X

Headlights shut off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights shut off

Yesterday I was driving with the high beams on and when I came to a stop light I decided to switch to low beams as the sun was starting to come out. When I flipped the switch, both headlights just went out as noted in the reflection of the cage ahead. I couldn't get them back on either. I checked the fuses and they all looked fine, I even flip-flopped them and it didn't solve the problem. I highly doubt that the bulbs are burned out since they went out at the exact same time. Also, all other lights (turn signals, and brake light) work and the battery is fine as there is no problems starting the bike. Anyone know what's going on and have any suggestions? Thanks.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Weird. Try jumpering the switch wiring to help narrow down the cause.
    Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

+ 1 to that..
      I wonder also if your headlight power comes through the ignition switch.. Mine went dodgy on me. I don't have the schematic in front of me.

Comment

I have heard of quite a few problems with the headlights going out like that, and have had my own experiance. Check the wiring, seems that something like to come loose. Follow the wires from the headlights back, and also check the switch itself.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

lol my headlights are also suffering from this problem, I havent started to troubleshoot them yet but if I figure it out I will let u know

Comment

For me it started where they would dim for just a split second, almost like my mind was playing tricks on me. Then I noticed they would go out, and then back on. Well, it was getting towards the end of riding season, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Next season, they didn't work at all. Took it to the dealer to get some other things worked on (the tranny), and it ended up being something loose with the wiring.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

you have good advice from these guys....except they are leaving something out. Take a moment to check the bulb. YES....you can lose both high beam and low beam at the same time. It is rare, but it can happen. Also check the plug that that the bulb plugs into. sometimes they corrode. these are the 2 simplest things to check and you will kick yourself in the ass if you start from the other end and take 1/2 day to get to it. Check the simple things first.

edit: nevermind my advice. I just realized you have a 2 bulb system. I was assuming you had one like myself. my bad.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                you have good advice from these guys....except they are leaving something out. Take a moment to check the bulb. YES....you can lose both high beam and low beam at the same time. It is rare, but it can happen. Also check the plug that that the bulb plugs into. sometimes they corrode. these are the 2 simplest things to check and you will kick yourself in the ass if you start from the other end and take 1/2 day to get to it. Check the simple things first.

edit: nevermind my advice. I just realized you have a 2 bulb system. I was assuming you had one like myself. my bad.
                But your point is a good one!! Don't ignore a simple test because you are "sure" it's not the problem!

Comment

Working...
                X