X

Pre-98 Kat 600 Pic Request

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-98 Kat 600 Pic Request

Hey guys, I've been working on my new '94 Kat 600 project, and I think I have a problem with the rear wheel alignment. The chain run is off to the outside, so I'm not sure if the swingarm is bent out to the left, if the previous owner used the wrong axle spacers, etc. It also seems like the sprocket drive on my wheel is too close to the swingarm to be right. Like you could just slip a piece of paper between there and the sprocket bolts! No contact is evident though, and the wheel turns freely.

So.... I was wondering if anyone could give me a pic fron the rear of the bike showing along the chain run, and maybe a close-up of where the swingarm and sprocket-drive meet. Basically, I'd like to compare the pics to my bike to see if the swingarm is the issue, or the wheel spacers, or maybe something else I'm not aware of without seeing how it's supposed to look.

Also, if anyone has the width measurements on the rear wheel spacers, that info might be helpful for telling if mine aren't the right ones.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

I can get pictures, but don't have any right now...all I can say is that they're supposed to be that close (at least they are on my stock setup)

Comment

Might want to look at the parts fiche for the bike at RonAyers.com

1994 Kat 600 Rear wheel fiche (BMP)

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my 750 is tight clearance as well. suppose to be that way, after 10k miles it has no problems, well that 10k by me and 20k by someone else or a couple some others

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Might want to look at the parts fiche for the bike at RonAyers.com
          That was the first thing I did, but there's not much insight to be gained regarding dimensional clearances or alignment of parts. It does seem to indicate that I have all of the required parts, though it is possible that the spacers might not be correct.

I'll look forward to getting the pics so I can figure-out what is out of order here! For sure, the wheel doesn't look straight to the subframe (in a vertical line), and the chainrun is out to the same direction. However, though it doesn't appear to be (no paint chiping indicating a bend, looks straight from the front of the bike along its centerline), even the subframe could be a little tweeked and be throwing me off a bit. Hmmm....

Guess I could also stand to investigate the countershaft sprocket and be sure it's not out of whack somehow too. Man, I want to get this figured-out, and look forward to getting some pics!
          '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

I got some time to do a little bit more analysis, and I thought of a good way to see if the swingarm might be bent.

I took a metal yardstick and laid it againts the flat part at the outside rear of the swingarm on the chain side. I then pushed it towards the front of the bike (while holding it flat to the swingarm) and it hit the rider peg bracket about 1/16" from the inside edge of it. Of course, this is possible on this bike because there is no chain side exhaust canister on this bike.

What I'm hoping is that some kind soul can do this test on their bike and tell me where the straight edge hits on or near their rider peg bracket. Please?

Comment

Sorry no pics available, but I can give you some advice.
              Put the bike on the centerstand.
              Use the method with the yardstick to draw a line on the right and left side (from the exact same spot on the swingarm one point forward and one point to the rear)
              Connect those points and use those two lines to see wether they line up with the front. (should be paralel and same distance to the front wheel)

Comment

I just encountered this (kind of) when I changed my chain and sprockets a couple months ago - I thought I had lost a spacer or something because the chain/sprocket seemed RIGHT next to that swing arm (just enough clearance so the nuts didn't scrape). Turns out that is how it is supposed to be. There is an actual spacing spacer on the brake disc side but the spacer on the sprocket side is set in to the hub and only sticks out maybe 2mm (if that).

This is the only area I can comment on (in regard to any other alignment issues you might be having).
                '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
                PurpleonBlack

Comment

Put the bike on the centerstand.
                  Use the method with the yardstick to draw a line on the right and left side (from the exact same spot on the swingarm one point forward and one point to the rear)
                  Connect those points and use those two lines to see wether they line up with the front. (should be paralel and same distance to the front wheel)
                  That sounds like a good idea, except this bike has no centerstand, and the front wheel is bent pretty badly. Actually, I have a swingarm stand, but I don't think I can rely on the front being straight until I obtain a new front wheel. Luckily, the previous owner got as far as replacing the forks, so those should be straight. No guarantee, but they should be.

There is an actual spacing spacer on the brake disc side but the spacer on the sprocket side is set in to the hub and only sticks out maybe 2mm (if that).
                  THAT is helpful. From that info, I'm pretty sure my spacers are correct. The question now is if the swingarm is bent, the subframe, or both.

The subframe doesn't appear bent, but it could be. That straight edge test I was asking for should help me tell if the swingarm is bent one way or the other if someone gets a chance.

Comment

Working...
                  X