X

Rattling in the gearbox

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling in the gearbox

So I purchased a 2002 Katana 600 and its been a great bike today I decided to get on it a lil after doing this it sounds like there's something rattling around/hitting the inside of the gearbox the bike still rides normal and the rattling only happens when I'm in forth gear or above and I can also feel the rattling in the shifter. I've never taken apart a gearbox so I'm not sure how everything is suppose to look but I'm going to open it up in the morning and look for signs of trouble but any information or insight would be very helpful if anyone has had the same or a similar issue let me know

Originally posted by jeff1833 View Post
    So I purchased a 2002 Katana 600 and its been a great bike today I decided to get on it a lil after doing this it sounds like there's something rattling around/hitting the inside of the gearbox the bike still rides normal and the rattling only happens when I'm in forth gear or above and I can also feel the rattling in the shifter. I've never taken apart a gearbox so I'm not sure how everything is suppose to look but I'm going to open it up in the morning and look for signs of trouble but any information or insight would be very helpful if anyone has had the same or a similar issue let me know
    Check your chain.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Mine was doing tgat when the chain was stiff an too loose.

Comment

First time adjusting my chain it was too tight and sounded like the gear box was going to fall out! Learned what I was doing and fine ever since!

Comment

Thanks for the feed back the chain was loose and I adjusted it while checking things out I noticed the front sprocket has alot of play in it could that cause any weird noises I'm goin to pull the cover of and check it out today

Comment

Sure could! Definitely check it out. Clean and lube while your in there.

Comment

The splines wear on the front sprocket creating all kinds of bad feelings and sounds. If its worn to that point your chain has probably seen better days!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X