X

Chain and sprocket conversion kits...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bouldermarkb View Post
    I bought separate components for this and found them to be wonderful. What surprised me most was the decrease in vibration! I used a 14 tooth front, and a 48 tooth rear. Took 1 link out of the 120 link chain for max adjustment, and thereby took about 1.25" out of the wheelbase in the process. This little bit makes a big difference in cornering feel. Wish I had done this when I bought my 1st 1100 in '89. Now on my second, a '92, having had to sell my '89 (thanks, ex-wife!). I also find Dunlops to be more to my liking than OEM and Metzlers. Just put on some new ones that seem to have a rounder profile than Metzlers (Just went thru 2 pairs of them, with scalloping on the front and premature flattening of the rear.).
    Tool 1 link out and lost 1.25"? How is this possible? Remember, the chain links overlap, and also the chain is doubled around. Therefor you lost about .5 - .75 in wheelbase.

Comment

I'm guessing probably 2 links ... or some multiple of 2.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
        I'm guessing probably 2 links ... or some multiple of 2.
        HA! I just assumed 118 instead of 120 even though I said one link. It's one piece in your hand but you're right, two links.

Comment

2 links still doesn't = 1.25" in wheel base though. With doubling-up, angles and distance around sprockets, the change in wheel base is probably about 1/3 the actual shortening in chain length. 1.25cm might make sense??? Unless the 120 chain is already shorter than stock to accommodate the smaller sprockets??

Comment

All of the 5 series chains are 5/8" between rollers or sprocket teeth. The difference between 520, 525, and 530 is simply width.

So if you take out 4 links you shorten things by 1 1/4".... I'd be pretty surpised that you can shorten it that much with out swingrm mods, but... eh...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
              I believe the 88 has a 48t rear sprocket, but don't quote me on that.
              Mojoe on my 88 1100 I replaced the stock 532 chain/sprockets this past winter. I bought a kit listed for 89-93. My kit came with 15/52 gearing which is what the bike had, but the new kit was a 122 link chain. My orig chain was a 118 link. From all the pics I have seen here of other guy's KAT1100's the '88 swingarm sure looks different at the ends where the adjuster is. Perhaps the '88 really does have a shorter swingarm which makes the kit listing to fit '89-93. Anyhow, just cut the chain down to the proper length and good to go.
              Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Originally posted by bouldermarkb View Post
                What surprised me most was the decrease in vibration! I used a 14 tooth front, and a 48 tooth rear. .
                I ran that combo for about five years with no problems. However, I have heard that you should not have both sprockets have even number teeth as it can result in uneven wear.
                I bought the pricey RK chain/sprocket kit, very nice quality stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                  I ran that combo for about five years with no problems. However, I have heard that you should not have both sprockets have even number teeth as it can result in uneven wear.
                  I bought the pricey RK chain/sprocket kit, very nice quality stuff.
                  Yep... people say alot of things, and then we repeat them. Eventually they become the norm... yet is it true?

Anyone got any real info on that?

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Doesn't matter even or odd number of teeth, sprocket is a sprocket LOL! I would LOVE to hear an explanantion of this one.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      Doesn't matter even or odd number of teeth, sprocket is a sprocket LOL! I would LOVE to hear an explanantion of this one.

Oh, I know the "explination" part... someone does the math and throws out that fact that the same roller hits the same spot on the sprocket significantly less on odd number sprockets than evens.... and this is supposed to "even" out the wear over all.

That's the thought behind it... does it actually make a difference... That's the info I want to see. Actuall tests or verified information. Not just some math formula and someone's hypothesis about it.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Oh, I know the "explination" part... someone does the math and throws out that fact that the same roller hits the same spot on the sprocket significantly less on odd number sprockets than evens.... and this is supposed to "even" out the wear over all.

That's the thought behind it... does it actually make a difference... That's the info I want to see. Actuall tests or verified information. Not just some math formula and someone's hypothesis about it.

Krey
                        Same roller hits the same spot....Ok, it's not like there's 100 other rollers that hit the sprocket in that spot, HAHA! If you keep it clean and lubed, all this theory becomes a moot point.

Comment

Can you name a motorcycle that comes with both sprockets have even number of teeth?

Comment

01 cbr 600f4i. 16/46. The F4 had 16/45

Comment

Some 600 pres had 14/46 sprockets OEM.

But even if I wasn't off the top of my head able to state that, it really wouldn't address the topic at all with anything remotely like ... proof.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X