X

My Kat's First Low-Side :'(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kat's First Low-Side :'(

Somehow I feel like I've gone through some perverse rite-of-passage. After work today I rode out to the bike shop to give my Kat the "once over". Since I just bought it used I wanted to do what my riding instructor said and be responsible.

So I paid the 40-bucks to have my chain serviced, the bike inspected and the Kat washed (she was dirty girl ). Then it started to effin' rain. So I ran into the apparel shop and bought a pair of clear lense shades (yes, I am honestly that safe - I even wear frikken ear plugs when I ride). After waiting a few minutes for the rain to ease up, I slip a garbage bag over my seat and head off home.

Now, my God damn town is rife with street car tracks. And these metal rails, inside little groves in the road were the bane of my existance for the precarious ride home in city traffic. But I made it 50% of the way with no problems. I even had to cross the tracks (almost parallel to my wheels) a few times and managed to muscle the handle bars across the tracks with not too much drama.

Then I was an ass and got cocky...

At this one intersection, grandma had decided to put the car in park while waiting to make a left hand turn... and this particular intersection was just a disaster of street car tracks. So like a hero I decide I'm going to cut into the right hand lane instead of being smart and just waiting for her to get her act together. So I was feathering the clutch in second gear at about 25-30mph (+40km/h).

And f***-all my front wheel locked in the street car grove and I couldn't muscle it out. The bike bucked and tossed me off to the right. I skidded on my right side (hand out, saved my blessed helmet from hitting) and watched in dismay as the bike glided across the wet asphalt for about 10 metres (25 feet) on it's right side. Two locals came charging out. I suppose the mishap looked more spectacular than it was because they were looking at me like I should be dead.

So anyway I go over to the bike and hit the kill-switch (I just filled her up yesterday and didn't need any fireworks in case fuel had spilled). And then proceeded to do the walk-backwards method to bring the bike back up right; with some help from the two guys who came running out. Somehow my nerves held together. I said thank you to the gentlemen and drove away as if nothing had happend. And I made it home without further incident.

Anyway I have pics below which pretty much tell the story. And the moral of the story is HAVE GOOD GEAR. My boots, jacket, thick denim jeans and GLOVES saved my ass (literally). All I have is some faint stinging on my right thigh, but no road rash.

The Danier biker-jacket I was wearing (had on GAP jeans kind of like these-GAP use a lot of denim FYI):

My Levin boots (Chinese knock offs of more popular stuff, but they do a wicked job for $99):

My Shoei helmet; thank God it didn't touch the pavement:

A similar version of the Teknic gloves that I was wearing (mine have the silver-metalic knucle and joint guards, but their also yellow):

A @#$@-ing steet car! :

Damage assessment; to be honest the damage could have been WAY worse. I was just lucky the Kat didn't collide with anything or skid across the rails:

And finally, how the Kat looked to my teary eyes - oh my aching heart :

looks to be a easy fix for the most part...... glad your ok one ? why did you put a bag over your seat? i have jumped on mine manytimes in the rain ill just wipe the water on the seat off with my hand.. it seems to work just fine...

Comment

Sorry if this post was kind of long winded, but this is just my way of dealing with it

Comment

looks like you only have 2 real places that will be a pain to fix... now you have a reason for a slip on and ca lens

Comment

The 2003 Kat's have some leather-mesh on the driver seat part that likes to retain water, so I put a bag over it. And yeah, I know the damage could have been a lot worse. Had she slid across the street car tracks (or out into the intersection) things could have gotten ugly.

For the most part I'm alright. I just really feel like a knob.

Comment

Man, at least you were wearing your gear. Sorry about the damage to your bike, but it sounds like you came out pretty well all things considered.

Comment

Dude, you are so fortunate. Easy fixes! You won't even notice them with some nicely applied touch up paint. Now you have an excuse to get some better fromt turning lenses. It has character now too!! I am glad you are ok.
              Colorite.com sells perfect match touch up paint that they usually ship the same day. Thing of it like a scar you can always tell a story about!!
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Yeah. If I ever grow the balls to tell my friends about it; I'll just say that some rabbit hopped in front of me on a country road and I had to choose between:

a) Killing the rabbit and risk sending the bike into oncoming traffic or,

b) Laying her down so that I could walk away unscathed from the situation.

And the punch line will be that even though I chose option “b”, the bike smoked the rabbit and killed the poor little guy anyway...

Comment

LoL. I am sure you can think of a few more too!
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

If it makes you feel better your not the first to have this happen. Over on the GTA site I've read a few bike down threads due to those street car tracks. The few times I've been up there those things are nasty on a nice clear day, never mind when it's raining.
                    Kyle

Comment

You're not the first, nor will you be the last. Its an unfortunate circumstance to have happen but it definately could have been alot worse, damage looks to be basically cosmetic so all things considered, you made out better than many, especially lately.

Comment

Thanks guys for helping me to put it into perspective. I read about Jason05 and I hope nothing else that bad happens to any KatRiders from here.

Comment

Glad you came out ok in the bigger picture.
                          Anything you walk away from is a learning experience.

I'm not real enthousiastic about you sticking your hand out to protect your helmet -- your arm maybe, but your hand is very easily damaged.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Glad you are still in one piece...but I have to agree with Cyber about the hand to protect you helmet?? Not to raz you but isn't that what your helmet was made for to protect you in a crash...I know it's pretty and all and expensive...lets not forget that but you hand could have been broken or severly damaged and that would have cost a lot more...especially the whole riding season...

Still I'm glad you are OK!!
                            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Yeah, good call about sticking out my hand. If this happens again (knock on wood) I'll try to just tuck and roll and take the impact on my shoulder. And just suck it up if my helmet hits. You guy's are right; it's the helmet's job to smack the pavement, not my hand's.

But you know what is really weird? All I can think about is my next ride. Honestly I thought I would be scared or cringe when I look at streetcar tracks. But I saw a Ninja and a Honda Super Sport this morning and wanted to call in sick at work and go riding.

I can handle the streetcar rails when they're dry - it was just poor judgment that took me across that bad one in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X