New here! Need help with bike.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here! Need help with bike.....

Hi, All!

Joined this group because I need answers to get my bike running right.
    I have a 1999 gsx600f. I rebuilt the carbs w/a dyno jet kit, using the first step jet. Rebuilt the carbs otherwise w/ a kit from bike bandit, new plugs, oil, etc. NOW:
    It ran great for a few months, but then it started lagging; at cruise, or under acceleration (it will do it at random) it chugs, acting like its starved for fuel. Running rough; I have cleaned the tank, new fuel valve, fuel filter, fresh high octane gas.
    I don't know what else to look at, or where to start next to fix the problem.
    Any ideas? I appreciate the help!

Spark issue? check the wires and boots. Any particular rpm this starts to happen? Any particular weather? What air filter are you using? Does the oil smell of fuel?
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-28-2016, 11:40 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Your year kat shouldn't have fuel filters FYI
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Your year kat shouldn't have fuel filters FYI
        Yes the 99 Kats have a fuel filter.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Also you do not need to run "HIGH" octane fuel, it will not benefit the bike just the gas company for you spending more on fuel than you need to. JMO
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
            Welcome to KR!

Also you do not need to run "HIGH" octane fuel, it will not benefit the bike just the gas company for you spending more on fuel than you need to. JMO
            True however, most gas station low and mid grades have ethanol mixed in with the fuel. Carbs don't like ethanol. Most high grade or premium fuels have no ethanol. This is why I choose high test over low grade

And welcome to the forum btw...
            Last edited by MotorBikeMike; 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
              Yes the 99 Kats have a fuel filter.
              Oops! Misread as '89, apologies. Yes filter needed.

Here (CA) it doesn't matter what grade you run, it ALL has ethanol...
              Last edited by shpielers; 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

It doesn't matter weather, temp, humidity. I have a parts bike for it; I tried swapping the coil packs (plug wires/boots are attached to them) and it didn't change anything. Oil doesn't smell of fuel (although I'll check again). The only thing I can figure is maybe the vacuum slide diaphragms are bad, or one is bad.
                It'll act up above approx. 4000 rpm. It does NOT, however, do it at idle-it will only do it under load. If I had hair, I'd rip it out by now......
                I figured that maybe someone that knows the Kat platform would have run into an issue similar, or have ideas on it. I appreciate the help, gents!

Comment

No hi flow air filter? I'd shoot for your carbs need work.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Possible fuel line starts kinking as the engine warms up?
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

This ^^^^^^ could be the problem, lack of fuel
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks man! I work a ton so I don't get to reply as fast as I'd like to.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        This ^^^^^^ could be the problem, lack of fuel
                        I'm thinking so. I may pull the carbs off of the parts bike, clean em' and see what happens. It's frustrating as hell. If I'm wrong, please tell me, but there's no way to really get at the carbs to adjust them w/out pulling all the plastics n all to get at. This seems to be an act of sorcery, tuning these carburetors......
                        Last edited by sureshot5150; 05-06-2016, 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                        X