X

1992 katana wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 katana wont start

hi guys. i just found out about this website and registered. i have a 1992 katana that i have not ridden in about 3 months. i went to start the other day and the battery was completly dead. i went out and bought a new battery and tried to start it. it would kick over and almost start but no luck. so i realized i had to put the new battery on a charge since i had to fill it with acid.

now the bike doesn't even kick over. all i get is a ticking sound when i try to start it.
    can anyone please help out with this problem. i think it could be the starter. i am not sure. i tried to start it with the old battery for some time before i bought the new battery

thanks again

How old is the battery? You might have a dead battery. You should put it on a charger or have it tested at pepboys or similar. The ticking is the solinoid not having enough amperage/volts to kick over the starter.
    1996 Katana - Sold
    2000 YZF600R - Killed by little old lady
    2006 Tacoma - Faster then the lawn mower

Fish are safer then senior citizens : )

Comment

the battery is new. i just bought it. when i first got it i used my car to jump start the bike. at first it kicked over but then it stopped

Comment

Still sounds like a dead battery. Make sure you tightened everything up. You could also try jumping it again from your car (with the ignition on the car OFF). IF it still just clicks and you're confident you have good power, you could try tapping/smacking the starter w/ a hammer while hitting the start button (it works on cars w/ bad starters anyways).

Comment

ok i will try that out. thanks

Comment

So your carbs are gummed up and your gas is stale.
            Next thing is I'm betting your battery is dead.
            Did you follow the instructions on the new battery?
            I'm hoping you didn't fry it. Read the instructions.
            You should fill it with acid, wait 30 minutes then recheck the level. Wait then charge. After charging it if the level has dropped (and you are out of acid) refill with distilled water. The battery should read about 12.8 volts charged. Now while the battery is sitting and charging, get a can of carb cleaner. (maybe bring the battery to the auto-parts store and have them check it) also see if they have Techron.
            Remove the air box (that big black lumpy thing) and spray the carb cleaner into the carbs pay carefull attention to the little holes. Drain the old gas, add new fresh gas to the tank and give it a go. Remember to use the vapor drain tube that came with the battery! Make sure it is routed to the bottom of the bike. Acid will drop from this and will rust stuff..

Oh put the air box back on before trying to start it.
            It's a pain I know but it is needed. If you get it running add the Techron to the tanks and refill the tank. You should plan on really cleaning the carbs but maybe this will get you started.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

holy thread bump, batman!

Comment

Working...
                X