Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why bother having your shock serviced at regular intervals?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why bother having your shock serviced at regular intervals?

Yeah I know a suspension guy selling shock servicing, What a shocker.

Here is a example of what some of the shocks I have done look like inside, This is not just for shocks either as I have seen some forks in the same condition.

Obviously you will need a rebuildable shock to correct this issue but I have torn down a few non-rebuildable shocks from pre and post kat's and this is what they look like inside.

I will let the images do the story telling as they don't lie.

So how many think that a shock in this condition could perform even close to decent?

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 10-22-2011, 08:10 PM.

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
    So how many think that a shock in this condition could perform even close to decent?

Pop Quiz?

Is this multiple choice?

Now that I have a shock that can be serviced, I'll be sure to keep it on the service list every so often. I like how this thing rides too much.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The holes are sealed off for that extra damping......
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

um... I'm really bad at taking tests.... but if you give me till friday i'll turn in the home work.

can kanotuna shocks be rebuilt? and bandit shocks?
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

I like the multiple choice idea.

(1) They added to many holes and had to plug them up.

(2) The designed it that way to compensate for the thinning fluid over years.

(3) I don't see anything wrong.

(4) Wow how will that thing even work near correctly.

Tmod

Comment

I vote for #2, and 5!

So, how often are the shocks to be serviced? Intervals of time and or miles?

Oh, and why does Suzuki put dirt inside the shock in the first place? Shouldn't they at least put it in places that wouldn't matter?

Comment

Speed holes.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

wow , thats bad stuff. If I keep the kat long enough I will be sending you the shock for another service in 3 years.
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

On average a Track rider will have the shock serviced every season, If you ride in the wet on the street then that would be a reason to have it serviced every two years or so, Also around 20~25K you should have the suspension serviced.

The thing about this is you never really feel a loss as it is very progressive, The owner of this shock had the complaint that the shock would not return under rebound. Well as you all can see there was a reason for that.

Most of what you see there is the fluid that has broken down and turned into a wax mixed with a bit of dirt that migrates in and of course wear of the valve sealing band.

The post (98~06) 750 is the only shock that is rebuildable on the kat line, The bandit 1200 shock can be rebuilt as well.

Interesting note that I found while tearing a non-rebuildable shock apart was that there is not compression damping, No valves for it just a couple slots. The rebound valving had a couple shims and a couple orifices for fluid flow and that was it. The stock non rebuildable shock is just there to hold the spring and support the bike, As the damping is minimal at best.

Tmod
                  Last edited by Tmod; 10-23-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                    The post (98~06) 750 is the only shock that is rebuildable on the kat line, The bandit 1200 shock can be rebuilt as well.

Interesting note that I found while tearing a non-rebuildable shock apart was that there is not compression damping, No valves for it just a couple slots. The rebound valving had a couple shims and a couple orifices for fluid flow and that was it. The stock non rebuildable shock is just there to hold the spring and support the bike, As the damping is minimal at best.

Tmod
                    Exactly the reason I noticed such a huge difference replacing the OEM shock on my 600 with one of your massaged and rebuilt 750 units. Best thing I did for my Kat !!
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                      Exactly the reason I noticed such a huge difference replacing the OEM shock on my 600 with one of your massaged and rebuilt 750 units. Best thing I did for my Kat !!
                      +1
                      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Yeah still need to replace my shock for a rebuilt 750

Comment

Had plans to have Tmod rebuild my shock this winter but then I had to replace my helmet. Now I don't know.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thats why i went r6 =) couldn't be happier thanks again tmod.

Comment

Hey Tmod, I got a pre 750 and I am thinking about some love to the suspension. Whats the recommendations here. I am 5'10" and lets just say chunky . I never track but love twisty country roads. The kat will be mainly ridden around town with some play time on occasion. So lay it on me what am I looking at for my kat.
                              `03 Shadow VLX
                              `92 Kat 750 Project
                              ~M109R in the near future
                              Originally posted by arsenic
                              Oil's like religion, there's a million of them and yours is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X