X

Revs drop and relay dies Help??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revs drop and relay dies Help??

Hi all i'm a new member hoping to get some advice and help with my 95 600 model that iv had for over a year and never had an issue.
    I'm hoping someone here can help me with a strange issue. I was riding for a good hour and half when suddenly the revs kept diving almost causing the bike to stall and then shooting back up again to where they should be. I stopped to check what was wrong and the engine died. when I tried to start her again the electric start was totally dead. I changed the starter relay and that got the starter working as normal again. Tried to ride the bike an got a few feet down the road before the revs started dipping again and the engine died same as before, it also has killed the electric start again. Any ideas would be appreciated??

Welcome to KR

Sounds like an intermittent connection. I'd check the side stand safety switch and run/stop switch for good reliable operation. I'd start with the side stand switch.

Comment

thanks for your reply, I will have a look at the side stand switch, I'm just hesitant to start the bike again as every time it cuts out it cost me Ž£11 in a new starter relay. what ever is causing it seems to blow them, i'm already on my third lol

Comment

Originally posted by NottsKat88 View Post
        thanks for your reply, I will have a look at the side stand switch, I'm just hesitant to start the bike again as every time it cuts out it cost me Ž£11 in a new starter relay. what ever is causing it seems to blow them, i'm already on my third lol
        Hmm...that's messed up. They're usually pretty beefy. In order to fry that relay, you have to be pushing some serious amps through it....So...

I would pull the (-) cable on the battery, find out where it is grounded and clean that connection really well. Make sure the (+) isn't corroded too...Check any and all connections for signs of arcing or corrosion, because corrosion = resistance and resistance = heat & heat = bad...
        Last edited by RobertTravis; 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I will look at that as well thanks. I guess the relays are dying. Every time the engine dies so does the electric start and to get it working again I have to put a new relay on. Yesterday I fired the bike up left it to warm up, by the time I got to the bottom of the road the revs where bouncing around again then she died and too did the electric start. I just cant work out how the two are connected. Once the engine is running surely the electric start is doing nothing. All other electrics work fine lights etc..

Comment

I don't know...very strange that the RPM is bouncing around like that. I'd question whether they are related...Although...

If you have bad grounding/earthing, then that could affect your coil voltage and just about anything else - including your starter.

It gets pretty moist up in your neck of the woods, so some corrosion on those terminals seems probable.

Comment

Ill give those a look at as well, thanks again for the advice. It is a puzzler, just seems strange how this happened the first time during a nice warm sunny day and id been riding for a good hour and a half no problems then all of a sudden whilst I was just going along at normal speeds the revs starts bouncing until engine dies. As you said maybe two separate issues..

Comment

Working...
              X