Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

kickstand problem, bike wont start with kickstand down????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kickstand problem, bike wont start with kickstand down????

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone here will be able to guide me in the right direction. I have a 91 katana (750). A month ago I started to have this problem. When the kickstand is down on the bike it will not start. (Yes the bike is in neutral) If i leave the kickstand up it starts fine. I am guessing that it has something to do with neutral . Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a switch problem...because the kickstand switch won't allow you to go in gear with the kickstand down...so some where when you are in neutral there is a signal not being sent that you are actually out of gear and in neutral...Any one else with more experience please chime in with your expertise...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

It sounds like Jax got it right, but I am not an electrical expert at all. Once the bike is started and the bike is in neutral does it keep running if the kick stand is then lowered? If the bike still runs with the kick stand down then there may be a problem in the starting circuit.

Comment

Nope as soon as i put the kickstand down the bike turns off.

Comment

The switch that lights up the neutral light is not working right. It is telling your bike it is still in gear. Not sure how to fix it, but that sounds like the problem.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

The neutral light does work. But i feel it has something to do with it.

Comment

Starter Safety Interlocks:
              Clutch sensor + (Sidestand switch open without being in neutral)
              Run switch
              Ignition switch

Running Interlock:
              Sidestand switch open without being in neutral (as soon as you put it in gear, it dies).
              Run switch
              Ignition switch

You may also have contact issues (water contamination, other contamination) in the Run switch or in the starter button switch. Disassemble the pod and clean it out well with electrical cleaner, dry, then pack with dielectric grease.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the info. Are you talking about the run, start switch box on the handle bars. If so i will take that apart. The bike runs and works fine. I just cant put the kickstand down. It sucks and it's pissing me off.

Comment

Make sure you disconnect the battery before you pull apart the starter box and start tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by queens3358
                    Thanks for the info. Are you talking about the run, start switch box on the handle bars. If so i will take that apart. The bike runs and works fine. I just cant put the kickstand down. It sucks and it's pissing me off.
                    That's the box I was talking about. If you're getting a neutral light coming in the dash in conjunction with the rest of your sympons, go for that switch box & clean/lube.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

See told you someone would know...and of course it was Cyber with the technical talk... ...just kidding Marc...we all love you here...
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Thanks cyper,

I took apart the switch. However there was no dirt what so ever. The inside looked brand new. I sprayed and cleaned it anyway. No luck, still have the problem. Any other suggestions.

Comment

You are definitely getting the green neutral light on the dash?
                          Have you dropped the bike on the left side?

=-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes the neutral light works 100%. The bike has never been dropped. Everything works perfect accept i cant put the kickstand down. I am going crazy trying to figure it out. About a month ago i went to start my bike and nothing happen. I was like what the F**k. After 10 minutes i decided to put it back in the garage. As i was rolling it in i figure that i tried it one more time and it started. Thats how i figured out that the bike wont start unless the kickstand is up. It sucks, i like to warm up the bike before i ride it and now i have to sit on it or use the center stand. Just a pain in the A*S. I check everything i can think of. I have the repair manual went thought that and still cant find out the reason. The only electrical i have ever replace to bike was the battery a blinker relay switch and the + and -battery wires. Thanks again for the help

Comment

OK, here's what I want you to do:

Start at the kickstand, check the switch & the kickstand pivot hole closely. Then follow the wires for the kickstand switch upwards, checking for nicks and exposed wires, until you hit the first plug-in connector. When you get to the connector, open it up and look for corrosion. Report back.

Then repeat the same thing with the gear sensor wire (close to the front sprocket). Report back.

Either way, it's not like a huge deal -- so you have to put your kickstand up to start the bike & keep it running. Sounds fine to me...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X