X

My new Cage...it's bluetiful!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice VW's for sure...........

VW's, just like any other vehicles, need to be maintained. When they are they will go a long time.
    I purchased a 1990 1.6 Turbo diesel new in 1990 and eventually passed it on to my son 4 years ago. He still drives it and maintains it better than I did. We have had to replace the head gasket twice and the standard consumables (brakes, tires, clutch cable, water pumps, clutch) over the many years of reliable service we have enjoyed.
    The car now has 504,000 kilometers (approx 305,000 miles) and still running
    strong.

Comment

Originally posted by 1FSTKAT View Post
      I have nothing but problems with my VW so far. Looking to get rid of it now.
      if it's a 2.slo 5spd MKIV, bring it up, I have cash burning a hole in my pocket...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

v dubs never really caught my fancy.
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:
        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Nice car, but I think I like your Kat more.
          "Emini's are the future"

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
            Very nice VW's for sure...........

VW's, just like any other vehicles, need to be maintained. When they are they will go a long time.
            I purchased a 1990 1.6 Turbo diesel new in 1990 and eventually passed it on to my son 4 years ago. He still drives it and maintains it better than I did. We have had to replace the head gasket twice and the standard consumables (brakes, tires, clutch cable, water pumps, clutch) over the many years of reliable service we have enjoyed.
            The car now has 504,000 kilometers (approx 305,000 miles) and still running
            strong.

truth.

I will be the first to admit VWs have some issues, but so does every other manufacturer. All brands have their own issues respectively...

With proper maintenance, the typical VW will go for a LONG time without any major components going bad. Things like alternators, window regulators, oxygen sensors, timing belts, chain tensioners, etc. might be some of the most common issues. I have had 6 VWs and always will have at least some in the household because overall I have put several hundred thousand fairly trouble free miles save some of the things that just go with time with any car.

Some people have had bad experiences, and it is what it is unfortunately.

As for me I think the overall quality is better than most cars on the road. Drive quality is nice, power is surprisingly great for the size motors they have...Interiors are very nice, the styling is sleek IMHO.
            As for performance, my 1.8T is pretty darn quick, no problems getting to 100+ and quickly....albeit I have a flash program and that was a major increase.
            My VR was also never lacking in speed/power/fun/quality ride. If you get a 2.0 8v, don't expect speed, but reliability yes. As far as the newer ones, I don't have any personal experience past my 2005.

I do respect/like other makes I just prefer my Dubs, and respect those that don't....To each their own

ps...For my own personal comparison, I have owned several different vehicles over time including 3 Fords, Olds, Jeep, Toyota, Saturn...Out of those my favorites were my Jeep YJ, Toyota MR2, and foxbody 5.0 Mustang....all of which had their own issues...

I still prefer my Dubs
            Last edited by jettajake00; 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM.
            vwvortex.com : jettajake00
            midmoriders.com :jettajake00
            Go Cardinals!

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
              if it's a 2.slo 5spd MKIV, bring it up, I have cash burning a hole in my pocket...
              Autotragic, but it only has 90K on the clock and basically every component on the engine is brand new.
              "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

bummer, already got a 2.slo slushbox, it's in the wife's beetle....reliable, but gutless...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Nice Ride, I just crashed my VW VR6 Golf 2 days ago and that makes me sad. Ive always liked the GLi's

Comment

looking good. be careful with wet shoes.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I bought my 2002 Jetta GLX with 58,000 miles on it for around $16k in the summer of 2006. By the summer of 2008 I had spent over $9k in MAJOR repairs with 65k miles on it. Entire new cooling system, top end, exhaust, and oil system just to start...

They're cool cars...

But **** that car, VW can kiss my *** for as hard as they took me to the bank. It spent three times as long in the shop as it did on the road.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        I bought my 2002 Jetta GLX with 58,000 miles on it for around $16k in the summer of 2006. By the summer of 2008 I had spent over $9k in MAJOR repairs with 65k miles on it. Entire new cooling system, top end, exhaust, and oil system just to start...

They're cool cars...

But **** that car, VW can kiss my *** for as hard as they took me to the bank. It spent three times as long in the shop as it did on the road.

That sucks to hear. Sounds like you had a lemon unfortunately...Luckily I have never had any major issues like that at all. Like I said nothing out of ordinary for my cars except minor issues that mainly went with age for me in all of my combined VWs. My main sore subject on them is their window regulator lack of quality and very sensitive MIL's which is more of an annoyance...Sorry yours turned out that way man.

Lemons are not that common but what you seem to hear of more often just because it stands out when people have a bad experience.
                        Last edited by jettajake00; 01-28-2011, 07:52 PM.
                        vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                        midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                        Go Cardinals!

Comment

I think that the only 'dubs worth owning are the diesels. I had a Fox that made it to 400k miles before I gave to the wrecker, an Audi 5000 turbo quattro that barely made it 110k miles before I donated it (big piece of junk) and we currently have 145k miles on a '03 jetta gls tdi 5 sp. It has large injectors, upgraded ecm, vr6 clutch, it is pretty quick and still can get 55 mpg on long trips if you are careful, but it has had lots of little things break, like two glove box lids, four console latches, one hatch mechanism, you get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                          X