X

Did I get a deal????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I get a deal????

So the bike shop called me and said that my Kat was finally ready. They did a valve adjustment, carb synch, chain lube and air the back tire. All together it cost me $430; they quoted me about $350 in labor and then parts. It sounds to me like it was worth it; I have to go get the bike tomorrow so we well see if it runs any better.

The only crappy thing about all of this is they had the bike for 3 weeks. They said they would call in a week, they didn't; they went to a family reunion in Denver and neglected to tell me. So when they got back they said they wouldn't have it ready till Friday. I was hoping they would call me before I went to work but it didn't work out that way. Whatever, I'm just glad to have my bike back, I need to start getting more experience on the road.
    Grab life by the horns and punch it in the nose!

sigpic

$430, and they had the bike for 3 weeks?

If I remember correctly, my 600 mile service (oil change, valve adjust etc) cost me about $240 and they only had my bike for 6 hours.

Im not sure what the carb sync costs, but 3 weeks is very excessive, unless you had some other work done not mentioned here, and they had to order parts.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

The carb and valve work woulda ran about $350 here. The chain and air in the tire Ida just done M'self. Unless you requested that service, Its sounds like they were tryin to pad the bill a lil on ya. The three weeks woulda been a huge issue for me tho.
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Depending on how long they worked on it... Like how many hours... Here in AL they charge 75.00 dollars an hour plus parts... So hope that helps you figure it out.. And yea three weeks would have upset me greatly....
        Talk about droppin your bike.... How about droppin it off the trailer bringing it home from the dealer with 1 mile on it.. Yep that's me...

Comment

at the dealership I used to work at, it was $90 an hour. A "major service" for a sportbike would be quoted at 5.9 hours if I remember right, which should include everything you had done. Total= $531. (plus parts, another $50 maybe)

If you had it done at a professional dealership, you probably came out ok. If it was a mom and pop shop, you didn't get a bargain. Most of the mechanics I worked with would do work "on the side" for half the cost of the dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
            at the dealership I used to work at, it was $90 an hour. A "major service" for a sportbike would be quoted at 5.9 hours if I remember right, which should include everything you had done. Total= $531. (plus parts, another $50 maybe)

If you had it done at a professional dealership, you probably came out ok. If it was a mom and pop shop, you didn't get a bargain. Most of the mechanics I worked with would do work "on the side" for half the cost of the dealership.
            Yeah a buddy of mine said he knows a guy who would have done it for less at his home. But his place is 3 hours away; I am glad I took it there cuz I feel happy riding it now. I just needed to get it fixed so I can spare my truck. I'm running it to the ground.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerman83 View Post
              Yeah a buddy of mine said he knows a guy who would have done it for less at his home. But his place is 3 hours away; I am glad I took it there cuz I feel happy riding it now. I just needed to get it fixed so I can spare my truck. I'm running it to the ground.

I dunno six hours saddle time and cheaper price sure beats a 3 week wait in my book. but so long as your happy with it .... then so be it!
              Joker
              The newest addition to the Family!
              sigpic
              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I got two dealership prices for valve and carb sink ..$425 and bellflower motor sports said $ 225 ..just wow and will do the plugs and air filtier and gas filtier myself when i do it at 20,000 miles

Comment

there lucky it wasnt me cause i would of called a million times by then and they would of lost the job..... you tell me first week well thats what its gonna be your gone on the second and still didnt tell me ill find some one else your not interested kinda deal.... lol

Comment

3 weeks is ridiculous. The price is exactly why I do all my own work now.
                    Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

My stealership would have quoted over $600 for something like that...just the way things are in NJ.
                      -
                      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

three weeks is a long time, if it isn't better take it back.

Comment

good deal but should not have taken three weeks
                          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                          Current Bikes:
                          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Thats pretty typical around MO,,,price is about right and everything seems to take at least a week or more

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                              My stealership would have quoted over $600 for something like that...just the way things are in NJ.
                              Stealership... I like that one.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X