X

Looking For Flush Mount Lights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Flush Mount Lights

I'm thinking of installing flush mount turn signal/running lights on my 92 1100 Katana and have been to a few sites searching for them.

None of the sites specified that the ones they offer are a direct fit, that look as if they were factory installed.

Can someone point me in the right direction where I can find flush mounts that fit in the factory locations on the 92 1100 KAT?

I'd also like to wire my rear running lights to illuminate when the brakes are applied but maintain the turn signal/running light capability. Any tips and clues on that? I remember years ago I installed a small controller box that allowed that capability, but can't find it now. I installed it on a 1978 750.

Thanks, Jake

tail light modulator...try denniskirk.com

On the flush mount turn signals maybe you could find them back in the 90's but our 1100's are old tech compared to todays bikes I bought a set of APC side marker lights for a car from autozone...
    they where maybe $15 and they are flush mount and work great on the bike I used vht nightshades and blacked them out since the bike is black they look awesome
    1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
    2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
    sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
    Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
    A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1100FL
      One problem you'll run into on the front turn signals is that when you remove them you will find that part of the body comes out under the signals so that the signals have something to "hold" on to, so to put a flush mount light there you will need to remove that part, I dremeled mine, which leaves a good size hole, if that's what you want to do. You can fill the area or have a shop do it. On mine I bought some tear shaped truck cab lights & converted them to run 1157 bulbs. On the back part of the lights I used a permanent black marker to darken the area, making the lights blend in more, i.m.o. Check "my garage" for the pics.
      I down loaded your three photos so I could resize them in order to see the rear light arrangement and, both the fronts and the rears, look really GOOD.

I hadn't thought of using truck cab lights and they seem like the what I need.

My plan is to remove on light from the front and one from the rear. Then head to a truck store and see if I can find a pair that match up with the opening left by removing the light.

I'll hold off on these mods until the weather's a little warmer.

Would you happen to have the part number or a link to the site showing the Lockhart fixtures you used?

Thanks for your ideas.

Jake

Originally posted by quik89Kat View Post
      tail light modulator...try denniskirk.com

On the flush mount turn signals maybe you could find them back in the 90's but our 1100's are old tech compared to todays bikes I bought a set of APC side marker lights for a car from autozone...
      they where maybe $15 and they are flush mount and work great on the bike I used vht nightshades and blacked them out since the bike is black they look awesome
      I went to Kirk's site yesterday and found several modules but didn't find any for the 92 1100 KAT. Many of them were for Harley's. I suppose I could re-wire one of them after cutting off the connectors, but when it comes to things like that I'm electrically challenged. LOL

I wonder if the installation instructions would show which wire does what?

Thanks for that info.

Jake
      Last edited by JAKE; 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1100FL
        Jake,
        I don't think the L.P. IIs are for sale any more, I got mine off of eBay years ago, seen a pair on Graigslist a couple of years ago. As for the part number I don't know it, I looked but did not find any numbers on the lenses or the base sides, they must be on the base which I can not see. The few sites I have found that have the signals are either for information or the link leads to "Page not found"; http://www.newportcycleparts.com/cat...sigs-flush.htm

Most places sell the items with their own id numbers I think.

On the rear lights you want to come on when you apply the brakes but still be turn signals you might try a dual filament marker, one wired for the signal & run the other wire to the brake light.

If you can't get the truck lights locally let me know.
        Okay, thanks for that update. There's a big truck stop near me and when I was last in there I saw it carries a lot of lighting parts for the big rigs. I'll give it a shot first.

If I come up with something that I can use, and something others might be interested in, I'll post it.

Jake

Comment

I seen a kat 1100 with cab lights for blinkers...even with the size of the bike they look real outta place they did cover the hole/bump left over from the stock lights
          1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
          2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
          sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
          Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
          A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

Originally posted by quik89Kat View Post
            I seen a kat 1100 with cab lights for blinkers...even with the size of the bike they look real outta place they did cover the hole/bump left over from the stock lights
            Got any photos or link(s) so I can have a look-see?

Jake

Comment

Working...
            X