No announcement yet.
X

Cool brake rotors...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spedee has the Galpher wave rotors. Check out the link to his website in his signature.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
      Originally posted by Yellow
      What's PVM brakes?

6 piston monoblocks.
      That little disclaimer at the bottom of the page that says "not for street use" is a bit scary to me... for that kind of $$ outlay, you should get street coverage as well

Still very sweet looking equipment

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Theoreticly there should be an advantage to perimeter brakes. Being at a larger radius they offer a higher leverage on the wheel.
        generally they are good enough to only need one.
        So while they concentrate mass on the edge of the wheel they may have a lower total mass that will offset a potential increase in the MoI. The lower mass will also give you a lower unsprung weight.
        I'm sure there is some math to back them up as something other than "eye candy".

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Theoreticly there should be an advantage to perimeter brakes. Being at a larger radius they offer a higher leverage on the wheel.
          generally they are good enough to only need one.
          So while they concentrate mass on the edge of the wheel they may have a lower total mass that will offset a potential increase in the MoI. The lower mass will also give you a lower unsprung weight.
          I'm sure there is some math to back them up as something other than "eye candy".
          The biggest advantage is the edge surface area -- in theory they should dissipate heat faster than smaller rotors, while also not carrying that heat inwards to the wheel bearings. But I've never seen a perimeter rotor that weighs less than the equivilent stopping-power dual-rotor set-up (doesn't mean it doesn't exist -- just that I haven't seen it). I think it would probably make great sense in conjunction with a hosack suspension

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Who's Hosack??

On the subject, well actually I guess we arn't..
            I'm a bit behind the curve on radial brakes.
            I see that the MC is very different but what is the "meat" of the system.
            And where are the advantages?

Comment

Who's Hosack??
              I might have spelled it worng (Hossack?), but he's an enginner who developed a different front-end suspension system for motorcycles about 25 years ago. The system does away with traditional forks in the sense you know them, and in return you get zero, zip, zilch brake dive while still sucking up the bumps (unless some break dive is designed into the system). BMW currently has a variant on the design on their K1200S, K1200R models due out this year. Biggest plus is lack of lateral flexibility, which helps keep the front end planted under all maneuvers.

On the subject, well actually I guess we arn't..
              I'm a bit behind the curve on radial brakes.
              I see that the MC is very different but what is the "meat" of the system.
              And where are the advantages?
              Well, there's radial calipers and radial master cylinders, two totally different animals.
              Radial-mounted calipers are designed to grab the rotors in a way that minimizes steering effect while increasing brake responsiveness at the handle. Also improves cooling of the rotor due to placement of the caliper (and reduces air drag induced by the caliper). Big thing as of last year, the feature everyone was hawking as the latest and greatest "gotta have it" wonder. For the typical rider, it makes only minor differences, because they're not going hot into a turn at 100+ mph.

This year, the hot gotta have it wonder in the braking world is radial master cylinders, which change how the motion of the brake lever is applied to the piston (a more direct path), resulting in a more linear response and a smaller packaging total (less mass). Here's an example of one such creature from speigler brake systems (curious note: this radial master cylinder was designed by the same design firm who designed the original Katana,)...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X