Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Does the crotch rocket label bother you ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dennis Wilson
    A guy at work just got a custom, told me it was 113 cubic inches.....that's about 1850cc!!?? He was bragging about his horsepower, almost 130 to the rear wheel! He further told me he's got 135 ft lbs of torque! Ok, that is impressive....I told him my stock 1000 puts out 120 ponies and about 98 lbs of torque...agreed I got less as far as the numbers go, but there's no way he'll catch me anywhere.
    I wouldn't be on it -- my guess is that he would actually be ahead of you up to about 48 mph (not by more than a few feet, but his torque hits 80 ft-lbs within 1500 RPM and yours doesn't until many thousand RPM higher).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If I ride a "crotch rocket" then what would you consider a chopper or Hog, a "crotch poker" think about it?

The next time one of those weekend warriors on a Harley, that acts like it's an El Diablo from West Coast Choppers opens his or her pie hole about your "rice rocket", just remind them to thank AMF, yeah the bowling company, for updating the "HOG" with the Evolution Motor or they still would be trying to get their Harley started and once they got it running, trying to keep oil in it. The USA is the greatest country in the world to live, but they can't build motorcycles worth a $*!#.

SayGra

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Originally posted by Dennis Wilson
        A guy at work just got a custom, told me it was 113 cubic inches.....that's about 1850cc!!?? He was bragging about his horsepower, almost 130 to the rear wheel! He further told me he's got 135 ft lbs of torque! Ok, that is impressive....I told him my stock 1000 puts out 120 ponies and about 98 lbs of torque...agreed I got less as far as the numbers go, but there's no way he'll catch me anywhere.
        I wouldn't be on it -- my guess is that he would actually be ahead of you up to about 48 mph (not by more than a few feet, but his torque hits 80 ft-lbs within 1500 RPM and yours doesn't until many thousand RPM higher).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Actually the Tiller hits 80 ft lbs at about 4 grand, tops at 8+......but more than that I do have the weight advantage not to mention stability. On top of all this, it would never happen at the drags (where he could use it), more likely bye-bye on the freeway...the hardtail choppers don't usually follow into triple digits.

Comment

I can deal with crotch rocket, I don't like rice burner or one I got from a HD instructor "skinny guys bike"
          sport bikes are called rice burners and Hog's are called oil spills. I work on both, HD's and Imports. I make most my money on HD chrome bolt ons and no money but enjoyment working on the rest of the bikes out there.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Range
            I am usually driving by too fast to hear them call it a crotch rocket
            Hence the name...crotch rocket!!

Comment

If I ride a Skinny Guys bike, man am I in trouble!

I don't mind Crotch Rocket. Let people sterotype, just goes to show how much they are "Really Into" there sport. Like it was said erlier, a lot of those cruiser guys would not know the differenace betweena honda, ducati, whatever. I will stick with my Rice Rocket, as my borther in law calls it, and blow all the crusiers away as they come stumbiling out of the bars as they bar hop on there sunday afternoon rides
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
                Originally posted by Junior
                Anyone that describes my crotch as "a rocket"... I tend to ignore.

Unless she's hot.

I think that is supposed to be "Love rocket"

I don't like "crotch rocket", but I would never get all bent either. For ann hour this morning, in the office next to mine I heard two harley riders talking about "crotch rockets" and the crazy sh!t they do on the freeways. I feel like saying, that's not me nor is it all of us. Mostly, I just ignore them.
                Thats funny. Sportbikers do , do crazy crap on their bikes and hurt themselves and others, yet back in the day and even now with some of the few biker gangs left. They all do drugs , have skanky looking wives who do anyone. Cause mischief and mayhem all over the place. Of course u dont hear about it anymore, but my half brother's father is still an active member in the Hell's Angels and he is a loser crackhead. Of course i dont stereotype at all.

I do wanna share a quick visual image i got a few months ago. My friend was in a car accident, some idiots chasing each other in 2 cars turned too wide down a residential street while my friend had JUST stopped at stop sign. Well after cops show up and track down the guys, they come back and take statements. So about 7 people standing there when we all hear this LOUD bikes coming down the street. We all turned and saw 2 semi-overweight MEN in wife beater tanktops riding on 1 harley. Yes i said 1 BIKE. One of the cops just starred and said, "well u dont see that everyday".
                " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

My boss refers to every squid and idiot on a sportbike as "one of my buddies".

He knows I'm quite a serious rider, and I don't hang around the idiots and squids, but I don't ride a harley, so I can't be like my other co-workers who don't know what gloves and helmets are (or any other gear for that matter)
                  Kyle

Comment

Yeah, it's quite funny when I get asked about my bike. I used to do "Ladies Lunch" runs sponsored by our local H-D dealership. It seems that the owner doesn't care what us gals are riding, as long as we're riding. Of course, Harleys are the majority of the group, but there were quite a few of us "other" bikes within the group; sadly, I was one of only 2 sport-bikes. One of the gals insisted that they would "wear me down and make me see the err of my ways, and convince me to get a Harley." Every time I would see her, it was the same old shit, "Sooo, when are you gonna get a real bike?" She would tease me about having a 600cc bike, while she had a Fatboy (I don't care enough to know how many cc's they have). Finally one day, in front of the group, she started her crap again. I smiled and told her, "Look, I've ridden your so-called "real bike", and honestly, I hated it. I can't see any other reason other than the bling factor to own one. I will earn my fellow rider's respect on a twisty road rather than in a dealership buying a t-shirt that advertises what I ride. You may beat me from a dead stop on a straight road, but I'll hand you your ass in the twisties....."
                    She didn't talk to me at any of the other lunch rides....I don't know why.

As far as being lectured on the "crotchrocket" genre, I give the same answer pretty much all the time: You have idiots everywhere that have too much money and no appreciation for danger. Yes, some people on SPORT BIKES do ride dangerously and do foolish things. Yes, it is a risk to ride a motorcycle-any motorcycle, not just a sport bike. It's all about the rider though. If you have someone that feels they have something to prove on their bike, then it's a recipe for disaster. The same way that someone buying a 4-wheel drive truck just assumes that they know how to handle the vehicle off-road or in extreme weather conditions. Life is a risk, but the reward of riding is worth it. So don't give me grief about riding a motorcycle, and I won't give you grief about the stupid shit you do. I have a mother, she's in heaven, I don't need another one here on earth."
                    Hate is a special kind of love I have for people that suck.

http://www.nmburn.com (#73-Defensive Tackle/Offensive Guard)

Hi. :bigfinger Cram it.

Comment

hahah, we havent this problem in Spain. The Harley crew is tiny next to the sportbike crew, so people always realize that if you ride a bike, it must be a sport bike.
                      PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by masrapido
                        hahah, we havent this problem in Spain. The Harley crew is tiny next to the sportbike crew, so people always realize that if you ride a bike, it must be a sport bike.
                        Let me ask, what does a Harley Davidson V-Rod go for over there? What is the total cost with import tax and shipping?

I am thinking it would be price effective to buy a "crotch rocket" or what some people call "Caffe Racer"
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by saygra
                          The USA is the greatest country in the world to live, but they can't build motorcycles worth a $*!#.

SayGra
                          Sadly that is true. But at one time the Harley-Davidson was the R1 of it's day. At one time there were over 125 motorcycle companies in the US.
                          Harley topped them all, only Indian managed to chase them and Harley put them to bed with unfair business practices.
                          The "failure" of Harley (in that their engine from an engineering POV sucks) is because of one word L-A-Z-Y. They sold bikes no matter how bad they were. I would love to build a Cafe' racer around a Sportster
                          engine, I love the way a big twin can sound, but Geez! 65 HP?? Tweeked!! too much work..

Comment

thats why I will be riding my new VMAX and smiling me ass of. The comfort of a cruiser with the balls of a sportbike.

It wont corner like a sportbike, but it can corner. And to tell the truth, there just arent many corners around here
                            Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I have to argue with you Peter, that is 65 horsepower at 90+ foot pounds of torque. Harley's are and have always been known for being low RPM, High torque, Monsters. They will tear up the pavement under them before they go anywhere. The only time they got LAZY as you say is during the AMF years, they used parts that were completely junk. That is why AMF does not own them now. The biggest reason for not changing engine design is "TRADITION" the average HD rider doesn't care for change.
                              I do have to add that I am so happy to see Porche step up and build one SWEET engine for the V-Rod.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              Who knows what is next?

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                                I do have to add that I am so happy to see Porche step up and build one SWEET engine for the V-Rod.
                                Yeah, but that's Porsche...
                                Does that mean the engineering talent isn't in-house at HD? Why not -- surely they can afford it, can't they?

Snickering...
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X