X

key. broke. in. ignition. ****.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• key. broke. in. ignition. ****.

my key has broken off, in my ignition. if you could not already tell.

hahhahaha

ok now that everyone besides me has had a good chuckle at my plight... has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do/how much did it cost for someone to break into the ignition, get the key out, and get a new one made... i can start my bike iwth a screwdriver, but can maybe go 60 more miles on the gas in the tank. yea. didnt sound so bad until you thought about not being able to put gas in it HUH? hahah

f me.

thanks guys.

How stuck is it? Maybe a powerful magnet would fetch it out?
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

i have zero (0) powerful magnets lying around...anyone used a magnet to get a broken key out of an ignition? lol

its deep. like you have to shine a flashlight in it to see the key. the magnet is doubtful at best but thanks anyway

Comment

Magnets will NOT EVER remove a key. Keys are made from Brass and not magnetic. A locksmith should be able to extract the key. If you lived near me, I would be able to help. I removed plenty over the 20 years doing lockwork. Sometimes you might get lucky if you get a coping saw blade, Snap it in half and try to inset it along or under the key and allow the barbs of the blade to "grab" to the key to assist removal. However, dont go nuts, you break the blade in there and it'll only jam the key further. You've got 60 miles of fuel to get to a locksmith. Plan accordingly. Just call and ask for quotes first. Some charge up to 100.00 for extractions at their place. Once the keys out.. Remaking it is extremely simple. Just hold onto the top half of the key. They will need that part too.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

my first though is the very small screwdrivers that might be able to catch a edge and pull it out, my second though is somehow geting under the backof the ignition taking the electronics part off and again using a small screwdriver to push it out, im talking the jewlery kind , another though to is can the top of the gastank cap be opened up ifyou take all the allen bolts out?
          sigpic

Comment

I had this happen in a car once, was broken in the ignition pretty well, what i did was put a drop of crazy glue on the top part of the key, and press it in so it hits the top of the key broken in the ignition, if that makes sense. Let it set for a few seconds then try pulling it out. Just be careful and only use the smallest amount possible of crazy glue as to not get the top of the key stuck to the actual ignition, but just to the key
            2002 Kat 600, yosi oval pipe, clear signals, smoked windshield, k & n, jet kit, fender delete

Comment

Originally posted by Malloc View Post
              another though to is can the top of the gastank cap be opened up ifyou take all the allen bolts out?
              No . Tried . Bent the HELL outta the rim . Not pretty .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by jmmullin View Post
                i can start my bike iwth a screwdriver, but can maybe go 60 more miles on the gas in the tank. yea. didnt sound so bad until you thought about not being able to put gas in it HUH?
                You only have 1 key for the bike? That's always a recipe for disaster!

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                No . Tried . Bent the HELL outta the rim . Not pretty .
                Won't work any better on the 98+ either...
                No key = no fuel cap access = pick the lock, drill the lock or get a new tank.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Paperclip with a small bend in the end
                  insert and try to hook one of the keys
                  teeth and a lot of patiences.

Comment

Locksmith!
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

Comment

I was thinking the crazy glue idea as well. But a SMALL amount. A gel type would be best.
                      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                      -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by big_phil View Post
                        I had this happen in a car once, was broken in the ignition pretty well, what i did was put a drop of crazy glue on the top part of the key, and press it in so it hits the top of the key broken in the ignition, if that makes sense. Let it set for a few seconds then try pulling it out. Just be careful and only use the smallest amount possible of crazy glue as to not get the top of the key stuck to the actual ignition, but just to the key
                        Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Think I'd pursue other avenues or pony up and pay the locksmith rather than take a chance of locking the tumblers and possibly the key requiring a new ignition.

JMHO...
                        It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Turn your bike upside down and shake it!

I wouldn't submit such a smartass answer if several peeps hadn't already given you about every serious suggestion imaginable.
                          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

stevieb, you think a vertical motion would be better or side-to-side? haha

crazy glue. we'll see how that works when i go back home; i'll let yall know when I lock up my entire ignition and may need a spare one you might have lying around. thanks guys

Comment

I had key break off in gas cap last Friday. Luckily (??) The new key that was cut didn't fit gas cap or I would have been stuck a gas station (Although it fits Ign and seat lock???)
                              I used a small needle nose electrical pliers to remove broken section then stripped down cap to file tumblers to fit the key I have. (lost springs from top plastic sliding lock protector, never had one apart before so didn't know its removed from bottom)
                              You can do the same for ign, there is a small spring loaded locking piece at base of lock mechanism ( if you need a new key or it doesn't work right)
                              If you have a spare key all you have to do is remove broken piece.
                              Around here ( Orlando Fl.) its about $70.00 for a locksmith to fix it.
                              PJ
                              I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it.
                              There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

Comment

Working...
                              X