No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rode in the NGa mtns. turned over 87K.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• Got the GSXR forks & 17" wheels mounted front and back now that order has been restored to the forum/info... whew! tracy:tracy

Mounted canyon cages to the FJR today...ONLY to have highway pegs on it. Went to put on the peg mounts (like 3pc P-clamps) and one of the clamp halves was 1.25" & the other was 1"...Replacements are backordered until the 20th...

I ordered a different brand...should have them Tuesday. They're chrome so I have to paint them. It's always something with these people...

Comment

• Got all my fastener confusion sorted out. Choke cable reattached to carbs, tank lines all connected. Plan was to put the tank and seat on, roll it out in the driveway, and see if it runs/leaks/explodes. Then worry about carb synching after that. However, I can't get the tank on. Seems like something's binding up preventing it from seating. Will take that and a couple other questions about reassembly over to the mech side.

Comment

• Finished reassembly. Dragged it out to a safe place in the driveway, grabbed my fire extinguisher, and tried to start it. No luck, but I only got to try a few times as rain moved in and I put everything back inside again. At least it's off the stands and assembled now. I think my next move will be to get a couple gallons of fresh gas for it to see if that'll help it start...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
            Finished reassembly. Dragged it out to a safe place in the driveway, grabbed my fire extinguisher, and tried to start it. No luck, but I only got to try a few times as rain moved in and I put everything back inside again. At least it's off the stands and assembled now. I think my next move will be to get a couple gallons of fresh gas for it to see if that'll help it start...
            Where's the pics???

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
              Finished reassembly. Dragged it out to a safe place in the driveway, grabbed my fire extinguisher, and tried to start it. No luck, but I only got to try a few times as rain moved in and I put everything back inside again. At least it's off the stands and assembled now. I think my next move will be to get a couple gallons of fresh gas for it to see if that'll help it start...
              Turn the petcock to prime for~30 seconds first. Initial start when the carbs were dry is always hard.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Sorry, no pics... I don't have a smartphone and the camera batteries are dead... :-/ She's not much to look at anyways. I got it for $1 back a few years ago...

Anyways, we had some nice weather again today. Topped off the tank with some fresh gas. Primed for 15 seconds. Tried to start, no go. Huh. Oh geez, I was in such a hurry I forgot the choke today (I had used it yesterday though). Choke, start, fired right up! Despite not being synched yet, sounds smoother than it ever has.

Futzed around with the idle, but just couldn't get 1300 rpms. Best I could do was 1400-1500 range (fluctuating) at one point. Moving the idle adjuster either way from that point seems to make the idle go up. Not really sure which way is up/down (really should have noted that when the carbs were out and I could *see* the action. Didn't think it would be an issue though...

Next step is I need to find a way to feed it with the tank off. I'll have much better access to the idle adjuster (nevermind the carb sync screws and vacuum ports) and should be able to resolve the issues. Still though, feels really good to have started and run it multiple times today (cold and warm starts) and find no leaks!

Comment

• You really need a sync. If you can't get a lower idle, it's most likely the sync is off.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    You really need a sync. If you can't get a lower idle, it's most likely the sync is off.
                    Word...one or two butterflies can be cracked open, while others are touched down in the bore - so you run out of adjustment travel for the idle.

--------------------

I didn't do anything on my Kat today. Went riding with some people today and found a good powdercoater local to me and some other recommended places to help on the resto. Saw some of the work the guy did...1974 Husky 390 frame. Looked fantastic.

Comment

• RobTrav,
                      Same here at first. My butterflies didn't all land together.
                      Poor man's synch is to get the four aligned and not worry much more about it.

Today was the fun part, REASSEMBLY !! Runs great, idles with a purr (stock 750
                      exhaust n' intake) The Tunafish is navy blue now with some silver bits remaining
                      for contrast. Pics soon to follow. Hadda repaint one piece so that's another coupla
                      days curing time then it's getting posted here and on FB. Getting the title cleaned up
                      is at the last step and I can plate my "Gixxer Fixxer".

Gettin' kinda geeked up like a teenager which is just cool fer a 50 year old. hehehe

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Comment

• Fiddled with it some more. I've got my 1300 rpm idle now, but it's completely at the end of the travel. Next item up is the sync. I've got the carb sync tool, but still need to come up with a temporary fuel supply system as I just can't get enough room with the tank still attached via the factory hoses.

Comment

• These work: Aux Fuel Tank or cobble together something on your own. Even a funnel and clothes hanger with rubber tubing will work.

Comment

• A cheap radiator over flow bottle at the parts store will also work. Been using it for years. Or any old bottle ( keep the cap) or buy a rubber stopper.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Installed Denali sound bomb horn.

Comment

• reinstalled my carbs and its running worse than before.

Comment

Working...
                                X