X

What Fork Oil Should I Use?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Fork Oil Should I Use?

I have a '92 Kat 750 with about 25,000 on it. I'm planning on changing the fork oil and seals. Any suggestions on the fork oil I should use? I'm a pretty new rider, I weigh between 180 and 195 (depending on the weekend I've had) and certainly wont be on a track any time soon. I have a Clymer shop manual as a guideline but any input is much appreciated.

10 wt is the stock, 15 is as high as you should go. However one companies 15 can be closer to 10, some lower. Bel-ray and Motul are the most accurate when calculated on a dyno. Maxima is the worst testing almost 30% lower than labeled, Redline is a good one too. So look and see what your local shop carries.
    Avoid Suzuki because they seem to package it in bottles just under what you need, so you end up having to buy 3 bottles. Nearly everyone else puts it in 1 liter bottles, that is enough for two forks. Now there is two ways to measure the oil. By volume or by level. The air pocket above the oil acts as a rising rate spring, as the fork compresses it has to compress the air. So less air in the top of the fork makes the "spring" stiffer. Measuring by level ensures the air pocket is stock. I measure by volume. Stock volume is 491ml or 16.6 oz, I use beakers now but used to use a baby bottle.
    I made a video on disassembling the forks, it's too long for you tube and too big for my server, If I can convert it to something smaller (its 230 mb) I'll try and host it.
    Last edited by Black_peter; 03-30-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      I made a video on disassembling the forks, it's too long for you tube and too big for my server, If I can convert it to something smaller (its 230 mb) I'll try and host it.

That would be awesome. I'm thinking about doing this myself and would really like to see it done first before attempting it.
      Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Originally posted by cybrnathan View Post
        That would be awesome. I'm thinking about doing this myself and would really like to see it done first before attempting it.
        Enjoy...

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/10583706"]Pre 98 Katana Fork disassembly on Vimeo[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          Nice!

I learned lots of things today....

Like the fact that you have no "Texas" accent.

Perhaps some day, we'll see your face online
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Nice!

Perhaps some day, we'll see your face online
            I doubt it. You know how hard I worked filming that to avoid it?

Comment

damn i've owned 3 different bikes....put them all well into the 20-30,000 miles range and never so much as even checked fork oil.....

My V-star is kickin almost 30,000 miles....maybe I should look into changing that stuff huh?

****Edit*****

Just got done watching you lil vid Bp....Pretty damn good dude.....
              Last edited by whitecl0ver; 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

My brother and I put 15w in his 94 600...while doing it we found out that he had about .05 oz in both forks. It felt like a new bike after we did it!

Haha, he goes "holy crap! I bet I can actually take turns now!"
                Last edited by LAsunbird86; 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Cheater! ..... having the bottom screw already loose makes it seem SOOOO easy....

BTW- If you don't have a spare 6mm key to cut off and make into a socket, I got mine here http://www.drillspot.com/products/42...Hex_Bit_Socket and it worked like a charm. I was surprised actually, because I expected some harbor-freight-quality device to show up, but it's really a stout piece.

Nice video, btw. Thanks for taking the time to make that. :

Now can anybody tell me why things hosted on vimeo are always so choppy for me? Every other video hosting site works fine, but on vimeo it's always choppy. It's probably my circa 2002 laptop that is the problem.

EDIT- to the OP, I used Silkolene when I replaced my seals and oil (uhh... last night). It comes in 1L bottles.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

This video is great!!!!!!!!
                    I always thought there was so much more in a fork.
                    How close to the same are the post 98's forks to the Pre's

Comment

I just took Lou's 1999 forks apart, everything but the drain screw is the same.

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                      Cheater! ..... having the bottom screw already loose makes it seem SOOOO easy....
                      Well that was "take two"
                      However Sweetlou's bottom screws came off just that easy!
                      It was freaky..

EDIT- to the OP, I used Silkolene when I replaced my seals and oil (uhh... last night). It comes in 1L bottles.
                      Silkolene's dyno'ed weight is exactly as reported
                      Last edited by Black_peter; 04-02-2010, 08:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm a bel-ray fan myself.
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                        Black painted seat and rear trim,
                        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I have used Torco on all the shocks I have built and all the forks as well, Never an issue.

From CRF450R to GSXR1000.

Tmod

Comment

I just put 20wt in mine . That what Breeze told me HE was running with no problem . Granted he probably weighs all of 130lbs , but STILL . I LOVED how his bike felt when I rode it .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That's a great video, thanks!
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                              Black painted seat and rear trim,