X

Thoughts On Katana Upgrades

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts On Katana Upgrades

So, it's been a while since I've posted. Pretty much since I highsided my bike and busted up, then subsequently repaired, the signal generator *grin*

Thankfully, the bike (and me shoulder!) are all healed up, so I figured it's high time for improvements.

I haven't been posting, but God knows I've been reading! Thanks to everyone who contributed to threads on grips, heated grips, and jet kits. Side note: the carb jetting guide on motorcycleanchor.com (http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/jetkit.htm) seems to be unavailable as of 2009.02.16, as is all of motorcycleanchor.com. Dunno if anyone here knows who runs the website or not, but I noticed CyberPoet's name in the guide credits.

So, in order of (my) utility, I'll list my most recent upgrades and what I like or dislike about them:

1. Symtec Heated Grips; price $USD33.95
    [ http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...uct_code=16025 ]
    The best 35 dollars I've ever spent. Easy to install (I ended up tapping the "Katana third eye"). The only downside is that I mounted the switch on the right side without thinking it through thoroughly, meaning I have to reach across with my left hand to toggle the settings if I'm moving >< Makes freezing days tolerable even with lighter autumn-grade gloves. Chilly days are like summer days! Go do it, trust me.

2. Ivan's Jet Kit; price $USD130 (139-ish with shipping)
    [ http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/Kat600.htm ]
    Awesome. If you're not proficient and confident with tearing your bike apart and laying into the carbs, have a mechanic do it. Personally, I thought it was a hell of a lot easier to do than I was expecting. Pros: better pull across the entire rev range. Smoother operation. Better sound. Easier starts. Decreased afterfire. Cons: temptation to utilize better pull across the entire rev range *grin* This one is probably tied with the grip heaters, but I've had the grips installed longer.

3. Grand Touring Grips; price $USD11.99 (18-ish with shipping)
    [ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Grips.aspx ]
    New grips certainly make a bit of a difference. Pros: they're a bit fatter, so they heat more of my hands when coupled with the grip heaters (see #1, heh). The contour of the grips help relieve fatigue somewhat. Cons: They're made of harder material than the stock grips, so they seem to transfer a bit more vibration (which has been reduced since introduction of the jet kit!). Trimming of the grips was necessary to permit my bar end weights to fit properly.

4. Xeon headlights; price $USD10-something, if memory serves.
    Much brighter and clearer. Makes a huge difference. No downside. Ultra-easy to install.

The next few items on my improvements list are an aftermarket clutch kit, recovering the seat, and repainting the bike. I'll post results when I'm done with 'em.

Yes, I realize I don't have pictures. Didn't occur to me to take any until after everything was done *grin* I'll see if I can post some of the completed work when I get a chance.

Rock on!

--B

Thanks for the feedback on the upgrades you did, and look forward to the pics. Still have a few of them on my list as well.

Good luck on the up and coming upgrades.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxrox View Post
      Side note: the carb jetting guide on motorcycleanchor.com (http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/jetkit.htm) seems to be unavailable as of 2009.02.16, as is all of motorcycleanchor.com. Dunno if anyone here knows who runs the website or not, but I noticed CyberPoet's name in the guide credits.
      Yup, it's my site (motorcycleanchor.com) and it, as well as a couple others I own are down for 48-hours as my ISP migrates from one structure to another (not their fault; AT&T provisioning said the new circuit should be live before the old one was cut, but it didn't happen that way). It should be back up by the end of today...

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cool feedback! Can't wait to see pics!
        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
        90 GSXR 750/1216
        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
        sigpic

Comment

Heated grips and brighter headlights sound like winners to me! I've already got a Factory Pro Jet kit...very nice indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet_Hair View Post
            Heated grips and brighter headlights sound like winners to me! I've already got a Factory Pro Jet kit...very nice indeed.

Heated grips are on my list after riding in the cold last December. Brighter lights couldn't hurt either.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Forget recovering the seat, go for a Corbin! If you value your back and sit-muscles it's the best thing for them since sliced peanut butter. New ones are expensive so I bought mine used but CyberPoet can sell you a new one at a pretty good discount.

Question: I've been looking at HID lights but the Xeon bulbs are a lot cheaper. How do they compare for brightness/total light?
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                Question: I've been looking at HID lights but the Xeon bulbs are a lot cheaper. How do they compare for brightness/total light?
                OEM Headlight Bulb: 1000 light-units (some fictional light unit just as a reference).
                H4 Halogen-Xenon bulb (Sylvania Silverstars for example): 1480 light-units.
                True HIDs - 3250 light units.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot the tires!

I went with Dunlop Roadsmart tires.

Got 'em broken in now (only the tiniest of chicken strips left), and I must say that I really like them. I've not had any wonkiness in cornering, acceleration or heavy downshifting.

Not sure how many dual-compound tires there are out there, but when I heard the idea, it made sense, and seems to work.

Anyone have tire types they've fallen in love with? Heard good thing about Metzelers, but haven't had a chance to check those out yet.

--B

Comment

I'm running the metz z6 road tec's (also dual compound) and have been very happy with them.
                    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

On the 98+ Kats, I've run:

BT BattleAx
                      Dunlop 205 & 207
                      Michelin Macadams 90x/100x
                      Metzeler Z4 & Z6
                      Chen-Shins, aka Barracuda's, aka JC Whitney no-name house-brand, aka Maxxums
                      Pirelli Diablo's (not Stradas)
                      Avon ST's

And for most of these, it was new-vs-new back-to-back 10-days to 2-weeks per tire.

My conclusion: best tire for the Kats are the Metzeler Z6's (and their Pirelli-clones, the Pirelli Diablo Stradas).

In the interim, I churned through three sets of Metzeler Z4's (before the Z6's were introduced), and three sets of Z6's, with some 70k miles on the Kats between them. For full details on Kat tires I've tried, reviews, and general Kat tire info, see my Kat tire webpage here: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/Katana/kat_tires.html

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

HID would be the way to go! It's so much better and brighter now! Pure white light and seems to have a much wider angle too. Oh and on High beam, it's just plain bright. I have a true 55 watt 5000k HID set up and it's the Ducks Nutz! Couldn't even ask for more light!

This is the kit I installed...
                        Representing the Pre's! Updated my Garage so have a look!

Comment

Where did you mount the ballasts?
                          "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey Dank View Post
                            Where did you mount the ballasts?
                            It fit perfect on the left side of the light mount cage, just beside the headlight bucket.Mine only has a single ballast. Only took 20 minutes to install, but my fairings are already off and being repainted. I used 3 heavy zip ties to mount the ballast and mounted them to the cage itself. It sits in there perfect and it's very secure, so no worries of it ever falling out.

Just make sure and take out the bucket when installing the bulb as it only takes 4 screws to take it out and it's much easier to work with off the bike.
                            Last edited by ctrailfreak; 02-17-2009, 10:57 PM.
                            Representing the Pre's! Updated my Garage so have a look!

Comment

You said it only came with one ballast? Also one bulb? What did you do with the other light did you leave it stock?

Comment

Working...
                              X