X

Everyone wear boots?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone wear boots?

OK, I wear a jacket, helmet and gloves all the time when I ride. I also wear regular jeans. I know that's not the best protection, but better than shorts... Now having said all that I never wear boots. I don't even own a pair. I usually wear sneakers. Does everyone else wear boots all the time when they ride? Down here half the guys on sportbikes have on shorts and a tank top, but 99% wear a helmet inerestingly enough. Cruiser riders almost never have helmets on, but often have jackets and long pants. Just a little observation that's sorta related to the boots
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

I'm the same basically. Helmet, gloves, jacket all the time. I don't have riding boots, but I wear Texas Steer work boots and tuck the laces. It works for me.
    > Vince <

05 Katana 600
    97 Mustang GT
    95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

In the Northern California sportbike community (exemplified by forums like BARF and SBR), riding without gear is strongly socially unacceptable. It's very very unusual to see someone on a normal street ride without helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. Many (including myself) add overpants too. Full leathers and race boots are expected for the weekend warriors playing in the mountain twisties.

Cruiser riders are more likely to wear less gear, so I see them more often with jeans and bare hands and open-face helmets with goggles. Never noticed their footwear though.

My philosophy is to decide which skin I dislike, then leave those parts uncovered. Since they abrade away so quickly, jeans and sneakers count as uncovered. A jacket riding up to show skin or T-shirt in back counts as uncovered. Gloves without Kevlar and gauntlets count as uncovered. Boots without toe and heel caps, and hopefully ankle armor, counts as uncovered. Open face helmet counts as uncovered, since I want a chin bar between me and the pavement.

Comment

I used to wear steel toe boots all the time, but I wanted more protection for my ankles and shins. Recently did my first trackday and it was a great excuse to get me some good boots, so I bought a pair of these in black...

Setup is an Italian designed boot being imported to the US by the same folks that bring us Sidi boots. The construction of the boots is very similar in...

They really aren't as uncomfortable as they look. I wear them ALL the time, even if I'm going around the block. Aside from the protection benefits, they are 20 times easier than lacing up a pair of boots I have. I just stick my foot in, zip 'em up.
        The only downside is they sound a little like high heels when I walk in somewhere.
        '01 TL1000R

Comment

A good pair of boots should be comfortable WHILE IN RIDING POSITION. Similar to a ski boot. They are designed to be effective and comfortable while on the bike, not while posing on the sidewalk.

Steel toes will save your pedicure but most work boots don't have plates in the ankles or shins. A good pair of riding boots will.

A good pair of riding boots is DEFINATELY worth the $$$$.

And yes, when I first bought my bike I rode in hikers for the first 3 months. Then over the winter I went out and got a deal on some boots. The difference is like night and day. Now I NEVER wear sneakers on the bike. NEVER.

Comment

Boots are important pieces of gear and that is why I bought two pairs. One of the pairs is a set of Icon Freestyle boots. They're comfortable to wear and I can walk around in them all day if I had too. They cover up past the ankle but not much more. The second pair is a set of Gaerne Dry Sport Touring boots. They're designed to be waterproof and are great for distance riding.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful info. Guess I'll go shopping for a comfortable pair of boots. Was hoping to buy online, but I guess this is something I'll have to try on. Ehhh, It'll give me a good excuse to buy the LEDs I've been wanting

Anyone have an opinion on the most comfortable boots with good protection? And why don't I see more boots that come in yellow

Thanks again.
              ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I used to always wear sneaks until I had a car kick up a nice rock and it landed right on the tip of my sneaker and numbed the whole front of my foot for a few seconds. I still dont wear real "riding boots" but either a very heavy shoe or heavy tipped boots.

Comment

I wore combat boots my first season but upgraded to a pair of Alpinestar SMX boots after that. Now it just feels weird if I wear anything other than proper boots.
                  Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by bobs
                    In the Northern California sportbike community (exemplified by forums like BARF and SBR), riding without gear is strongly socially unacceptable. It's very very unusual to see someone on a normal street ride without helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. Many (including myself) add overpants too. Full leathers and race boots are expected for the weekend warriors playing in the mountain twisties.

Cruiser riders are more likely to wear less gear, so I see them more often with jeans and bare hands and open-face helmets with goggles. Never noticed their footwear though.

My philosophy is to decide which skin I dislike, then leave those parts uncovered. Since they abrade away so quickly, jeans and sneakers count as uncovered. A jacket riding up to show skin or T-shirt in back counts as uncovered. Gloves without Kevlar and gauntlets count as uncovered. Boots without toe and heel caps, and hopefully ankle armor, counts as uncovered. Open face helmet counts as uncovered, since I want a chin bar between me and the pavement.
                    Very well said! 8)

Comment

Friday I was so busy at work I never got the chance to
                      change out of my boot..
                      They were a bit hot but other than that..
                      Oh they are old AGV race boots..
                      (I wear either those or my Doc's every time I ride)

You don't have to wear "motorcycle boots"
                      Good work boot are just fine IMO

Comment

My first pair were some Alpinestars short boots they were more like tennis shoes but with ankle protection...liked them but wore them out...then I bought a pair of Icon Super DutyII...I still wear them because they are comfortable...also they feel safe and sturdy...but they don't offer any shin protection...I got hit by a small rock in the shin one day while riding and decided I needed something taller...I didn't like the riding boots because I would have to change them at work...and I don't want to carry two pairs of shoes....so I bought a pair of the Icon Field Armor boots...at first they were really uncomfortable but once I broke them in they weren't half bad...just took a little while to get used to...I like them because they don't look like regular riding boots but still offer the protection...but it's a personal preference...
                        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                          I didn't like the riding boots because I would have to change them at work...and I don't want to carry two pairs of shoes....
                          I keep a pair of Birkenstock sandals in my desk drawer and change when I arrive at the office. That works fine in Silicon Valley, might not go over so well in the uptight East 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                            ...so I bought a pair of the Icon Field Armor boots...at first they were really uncomfortable but once I broke them in they weren't half bad...just took a little while to get used to...I like them because they don't look like regular riding boots but still offer the protection...but it's a personal preference...
                            I have the Icon Field Armor boots as well and I love them. Jax is right though, once they get broke in they are fantastic. Easy on and off too. They have lots of prtection, but they do run small. I had to go a half size larger.

Well that's my 2 cents anyways.

I would recomend looking around a lot, and actually trying them on. Different boots have different fits.

Good luck.

Comment

id like to wear boots but i have such foot issues lol. it took me forever to find a pair of work boots to actually work in. ended up with redwings in some specific wide size. i know theres no chance of finding a decent riding boot in just the right size to fit me right.

i still dont like the feel of riding in steel toes, guess id just have to get used to it. i like the looks of the icon boots(forget the model) they look like street boots basically.
                              03 katanika

Comment

Working...
                              X