X

Air Filters- One or four?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filters- One or four?

Can someone compare the advantages of using a single K&N filter and airbox versus 4 separate ones attached to carbs?

Bike is an 89 1127cc, stage 1 jet kit, Yosh 4:1 if it matters

Thanks!

I had pods on my GPz750, looks good but takes a lot of work. With pod filters the engine will breath better but it takes a lot of fine tuning the carbs to get it just right. IMHO its not worth it.
    2005 GSXF750 Katana
    1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
    1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Really? I was thinking of pods on my CB650 Bobber project, but I hadn't thought about a 4-carb K&N-type air box. I assume the 4-carb set is not much bigger than the pods?
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

When I bought the Kat back from my brother he had put K&N Pods on it, they kept popping off the carbs, finally got tired of that & put the original air box back on with a K&N filter.

I like that set-up a lot better, no more finding a pod off when I was out & about, the Kat is a lot more quieter also, guess the air box helps trap a lot of the engine noise coming out through the carbs.
        I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

single pods make it notoriously awkward to set up the carbs correctly on the oil cooled motors, a mate put single pods on his B12 and binned them almost immediately as they strangled his engine, serious loss of power ....

stick with your airbox and fit a single k+n replacement ...

if you have an aftermarket exhaust you may also need a jet kit and some dyno time to get it up and running correctly
          it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

I just bought single pods and now I hear only complains...
            Does anyone actually have a stage 3, single pods and aftermarket exhaust
            who is happy with the combination?
            that was my project and now I dunno anymore....
            Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

....what would Mojoe say?

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo

I just bought single pods and now I hear only complains...
                Does anyone actually have a stage 3, single pods and aftermarket exhaust
                who is happy with the combination?
                that was my project and now I dunno anymore....
                I have that setup, I bought the bike with them on and I think the bike seems a bit lacking in the power department, but thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo View Post

....what would Mojoe say?
                  I would say stick with the stock air box with a good k&n filter.
                  pods are nice, and CAN be much more effective and give better performance, but as some said already, they are really fussy.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard the biggest problem with pods are at an idle.
                  something about drawing heated air from the engine. especially on a full fairing bike. where as the airbox draws the air from farther back.

I personally have no experience with pods other than what others have shared through experience. The guy who rebuilt my V&H racing engine for me said pods are a pain in the butt, but he is quite familiar with tuning them. I might have no choice but to go with pods on that project bike because my air box is for a 34-36mm set of carbs, and the set I will be using will be at least 38 and possible as high as 41.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I put pods on my supertenere' 750 a few years ago along with some home made mufflers and did not touch the carbs
                    the bike has been going fine and the maintenance easier
                    and some were saying that I would have had problems...none in that sense

Comment

I have pods and all the goodies too. Everything seems to run good, but I have a slightly high idle.
                      1990 GSX 1100

Comment

yeah the deal with pods seems to be that its really difficult to dial in the A/F mixture, making it hard to get good power throughout the entire RPM range, if you do end up with the pods let us know how it goes and what settings you use, i know a lot of people on here would like to know
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

all you really need to do is look at a pod in order to see what the problem with them is. an airbox is smooth. no sharp edges. and the air is flowing in a tube that is directly in front of the carb venturi. the flow of air is smooth.

then you have a pod. the venturi is block on the end by a cap on the pod. the air is sucked in from the sides through and pleated filter. it doesn't really smooth out in flow when it is entering the carb. and because of the way they are exposed, air currents differ at different speeds, which can mean that it will dial in on a dyno ok, but once you get it up to speed, things change. especially on the two outward pods.

but this is not a fact. or it could be, I guess. or at least close. it is just my theory on why pods can be difficult. I actually think aerodynamics of the bike can play a role in the performance of pods.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

So, with a 4-1 system, is the K&N a good chioce for the air cleaner?
                            Also, is a stage 1 dynojet kit ok or should I get a different stage?
                            Have a stage 1 on order and need to know if a K&N filter is a good choice for this mod?? ANY help is appreciated.

It has a UNI filter now and I have been told they are junk!
                            Last edited by danp2630; 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM.

Comment

i believe that all is required with a decent 4 into 1 system and a k+n filter in the standard airbox is, a stage 1 dynojet kit ...

stage 3 kits are required when you junk the airbox and go to pods (single or dual) ...

it's still recommended that you get a little dyno time to check the air/fuel mixture is correct across the rev range

that's my understanding of it anyway
                              it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Working...
                              X