Wheel Lock-up problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Lock-up problem

Hello Everyone,

Last night some idiots tried to steal my bike. Fortunately they failed, but pretty much busted and ruined the ignition switch to the point I cannot put a key there. I will have to replace the upper triple tree and ignition switch, however would prefer to work on it in a safe environment and store the bike at my work garage not parking lot outside my apartment.

Is there a way to unlock the front wheel or potentially even start the bike before I take the old ignition off? What if I buy the new ignition first and then plug it in but don't install it with a tree, would that work?

Please kindly let me know if there is anyway to make it happen, as I'd like to get the bike with a busted ignition out of there, just in case they decide to come back to finish the job.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards,
    Airborne

The only way to unlock the bars is to remove the switch, you'll have to get more sheer bolts and a switch. The existing bolts can be removed by drilling the heads off on them.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for the prompt response. What if I get a torqx wrench? Would that help tap those out?

Comment

Nope, must be drilled out. Security feature
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

The way the ignition switch is attached is different pre and post. It would be helpful if you said what motorcycle you have.

Comment

98 600 would have security torx bolts.

If the handle bar locks are in place, that will make it more difficult, but still can be done. The lock is a mechanical lock that inserts into a bracket welded to the neck of the frame.

If you going to replace them anyways, why not just drill out the ignition lock so that you can turn it and unlock the bars, and turn on the bike?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,

As always great advice.
              I have 1998 Katana, so I have noticed torqx bolts and fortunately my neighbor has a full set. The jackass thief ruined the upper tree so bad that it was beyond recovery. I was able to take the top out of the ignition and remove the springs, so I have unlocked the mechanic wheel lock. I have ordered and received a new ignition ($23) and upper tree (another $20) and put them back together using the same torqx bolts. Now it's just assembly and hopefully it works ok.

I will need to get an alarm or a GPS tracker so that it doesn't happen again. Also, they ruined my headlight cowling so I will need to get a replacement to sand it and paint it as of course I will never find it the same color, but that's cosmetic....

Looks like my issue is resolved, I know what to do from this point. Thank you for your help guys!

Airborne

Comment

Car alarms have saved zero cars since their invention but woken 100,000+ people up at 3 AM because someone got to close to a 96 Subaru. Don't get an alarm.

Comment

I have an alarm, it's freakin loud. It takes the bike being physically moved to set it off then it kills the ignition box, kind of, I missed the box to stop working till I get it going again.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                  X