Katana of the Month - August 2008  lee3645

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up

Gearing Up If your going to ride you need good gear!
Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Max Vador
Katrider

Default Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket

well after hearing so many rave reviews about Joe Rocket i went out and picked up a mesh armored jacket.

if you want an honest opinion on this jacket, here you go:

It's Great!

the inner mesh is very breathable and light, and the outer mesh is a very heavy tight weave. the jacket is considerably heavier than what i'm used to, but that comes with the territory of the thicker weave and 100 zippers.

the armor is non cumbersome and you barely notice it's there, except for the elbows. i noticed that the elbows were slightly too wide for the compartment they are in which caused them to curl and become uncomfortable, so i removed them.

the vents are all easy to reach for easy opening and closing aside from the back vents of course, and you don't get the steam cook feeling you do with leather or other loose fitting mesh.

the cowl and collar tuck right up to where my helmet ends, giving a nice seal from wind and the riding pants zipper is a nice addition although i do not wear zip-to pants, and just use the belt loop straps that are also there.

I purchased the jacket used from a friend that owns a pawn shop for $80 (MSRP $160 for the XL) and i'd even recommend it at the $160 price.
Max Vador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
buffalobill
Knee Dragger

eBay ID: andropogon_scorparius

Do you think you'd be willing to jump from a car door in that jacket at what speed?
buffalobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
maniac1886
Kat Daddy

Thats honestly a good question. Never heard it put like that.
maniac1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
loneraider
Knee Dragger

Red face

I bought a mesh jacket / joe rocket phoenix 11.0 only wore it once. Just don't like the feel of it. My leather motorcycle jacket is padded & has air vent
zippers front and back to keep me cool, I'll take my thick leather jacket
for protection over mesh any day. Just my 2 cents/
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Kat Floyd
Knee Dragger

For what its worth I have a mesh joe rocket jacket too.
I could only imagine wearing leather in the 90+ humid FL weather.
For the 10 miles I might drive in a day its ok for me. I dont do highways and all that jazz.
Kat Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
buffalobill
Knee Dragger

eBay ID: andropogon_scorparius

Well, it looks like a good jacket as I saw it online, don't take any of that armor out, specially the back pad.
I wear a mesh jacket too when the temp is above 80f, but mine has thick pads everywhere, and I can dunk it in water for evap cooling too. Did that on a 90f day, it felt uneven but really chilled me for half an hour.
buffalobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
JIB
Kat King

If the elbow pads don't seem to fit right, maybe you can modify them slight to fit in the pocket better, but I would not remove them. Believe me, if you go down, you will want the elbow pads.
JIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
TRPUT
Kat Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Vador View Post
the elbows were slightly too wide for the compartment they are in which caused them to curl and become uncomfortable, so i removed them.
You really need the armour. Without the armour, you might as well ride naked. In reality, a mesh jacket's main purpose is to hold the armour in place. If you wear it, it will mould to your shape over time. In any case, getting used to the slightly uncomfortable feeling is a lot easier than getting used to no elbows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobill View Post
Do you think you'd be willing to jump from a car door in that jacket at what speed?
I'm not sure that wearing a leather or textile jacket would be part of my decision-making process. I've been with riders who have come off wearing textile gear and it has protected them perfectly. No road rash. The bits that broke, like thumbs and ribs, would have broken no matter what they were wearing. And certainly, in heat, textile is the way to go. You swap to textile at 80*. Over here, it can reach 110+, so mesh - with armour - is the go. Leather comes into it's own if you're really into speed because it will protect more of you for longer as you slide down the road. At everyday speeds (up to about 70 mph) the difference in protection between good textile and leather is minimal.

Last edited by TRPUT; 06-19-2015 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
TRPUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Max Vador
Katrider

oh yeah the elbow armor i took out is currently wrapped around the arm of my couch to reform it. they'll be put back in.

naturally its a mesh jacket so i'm not expecting it to help me re-enter the atmosphere unscathed, but with 3 seperate layers of mesh on top of armor, i feel safe in saying it'd protect me from any type of rash by the time i came to a stop.
Max Vador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #10
katanarider
Kat Daddy

I've got a leather Joe Rocket, I love it.
Owned it for about 6 years. Hot days are not that much of a problem unless its humid. I can really tell a difference when its humid, so I just unzip the front/main zipper. I abuse it with a back pack EVERY TIME I RIDE. Its outstanding, I can't say enough. The zippers have impressed me so much. I thought they would at least snag once or twice with in 6 years but they haven't. The elbow pads do seem slightly big if your wearing it like a winter coat, but when I'm in the riding position they're great. I did take the upper back pad out because the Kat600 seat raises up and wringles the foam pad which was uncomfortable. Cleaning, I've not once had to oil it or wax it. At this point its only taken a damp cloth to clean it, even the greasy spot just wipe off with a wet cloth. GREAT !

Oh, icon super duty gloves rock too !

Last edited by katanarider; 07-04-2015 at 08:26 AM..
katanarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up