changing the kats blood

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the kats blood

Ok folks here is a poll for you and a question:

Do you change the oil before or after winter storage or do you wait until the mileage is where it should be after storage to change it.

I plan on changing my oil and filter before spring hits or at least before the rally since i have been riding it off and on during this cold spell.
    Before storage?
    0.00%
    After Storage?
    50.00%
    Neither?
    0.00%
    Both?
    50.00%
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

I just changed mine but I don't have to put it in winter storage so my answer wouldn't be fair. lol
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Before storage is generally accepted as the best time. I guess the logic is it keeps the nasty stuff that builds-up in your oil from eating away at stuff while it sits there. How much of a difference it really makes...?
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

IT really depends on the storage length and how old the oil in the bike is.

What I did was changed mine, then as I've had the chance to ride her this winter I'll do another change at a shorter intervals as cold starts and exteneded cold parking can have its effects. Will probaly do a change next weekend making about 1500km's after the last change just incase I need to park her for the next dump of snow.

Comment

Fill it to the brim for storage, I mean to the point where you can not put anymore in there, that way water won't build up. Then before you ride that spring, drain it all out, and giver her new oil and filter.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

put stabil in her and a little oil in each cylinder and put her on race stands so the tires don't flat spot.

Anymore questions, ROFLMAO
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

definately change it before and after you winterize. No need to change the filter though, when its time to wake her up in the spring...since it hasnt been started up and the filter a chance to get used.

atleast thats what I do.

Comment

change it BEFORE and AFTER you put it away. Only do the filter once
                Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

change it before as it removes acidic components of old oil that might be harmful to your little baby!!!

I always then change it again after winter!!
                  Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

What I've read most often says to change oil before putting it away along with filter , replace with cheap-a$$ oil for the time it'll be sitting , then replace the cheap-a$$ oil ( not filter cause it's still "new")with your regular stuff come spring . I didn't bother though , as my oil was still pretty new , and I never really put mine away . Haven't ridden it in about 2 weeks , though . But I'll be changing it again soon . Oil's been in there for a few months now , just not a whole lot of miles .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Only thing I have to add is to use an oil low in sulfated ash content before storage. The sulfated ash content mixes with condensation and can form sulfuric acid, which obviously isn't good for the metals. More oil also means less air space for condensation to form in. Finding a dry spot helps

Not that I'd ever know about winterizing... but I did store a bike for many years while I was serving overseas, and only "woke" it up during leaves back to the USA.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CYBER....ANY IDEA AS TO WHEN'S THE BOOK COMING OUT?
                        (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

Originally posted by SUPA-FLY-KAT
                          I work on it daily, but obviously it's not my fulltime job. SpecialK and a few other people who aren't around here are proof-reading sections (such as the brake guru's at EBC, the original design team at the firm who designed the Kat, etc.). Unfortunately, I am having problems finding certain reference materials and Suzuki hasn't been very responsive at all (their ad agency has, but Suzuki America hasn't). Right now, I'm still hoping for Valentine's day for the first edition, but it may turn into mid-march at the rate things are going.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Originally posted by SUPA-FLY-KAT
                            I work on it daily, but obviously it's not my fulltime job. SpecialK and a few other people who aren't around here are proof-reading sections (such as the brake guru's at EBC, the original design team at the firm who designed the Kat, etc.). Unfortunately, I am having problems finding certain reference materials and Suzuki hasn't been very responsive at all (their ad agency has, but Suzuki America hasn't). Right now, I'm still hoping for Valentine's day for the first edition, but it may turn into mid-march at the rate things are going.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            cycle world or motorcycilist had a 1/2 page article on the 82 kat 1100 special edition - yoshimira bought 5 of them and punched them out - i forget the final CC's but had over 150hp ! this months edition

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc

cycle world or motorcycilist had a 1/2 page article on the 82 kat 1100 special edition - yoshimira bought 5 of them and punched them out - i forget the final CC's but had over 150hp ! this months edition

tim
                              I actually PM'd him that info this morning ! The overbore was only like 32cc's or something (found it , upped it to 1135cc's). But they got the weight down to 436 lbs (from 532), and the HP up to 150 (from stock 96 , that's pretty impressive !) . Damn that would been cool !
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X