X

Idle Problem... Help, please!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Problem... Help, please!

I have a 1991 Kat 600, just got it over the winter. It wasn't running well at all when I got it.

I changed the clutch and went through the carbs and cleaned them out really well, and now it runs very well when I'm on the throttle. I did find that it has a DynoJet jet kit, V&H full exhaust and a K&N air filter.

The problem I'm having is that when I'm off the throttle it will either idle so low that it will eventually stall out (less then 500RPM) or if I turn the idle screw up just a bit it jumps up and idles at between 3000 and 4000 RPM. I can't get it to an in between point. As far as I know there are no vacuum leaks (the only vacuum port is the one going to the fuel tank, right?). I have the prime screws adjusted out to 3.5 turns, and the carbs are synched. Any ideas???
    Last edited by rauns20; 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM.

They will tell you to install a stock air filter, and see what you have after that. Then you will be able to see where you are at.

Comment

a freind of mine is having the "EXACT" same probs with a trophy 900 (stock)

HELP!!!!!!....PLEEEEEEEEASE!

Comment

I had that problem... it turned out to be a cracked spark plug wire... below 3k the spark would ark to the block and not the plug.... speaking of plugs check them too

Comment

in lieu of md86's absence:

check your plugs
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

your all wrong, the problem with the idle is the K&N air filter, go back to stock, trust me, it will go away.

Originally posted by elkat View Post
            They will tell you to install a stock air filter, and see what you have after that. Then you will be able to see where you are at.
            that is an excellent statement
            Last edited by arsenic; 03-12-2008, 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i got my idling at 2000rpms cause it doesn't have a jet kit to go with the vance and hines exhaust and carb pods the dealer said i needed a stage 3 race jet kit and to reset the mixture screws to get mine to idle lower
              1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
              1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
              Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

really, have you guys read anything on here? Do you have any idea what a nightmare pods are. If your dealer tells you you need a stage 3 for them, let me guess, your buying the stage 3 from the dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  really, have you guys read anything on here? Do you have any idea what a nightmare pods are. If your dealer tells you you need a stage 3 for them, let me guess, your buying the stage 3 from the dealer?
                  no im idling a 2000rpms cause the stage 3 is 100 dollars that i aint got but yeah i want the stage 3 and have from the get go i don't have smog checks and my stock air box is and always will be lost with one of the previous owners that took it a part never thinking it would be any more than a parts bike after dropping it a 70+ mph

Comment

Get Rid Of The Kn

Comment

trust me a stage 3 is NOT gonna fix that, you can try if that makes you feel better though.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        trust me a stage 3 is NOT gonna fix that, you can try if that makes you feel better though.
                        it might but really im just happy to have a bike to ride

Comment

K&N is way over rated
                          American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

not true, K&N is awesome. Just not on a Katana. K&N as a whole is NOT way over rated.

Comment

sorry to hijack guys but the trophy has

no k+n
                              new plugs
                              cleaned carbs
                              no (visible/audible) airleaks

and still "mainly on cold startup" it revs way too high?

when its warm it seems to settle down??

if i am "out of order here, just ignore......but as it has similar problems to the KAT, i thought i'd ask!

Comment

Working...
                              X