Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Carbs have been put back on BIKE WONT START...ERGGGG-UPDATE!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs have been put back on BIKE WONT START...ERGGGG-UPDATE!

Hi,

I recently took off the carbs on my 98 Kat 600. It did start before taking them off but ran extremelly poorly (i.e backfiring, no pwer, difficult to rev up).

After tearing them apart and cleaning all them DIRTY DIRTY jets, I put them back on last night, charged the battery and went to start it up this morning. It turns over, and over and over. and every few seconds it sounds like it's gonna start (i.e. the engine fires, but then dies very quickly)

What are they steps to check before I go and try this again. All the lines are connected, I checked them tree times. I set the pilot screw out the recommended setting of 2 5/8 turns. The floats are all set to 13mm.

errggghhh.... Please help thanks

Nick

OK, I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in..

I would first crack the drains on all four bowls
    just to make sure you are getting gas to the carbs.

Check the spark (left and right coils)

Do you have the air box on?
    (though it should start with out it)

Try with choke off.
    (you may be flooding out quick)

Were you delicate with the mixture screws?
    (just seating them??)
    Did all the mixture o-rings get in there right?

What about reassembly?
    All the slides sliding good?
    Are the diaphrams in right?
    (I've had them pop loose)
    Springs?

Can you smell raw gas at the pipe?
    (this tells you gas is getting into the engine..)

did you use carb cleaner?
    Nothing that would hurt the seals, right?
    What about tools? did you just use cleaner?
    Or a wire in the jets? (this could raise burrs)

Comment

Drop the pilot screws to 2-1/4 and see if that does it. 2-5/8ths is usually a bit rich for a stock set-up (2-3/8ths is default in most countries). Also make sure that you are counting 360 degrees as one full rotation, not 180 degrees (sometimes people make that mistake).

Did you replace the o-rings under the pilot screws? They often are the culprit...

Vacuum caps on the carb sync ports (all of them)?

Plus everything BlackPeter suggested

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Did you replace the o-rings under the pilot screws? They often are the culprit...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        +1 to that..
        I called them mixture screws

They are little buggers too!!!

Comment

I didnt remove the pilot screws completly this may be why. I just tightened them down then turned them back to stock.

I have been counting 360 as a full turn, I was actually gonna ask if this is right

There are the fuel air/fuel mixture screws under a plastic cover should these be removed and reset?

Thanks again everyone for the help...Nick

I get home tonight at 7pm EST. I will let you all know how it goes.

p.s. I still dont know how to check for spark, can anyone tell me this?

Comment

Originally posted by yikes
            I didnt remove the pilot screws completly this may be why. I just tightened them down then turned them back to stock.
            When tightening them down, you only want to tighten to the point that they start to provide more resistance -- not significantly tight.

p.s. I still dont know how to check for spark, can anyone tell me this?
            Take the spark plug out of the cylinder. Reattach the spark plug wire to the plug. USING AN INSULATED TOOL (!), hold the metal on the outside of the spark plug (the same metal your socket touched to remove the plug) to the metal of the engine and hit the starter switch. You should see a spark jumping the gap every time the cylinder is supposed to fire (zap, zap, zap).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

May be a stupid question , but did you prime it first ?
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Yeah I primed it first,

But im pretty sure im getting to the bottom of this. I tried multiple differnt adjustments of the pilot screw dint appear to make any difference. I began to think like you've all said... fuel, air, spark = go

So...

I check fuel all the way to the carbs.......100% sure its getting fuel

I check air... tried with airbox on, off, and multiple settings of the prime screw.... no diff so air's gotta be good (i hope) Also disconnect the vacuume hose and I can hear carb 4 whistle for air when the engine cranks

I check for spark.....what the heck no freaking spark how is this possible, i start checking the electricals, everything looks ok, i get out my volt meter test right at the connections to the coils... looks good. I grab some other spark plugs (not the right temp but hey) they spark like crazy.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gotta be my spark plugs no?

NOW here's the kicker i call my local auto parts store they say there $26.99 each and they only have 3 available. WTF.... Someone's gotta be able to get these for cheap and can hook me up?

Thanks again folks!!!! Nick

Comment

Local auto stores here only want like $4 a plug . But the 600 amd 750 take different plugs . STILL , that shouldn't call for a $20 price difference . Just order them from like sparkplugs.com or something .

Comment

Gotta be my spark plugs no?

NOW here's the kicker i call my local auto parts store they say there $26.99 each and they only have 3 available. WTF.... Someone's gotta be able to get these for cheap and can hook me up?
                    I'd source them from your motorcycle dealer instead of that particular auto parts store at that price. Or call your local NAPA dealer. Kat 600 (96-06) and Kat 750 (98+) plugs (NGK CR9EK) should retail about $6 - $8 each, and the irridium version should be about $11 - $13 each. If you really need it, I have a set of four new CR9EK here that I could Priority Mail out to you in tomorrow's mail for $32 including shipping in the USA (I always keep spares around), but you'll probably do cheaper at the local dealer if they have them in stock.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So wait , all 4 plugs produce no spark ? That seems odd . :-k
                      Oh yeah , and just in case ..... http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross....=cr9ek&x=0&y=0

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        So wait , all 4 plugs produce no spark ? That seems odd . :-k
                        Oh yeah , and just in case ..... http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross....=cr9ek&x=0&y=0
                        Well 2 of the four seem to product some spark but not at regular intervals, and very very very very small.

I'd source them from your motorcycle dealer instead of that particular auto parts store at that price. Or call your local NAPA dealer. Kat 600 (96-06) and Kat 750 (98+) plugs (NGK CR9EK) should retail about $6 - $8 each, and the irridium version should be about $11 - $13 each. If you really need it, I have a set of four new CR9EK here that I could Priority Mail out to you in tomorrow's mail for $32 including shipping in the USA (I always keep spares around), but you'll probably do cheaper at the local dealer if they have them in stock.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Thanks CyberPoet, im in Toronto and realize shipping would be more, I'll let you know if I cant find em cheaper.

Thanks again everyone,
                        Nick

Comment

NEW SPARK PLUGS!!!!!! and budda bing badda boom! were running like a champ I had to adjust the pilot screw a little and idle speed but now its perfect, its never run better

Thanks for everyones help on this one!

Nick

Comment

Just be aware that if your mixtures aren't right, you'll end up with this problem again. New plugs next time too -- and mark the ones you'll take out then to compare to a plug to chart to help diagnoise any additional issues with the carbs.
                            Meanwhile, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've got it all resolved for good.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              Just be aware that if your mixtures aren't right, you'll end up with this problem again. New plugs next time too -- and mark the ones you'll take out then to compare to a plug to chart to help diagnoise any additional issues with the carbs.
                              Meanwhile, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've got it all resolved for good.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              symptoms of a bad mix = dirty spark plugs, backfireing, popping, no power through parts of the powerband, etc... no?

I pulled the plugs after about 10min yesterday of running they look much better than before, plugs 1,2,3 all looked really good, #4 was a little darker, so I undid the pilot screw a 1/4 turn, which should lean out that carb a little, no?

In total im at 3 turns on 1,2,3 and 3 1/4 on carb 4. (Running 122 mains)

Comment

Working...
                              X