X

Intermittent Starting Problem with GSX600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Starting Problem with GSX600F

I've recently purchased a new gsx600f and everything works as it should except when I try to start it. After turning the key it all seems fine, lights come on etc.
    However when i press the starter sometimes it works absolutely fine first time, however most of the time there is nothing, no noise, no click just silence - leading me to think it is not the battery that's the problem (the lights and all electricals are strong).
    Even if I do get it started, if I then turn it off and try again without moving or changing anything it won't work.

Looking forward to riding this one so any advice/tips would be welcome, thanks!

Originally posted by hwallgsx600f View Post
    I've recently purchased a new gsx600f and everything works as it should except when I try to start it. After turning the key it all seems fine, lights come on etc.
    However when i press the starter sometimes it works absolutely fine first time, however most of the time there is nothing, no noise, no click just silence - leading me to think it is not the battery that's the problem (the lights and all electricals are strong).
    Even if I do get it started, if I then turn it off and try again without moving or changing anything it won't work.

Looking forward to riding this one so any advice/tips would be welcome, thanks!
    Step one...

Clean the starter button switch.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Agreed.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I had this exact problem not long ago, there's a pin connector thing below the clutch, it makes sure that you have to keep the clutch pressed in when you press the starter button switch. Un-pin it, try cleaning it out a bit cause its probably covered in dirt and such, it might work after that.

Comment

Rectifier location on my 99. Can't see it anywhere where been looking for hour

Comment

I never noticed it untill a mechanic pointed it out tbh, the cable comes out from the right side of the box thing that controls the turn signals etc. Follow it and it should connect below the cluth. I have an EU model so it's possible your bike dosent have one of those but that would be surprising

Comment

Either clutch safety or the starter relay is faulty. Clutch safety switch is on the clutch handle perch. The starter relay is on the left side of the bike under the fairing.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

First make sure its in neural if its in gear and the kickstand is down it wont start due to a safety switch if theres still no luck try seeing if the safety switch under and behind the clutch works push it in make sure it pushes back out if its still giving u problems take apart the starter switch and clean the contacts if still no luck id suggest maybe getting a new solenoid as it might be wearing out on you goodluck ride safe

Comment

Working...
                X