X

Choke not working after bar swap.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke not working after bar swap.

I just swapped to new clip-ons (in the OEM mounts) on my 89 750 Kat. All went well except no my choke doesn't work. The choke linkage moves, but not enough to move the choke plunger. No matter how I adjust the cable, I don't get enough movement. Choke moves freely with needle knows and lever will turn off choke, but not engage it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by TripleKing; 08-09-2017, 10:22 PM.

Cable not locked to the choke lever cam or choke slide.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-09-2017, 10:03 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It works in one direction. If I open the choke to start the bike with pliers, I can close with lever. Once choke is off, I cannot turn back on with the lever.

Comment

Picture of the cable hook up?
        We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrontime View Post
          Picture of the cable hook up?
          Here is a pic of one exactly like mine. You can see the groove where the cable snaps in and the hole where the barrel goes. Seems straight forward. I have the barrel in the hole and the cable in the groove. What else is there?

The other end is correct at the carb end and was not tampered with. If I pull the choke plunger out with pliers, it moves freely. When the choke is engaged via pliers, the lever and cable will close the plunger, as normal, but will not re-open. When I try to engage the choke, the slide moves until it is about to move the plunger than stops. The lever will move, but the plunger does nothing. Even when I disconnect the cable and pull it with pliers, I can pull the cable and little happens. However, I am able to open the plunger with pliers. If I then set the choke to full off via the cable, the plunger closes as normal. It seems that I have way too much slack when i engage the choke, but all is okay when I want to disengage the choke.
          Last edited by TripleKing; 08-10-2017, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Sounds like cable route issue. Make sure that there no tight bends and lube the cable.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Sounds like cable route issue. Make sure that there no tight bends and lube the cable.
              Going to lube the cable now. I did have to change the routing to work with new bars, but even when I routed the old way, it did the same thing. Will report back after lubing.

Comment

I meant a pic of where the cable attaches to your carbs sir. Mine had a screw that holds it in place and it fits into the bracket. Can we see a picture of yours please.

Comment

No screw there. It's just a slot and a spring.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

The cable itself has a bracket with a screw though that attaches to the head. If its loose, or not on properly, probably forgot to put it back on. It will cause this exact problem, the line will tense the slack out till it pulls the choke some, then it will release ok. Check the cable hold down bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      No screw there. It's just a slot and a spring.
                      Re-routed and lubed, but no difference. The cable barely move the slide when you engage the choke, but it will let you open the choke all the way by hand. The the lever/cable will close the plunger as normal when you switch the choke off. I did not touch the cable at the carbs. All I did was re-rout the cable at the lever end to account for longer bars. Without rerouting, the cable wrapped around my left fork and would bind when the wheel was turned to the right.

Comment

Its just a little bracket near the end of the cable that screws it in place on the head to keep the cable stationary. Edit, it on mine at least attaches to the corner of the carb i just remembered.... sorry. On the lid for the diaphram the bracket for the choke cable screws on.
                        Last edited by Mrontime; 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrontime View Post
                          The cable itself has a bracket with a screw though that attaches to the head. If its loose, or not on properly, probably forgot to put it back on. It will cause this exact problem, the line will tense the slack out till it pulls the choke some, then it will release ok. Check the cable hold down bracket.

I never took it off. Nothing was touched on the carb side. the only thing done was that I routed the lever end inside the fork tube, rather than around the fork tube as it was. I will pull the tank, later, and check, but I expect all is intact.

Comment

It may have slipped out when it got some slack on it? If it worked fine before and doesnt now you should trouble shoot it front to back is all. Some of the stuff on my bike was held on with bread loaf twist ties and good intentions....

Comment

Did you ever get it working properly?

Comment

Working...
                              X