X

1998 Katana 750 - "drops" off at 110mph

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Katana 750 - "drops" off at 110mph

Hey guys, I have a weird issue with my bike - I was riding on the highway, I hit 110 and few seconds later the bike lost power, (like it was running out of fuel) I engaged the clutch and it died.

I lost some speed and started the bike on gear, it started right away.

A guy who knows the PO told me that the PO had that problem - he took the bike to a shop, they revised the carbs, the air paths, found no issues there, and initially he sold the bike.

Otherwise it has no issues, it starts normally, runs great, but the bike "drops" at higher speeds on the highway.

Do you have any suggestions?

I'll be the first to respond because I'm intugued!
    Is it stock?
    Fuel level and what position was petcock?
    All the lights stay on or go out on dash?
    Accelerating wide open, steady throttle, or what was the position of throttle?
    How long riding at speeds where it drops?
    Weather conditions at that time, earlier in day, and the night before?
    Last edited by rperry03; 08-15-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

The simple of it... Not enough fuel is flowing to keep the carbs filled. This could be too small fuel lines, kinked or partially restricted fuel lines, unnecessary in line fuel filters or improper fuel filters, petcock diaphram is leaking vacuum or is being partially prevented from opening fully, leaking or partially blocked vacuum on the petcock vacuum line, partially blocked vent in the fuel cap, dirty petcock screen..... So... start tracking down the flow issue by eliminated possibilities.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by rperry03 View Post
        I'll be the first to respond because I'm intugued!
        Is it stock?
        Fuel level and what position was petcock?
        All the lights stay on or go out on dash?
        Accelerating wide open, steady throttle, or what was the position of throttle?
        How long riding at speeds where it drops?
        Weather conditions at that time, earlier in day, and the night before?
        Stock
        Half tank, petcock - ON
        All stay on
        Throttle wide open
        2-3 mins and it dropped
        Hot weather

@Kreylyn

Will start checking those stuff. The bike was checked by a good mechanic before it was sold to me. He tried to change even the float levels, I was told. BUT, will follow your advice and start checking 1 by 1, to see whats what.

Comment

Working...
        X