X

New 2001 Kat owner - questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2001 Kat owner - questions

Three days ago I purchased a bright yellow 2001 Katana 600 with 5300 miles! And have only driven it hard only a few times. Overall I like the bike and think I may have found a keeper.

I have a couple of gripes/issues though I'd like to discuss with the forum, and see if these are "normal":
    1) Coming off the freeway, at the first light, I have a very hard time finding first gear. I think I have downshifted all the way, but when I take off I find the bike is in second, or even worse, 'stealth' neutral (indicator light not on). Very unnerving. Is this something that needs adjustment?
    2) Another transmission issue... Sometimes when I accelerate hard off the line the bike comes out of gear, or more precisely, does not shift to the higher gear and I'm left at the end of the lower gears power band. I have to be very deliberate and forceful with my toe to get into the next gear...of course I could slow down, but having acquired a 'new' bike, I want to put this Kat through it's paces. So again, do you think this is something that needs adjusted.
    3) Not really an issue, I do find my right hand goes numb after ten to fifteen minutes. I've had bikes before with this riding position, but this hand numbness seems more acute with my Kat. What would be the thickest, softest gel handgrips recommended?
    4) My front plastic fender bangs around a bit as if it is loose, and it is sorta loose. I'll have to look into this further but at first glance everything seems in place.
    4) finally, and this is a bit nitpicky, I hate where the kickstand resides when in the riding position. It gets in the way of the shift pedal when I put my feet back up after a start from stop. I suspect though with more time on the bike this "issue" will resolve itself.

Well that sounds like a lot of bitching... but truthfully I'm fairly excited to have my 'new' Kat. Hope to find some Givi mounts, install some sidecases, install a laminar lip windscreen, and hit the highway into the mountains above Denver before the weather craps out.

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

Man! I hope you dont have a lemon! I switch to Shell Rotella Syn 5/40 and this helped my klunky gearbox.

My new coupon book from Costco has a $9. off Mobil1 10/30 6 pack, it starts in a couple of days. It's good oil for less than $4. a quart.

Comment

Jumping out of gear under a heavy load is not a good sign, might have some worn internals. As for the gearbox being picky, my 93 didnt like going into first, it was a kind of spongy feeling like shifting through glue. I tried an oil change and it helped, but the main component that helped me was adjusting the clutch (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64698) as old sticky plates mixed with crummy oil can make for a very unhappy shifting experience. I think the cyberpoet sells shift kits too if you think thats a problem. Otherwise just kick the stick up harder, you may just not be used to the shifting of your particular new bike yet.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...
          Certainly changing the oil out would be fairly simple, and probably a good suggestion for anyone buying a used bike - you never know what the fool before you saved a buck on. I take it this is a 'wet' clutch that shares with the engine oil (I really do need to learn more about this Kat).

Comment

That sir is correct

Oh and as for the numbness in the hands, you aren't death gripping the bars are you? Gloves too tight?
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Toucan Kat View Post
              Thanks for the replies...
              Certainly changing the oil out would be fairly simple, and probably a good suggestion for anyone buying a used bike - you never know what the fool before you saved a buck on. I take it this is a 'wet' clutch that shares with the engine oil (I really do need to learn more about this Kat).
              Yep, its wet! Oil is real important with the Katana because it does so much with the air cooled design.

Comment

Look into buying a Throttle Rocker for about $10.00 to help with the numbness in your throttle hand. Once adjusted it works well.

Comment

1) Coming off the freeway, at the first light, I have a very hard time finding first gear. I think I have downshifted all the way, but when I take off I find the bike is in second, or even worse, 'stealth' neutral (indicator light not on). Very unnerving. Is this something that needs adjustment?
                  Could be the clutch adjustment. Easier to simply find first while still rolling just as you're coming towards a stop (about the same time you're down to walking speed). This also leaves you ready to accelerate if the person coming up behind you won't stop in a timely manner.

2) Another transmission issue... Sometimes when I accelerate hard off the line the bike comes out of gear, or more precisely, does not shift to the higher gear and I'm left at the end of the lower gears power band. I have to be very deliberate and forceful with my toe to get into the next gear...of course I could slow down, but having acquired a 'new' bike, I want to put this Kat through it's paces. So again, do you think this is something that needs adjusted.
                  Shift out of first by 5k, 2nd by 6k, then wind it out. The tranny doesn't like being wound out in 1st and 2nd -- and having to suddenly go off-throttle from 8-10k RPM in those gears can potentially induce damage (esp. over time).
                  I do sell shift kits that improve the shifting dramatically (details here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596 ). When you start looking for a new saddle, hard luggage and racks, seek me out as well.

3) Not really an issue, I do find my right hand goes numb after ten to fifteen minutes. I've had bikes before with this riding position, but this hand numbness seems more acute with my Kat. What would be the thickest, softest gel handgrips recommended?
                  Read this (how to set the controls):
                  KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                  and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

then read this (why vibes are particularly dangerous):
                  Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                  From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                  this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

First recommendation is to actually adjust the levers to your particular stance on the bike. Having to twist your wrist around into an un-natural position places a strain on the nerves that can induce this. Details here:

Second recommendation is to feel the throttle itself and see if the tube is sloppy on the bar -- if so, shim with a piece of wax paper and see if it changes anything (if it does, replace the tube with a new one).

Third is to get gel-palmed gloves. And learn to support more of your weight with your torso instead of your wrists, and simultaneously loosen up your grip on the grips.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've found with my Kat and previous suzuki's to completely get your toe out of the way of the shifter after changing up a gear, especially 1st to 2nd. If the shifter doesn't return to it's normal position cos your toe's in the way, it won't always go into the next gear when you try to change.

When down shifting are you coming to a stop in a high gear, then shifting down all the way to 1st when you're stopped? Might be causing the stealth neutral.

Comment

Yes, I think you are being a bit picky. I bought my yellow '01 in 2004 with 4,000 miles on it. I have added another 6,000. Aside from the defective neutral light and the loose front fender, I think I have experienced most of the same things you mentioned. One of my biggest adjustments was not rolling around in 4th or 5th gear at 30 or 40 mph due to the high pitch scream from the D&D exhaust. I thought I was over-revving but my friend said "No, you are almost into the power band". I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. It was my "re-entry level bike" after years without. Take care.

Comment

Well thanks for all the suggestions. I believe I have some things to think about, maybe change the way I was shifting. The front fender has been fixed, it was actually missing some screws on both sides in the front- duh. I will refrain from reving too high off the line in first and second, wait to roll up the rpms in third and see if I can be more precise with my shifts. I do suspect something is not quite "right" though with the gearbox. I'm a relatively experienced rider, sorta, and never had this much effort needed to shift up or down. Some of that is because the bike is still a bit unfamiliar I expect. But the riding position and shifter placement is not so disimiliar to my old Yam FZ6. So I'll watch the situation, but I feel something's amiss.

BTW, After seeing those pictures of the abused hands, I think I'll go get the thickest gell grips I can find AND the add on palm levers. Geesh, I never knew you could damage yourself. sometimes it takes over an hour for all the tingling to go away.

Three years ago I thought I should switch to a cruiser bike and picked up a slightly underpowered Honda Shadow. Recently decided I'm not ready for the barko lounger lifestyle and have switched back to a sport bike, hence the Katana. Smiles all around.

And kudos to you'all, I seem to have stumbled into a good group of Kat lovers here on this forum, and I'll start to watch, write in now n then, and ride if others in the area...Now if I can just get back the nerves to LEAN into these canyon turns again...that cruiser ruined my lean.

Comment

A suggestion for the vibes... un clamp your bars from the tree and fill them about 3/4 with BB's. Yes good ol' fashion BB's. They help to deaden the vibratrions. Good luck!
                          "The Strongest Steel Must Be Forged In The Hottest Fires"

Comment

Also, if the kickstand is in the way, it's possible that it's bent -- it ought to pretty much be out of your way unless the bike has been lowered (and the kickstand shortened), or it's bent (or you have size 14 feet).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Working...
                              X