I haven't researched it enough.
            My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter View Post
              13:1

The highest pump octane you can get around here is 94 octane unless you're around a track.

I'd rather go the 1216 route mixed with the dot head. If something lets go in the bottom end or transmission of my slingshot engine... I'm going to acquire a B12, 1216 kit, and slap my 750 dot head on.
              That's what I was trying to say..... the dot head is something like 4cc smaller than the bandit head. If you went overbore, and high compression, it would go too far. A set of pistons that would go 12.5:1 or 13:1 (still in premium pump gas range) with the bandit head would turn into 14.5:1 or 15:1 with the dot head (because of the smaller combustion chamber). So if you were going to go with the dot head, you'd want a setup that would put compression around 11:1 or so with the bandit head..... that would put you around 13:1 on the dot head.

OSS has more info on this (or you could pm tone or suzukiray), but you might have to watch your pistons, too. The dot head might have to be hogged out to not catch the domes of b12 pistons. I haven't had a b12 head to compare to the short stroke 750's, so I don't know for sure.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Looking do the same swap. My 97 kat 600 engine turded out last year.

Comment

Working...
                X