X

1996 Katana 600 stock carb specs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Katana 600 stock carb specs?

I did a search, but didn't come-up with anything definitive...

Anyway, can anyone tell me what the stock carb specs are for a 1996 Katana 600 (US model)?

I'm looking for stuff like:
    • Main Jet size
    • Pilot jet size
    • Turns on on air bleed screw
    • Needle position
    • Anything else of note
    I think I've got 112.5 mains, 32.5 pilots, and the needles only have one slot for the clip, so it has a fixed position (could only be adjusted by washers if there is any benefit to raising them).

Also, are there any known improvements to the stock set-up while still using the stock exhaust and stock air filter?

Thanks!
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Last edited by steves; 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That's what I was looking for!

However, there is something I'd like to discuss...

The first link shows the stock setting for the air bleed screw to be 1.5 turns out.

The second link recommends a better setting is 2.5 turns out with stock exhaust and filter.

Logically, I'm thinking that the stock settings are generally lean. If you use stock everything, and you turn the bleed screws out an additional turn, you will be further leaning-out our idle mixture, which doesn't make any sense to me.

We're talking purely in theory... Any opinions? Experiences?
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid View Post
        That's what I was looking for!

However, there is something I'd like to discuss...

The first link shows the stock setting for the air bleed screw to be 1.5 turns out.

The second link recommends a better setting is 2.5 turns out with stock exhaust and filter.

Logically, I'm thinking that the stock settings are generally lean. If you use stock everything, and you turn the bleed screws out an additional turn, you will be further leaning-out our idle mixture, which doesn't make any sense to me.

We're talking purely in theory... Any opinions? Experiences?
        Well I know NUMEROUS members here run on 2.5 turns out. I think the 1.5 turns out referenced was a typo or it is the absolute stock setting and the bike runs better on 2.5 turns out. Not sure, but you should have the screws at 2.25-2.5 turns out for a stock setup.

Comment

1.5 is the stock setting. Most people run them at about 2.25, to 2.75 turns out.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Hmm... I'll give each way a try and see what happens.

Do you get what I'm saying though? The screws let more air into the carbs at idle as you turn them out. Seems like the bike wouldn't need more air unless it had richer jetting. Strange.

Thanks for the info though!

Comment

It's a fuel/air screw, not just an air screw. More turns out lets more fuel through the passage as well.

Rich = Out
              Lean = In
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

this was a great help thanks.

Comment

Yeah , if it's on the engine side , it's a fuel screw . airbox side , air screw .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well, I can confirm 2.5 turns out works a heck of a lot better than the stock setting.

Actually, I'm not sure how the thing even runs stock!

For good measure, I went ahead and shimmed the needles up about .024" using some old Dynojet washers I had. I figured since the mid-range jetting is allegedly lean on these, maybe it would help.

So, overall, it runs great! It accelerates cleanly though all the gears whether you're taking it easy or really caning it. However, I can't confirm that the washers are making a significant positive change, as I didn't check it without them installed. At this point, I'm thinking if it runs nice as it is, they must be good then!

Comment

Indeed . If it ain't broke ,don't break it !
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hello i'm new at this but maybe you guys can help me. my carburator needs maintenace, i'm considering buying a new one. where can i buy a carb for a decent amount of money ? or should i do it my self ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sadsam28 View Post
                          hello i'm new at this but maybe you guys can help me. my carburator needs maintenace, i'm considering buying a new one. where can i buy a carb for a decent amount of money ? or should i do it my self ?
                          New pods cost about $1500 for all 4 buying OEM from a dealer. Most bikes that age are not worth that whole, much less paying that much for just the carbs.

You can check Ebay for a set already rebuilt by Chris (seller arsenic1016) which will be spot on and clean. I think he has a set up now for $500 buy now.

Or you can learn to do it yourself. Probably less than $200 total if you are replacing parts that way.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a 95 Katana 600 I set the screws at 2.5 and I can get it running but no real power and it cuts off when I try to give some throttle. Everything is stock on the bike. I am going to try 2.0 and see if it gets better.

Comment

I got a 2005 kat given to me ... ran great at 3.5 out cleaned carbs and now thinking of turning it richer won't rev with out hand over breather ???? Going to try 2-2.5 thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X