Gearbox swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox swap

Hi all,
    Does anyone have any info a transmission swap or regearing. I have a 1997 600. My goal is to increase my top gear while still keeping low end torque (which rules out sprockets).

No info on that swap, but I once dreamed of changing my Bandit 1200's 5 gears to the 6 that are in 750 kats. I figured that, plus a sprocket change, would the same thing you mention. Then I learned that the gear ratio spread from 1st to 5th (Bandit 1200) was almost the same as the 1st to 6th on the Kat- so all I would be doing is spacing each gear ratio a bit tighter. I concluded it was in no way worth the trouble.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by kieselbach75 View Post
      Hi all,
      Does anyone have any info a transmission swap or regearing. I have a 1997 600. My goal is to increase my top gear while still keeping low end torque (which rules out sprockets).
      I'm sure there are other bikes that you could pull gears from to accomplish this....... Arsenic might be able to tell you what can interchange and what can't........ but more than likely he will tell you what I'm about to.......

....... this is a HUGE amount of work, and likely not worth it. If you want lower revs on the highway, and still great acceleration, then you'd probably be better served by sourcing a big cc motor to drop in, rather than the many, many, many man-hours that would be involved in mixing and matching parts, and taking apart the whole bottom end of your motor just to put them in. I'm sure the OEM parts aren't cheap, either.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Comment

Okay, well thought i would take a shot at it. Thanks guys

Anyone every swap a 750 for a 600 tachometer on a pre 98.
          Last edited by kieselbach75; 08-11-2008, 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
            No info on that swap, but I once dreamed of changing my Bandit 1200's 5 gears to the 6 that are in 750 kats. I figured that, plus a sprocket change, would the same thing you mention. Then I learned that the gear ratio spread from 1st to 5th (Bandit 1200) was almost the same as the 1st to 6th on the Kat- so all I would be doing is spacing each gear ratio a bit tighter. I concluded it was in no way worth the trouble.
            Once had a gsxr 1052 engine that came out of a grasstrack sidecar outfit in one of my streetfighters that had a 750 6 speed box in it, not reccomended as no matter what i did with the gearing, every time you cracked the throttle open the clocks tried to smack you in the face i ended up slower than ever as i simply couldnt get the power down, damn thing tried to kill me every time i rode it
            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Don't regear - swap engines. If you want low-end torque and top-end legs, there's no replacement for displacement.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well okay, but I just want a better 6th gear, like other bikes have. Faster on the highway.

And no I will not buy another bike, because mine is already customized and I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by kieselbach75 View Post
                  Well okay, but I just want a better 6th gear, like other bikes have. Faster on the highway.

And no I will not buy another bike, because mine is already customized and I like it.
                  CC's is the answer imo put a bigger engine in it
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Throw a Bandit 1200 motor on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X