X

89 750 Kat Starter problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 750 Kat Starter problem

I have a starting issue with my 89 750 Kat. Some times it cranks slow, sometimes fast sometimes in between. Sometimes it cranks fast with its battery drawn own and slow fresh off the tender. Sometimes it is slow no matter what. I had the two year old battery tested and it checks out excellent. Thinking it is the starter. I checked connections and all seem good. I had to get a jump start when I left work this evening. Jumped off of a small car, it cranked fast and started immediately. When I got home, I shut it down, waited about 10 minutes and tried to restart and It fired right up. I waited the hours and even with my jumper pack it would not spin it fast enough to start. Lights were very bright and all other electrics work normally. Thinking it is the starter, but when you apply enough juice, it spins like the dickens.

I believe I've seen mention of the gear slipping out of alignment a time or two. There's supposed to be a nut that holds it in place, but the nut can come loose. Should be easy enough to check.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Sounds like a faulty battery even though you said it was tested good. Whats the voltage on the battery when everything is dis-connected. Have you checked the water level in all the cells? Did it get drained too many times?

Comment

What's the battery voltage while trying to start?
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I have not tested it when trying to start. I had tested at a local shop. I cannot remember the exact reading. Water levels are full and it is almost always on a tender when it is home. I would say about 340 of 365 days of the year. It could be the battery. When I jump off a car battery, it cranks like the devil and the starter sounds normal (to say the least). If the starter was misaligned, I would expect it so sound "different." I will check the alignment.

What perplexed me was that last night was the first time it would not start with my booster pack. My booster pack can start a car with a nearly dead battery, but could not get the Kat to crank more than medium speed.

Comment

Could the booster pack have ran out of juice? The one I got requires a reload after a few "startups"

I saw a similar issue on an old chinese bike, with the battery connected it would crank but would never start. When a booster pack connected to the battery, it wouldn't start either, but as soon as you removed the battery and just used the booster it would start just fine. Tested with 2 new batteries and after a day, same issue.

Never got to the bottom of the issue, but the mechanic suspected some type of wiring issue that drained the battery more than it should.

Comment

Originally posted by Suture View Post
              Could the booster pack have ran out of juice? The one I got requires a reload after a few "startups"

I saw a similar issue on an old chinese bike, with the battery connected it would crank but would never start. When a booster pack connected to the battery, it wouldn't start either, but as soon as you removed the battery and just used the booster it would start just fine. Tested with 2 new batteries and after a day, same issue.

Never got to the bottom of the issue, but the mechanic suspected some type of wiring issue that drained the battery more than it should.
              Booster pack was fully charged. I had it charging all day. Power was good.

I had my son check the battery with is professional grade multi-meter. It shows the battery putting out 13.6 volts at the terminal. I also check negative at various bolts around the bike and I got 13.6 consistently. Problem is elsewhere.
              Last edited by TripleKing; 09-02-2015, 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
              X