X

New To KatRiders, in Santa Clara, CA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To KatRiders, in Santa Clara, CA

Hey all, just bought a 1989 Katana 750 with no spark but a clean title today... need to get it running, will post pics soon.

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome aboard
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome neighbor. I'm in SJ.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

1989 Suzuki GSX750 Katana

Thanks everyone. So here's the '89 I just picked up yesterday... not running and supposedly on non-op but got it for a can't lose price:

Bought a battery for it last night and all the lights, signals, horn & instrument lights work properly. The starter doesn't turn but starter switch has been played with so I've gotta check that out for continuity soon and find a wiring diagram.

Also... I'm not familiar with these bikes so maybe I'm not doing something right... I held the clutch in, press the rear brake, and everything I could think of that might need to also be happening when the starter button is pressed but no luck. If I'm missing something please let me know and thanks.

Comment

I have a windscreen if you need it. Clear OEM and tinted. And a downloadable manual is also available, it was the wiring diagram in it. My guess is either the clutch switch or the Sidestand was the issue.
              Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-27-2016, 10:48 PM.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                or the Sidestand was the issue.
                Hi 92x and thanks for the service manual links. Is there an owners manual online somewhere?

For the sidestand... I had the bike up on the center stand with the kickstand up... do both need to be up for the starter button to work on this bike?

Also... are there any front/rear seat options that will fit this '89 bike instead of the single long seat?

Thanks!

Comment

Center stand does not need to be up. However, the sidestand switch might be an issue. Try jumping it and/or the clutch switch. BTW, just checking - the kill switch isn't flipped to off is it? If it's on, and the clutch/sidestand switches check out, might want to check that the kill switch is working properly. Someone here had an issue with that a couple months ago, loose connection in the control pod if I remember correctly.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

So this is the current state of the bike. Turns out the motor is frozen so I've had penetrating fluid soaking in the cylinders for a while

Hopefully it will break loose soon.

Comment

Probably not worth the effort. Once seized, it won't be right. Low compression, worn bearings........good luck
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                        X