GSX600F suspension settings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX600F suspension settings

Hey guys,

I'm new here, so please forgive me if I misinterpret any rules or ask questions that have been asked too many times before

I bought my '97 GSX600F last week. All is well, she rides beautifully, and I'm now getting interested in adjusting the suspension.

On the steering wheel, I can see that there is some adjustability. If you look at the picture, I mean the black knobs on top. (not my bike, just found this pic on google). The picture isn't too clear, but the black plastic knobs can be turned and display 1, 2 and 3.

Can anyone explain to me what this does? What do the numbers stand for? Couldn't really find anything about it in the manual. I thought about just trying something, but I want to know what I'm doing before I try it out.

Apart from this, is there any way to make the rear a little stiffer? In case I'm riding with a passenger.

Thanks
    Last edited by Adam46; 10-27-2014, 10:51 AM.

Originally posted by Adam46 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm new here, so please forgive me if I misinterpret any rules or ask questions that have been asked too many times before

I bought my '97 GSX600F last week. All is well, she rides beautifully, and I'm now getting interested in adjusting the suspension.

On the steering wheel, I can see that there is some adjustability. If you look at the picture, I mean the black knobs on top. (not my bike, just found this pic on google). The picture isn't too clear, but the black plastic knobs can be turned and display 1, 2 and 3.

Can anyone explain to me what this does? What do the numbers stand for? Couldn't really find anything about it in the manual. I thought about just trying something, but I want to know what I'm doing before I try it out.

Apart from this, is there any way to make the rear a little stiffer? In case I'm riding with a passenger.

Thanks

They adjust the damping, or are supposed to. Really it's so minimal of a difference that the answer could be...nothing.

If you really want a better suspension, then look at upgrading.

New springs for the front, with emulators (which will make those knobs completely worthless for realz).

Replace the rear not re-buildable shock with something that is. The Post 750 for example would give you a shock that can be rebuilt and have damping adjustments.

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I believe the settings are "bad, worse, and 'what was I thinking?'"
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Mine were set on different setting the first couple months I had the bike. Set them to match...didn't notice a difference...
        I also wasn't riding the bike hard as I was still getting used to it and the power upgrade (was coming from a lil ninja 250)
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I've only had my license for 2 months now, during which I've been riding a GS500, so for the time being I'm absolutely fine with what this bike has to offer.

Even though changing the settings won't make much of a difference, what are the settings supposed to mean? 1 = stiff, 2 = medium, 3 = soft? Or the other way around? And how can I tell which setting it is in? There's nothing to indicate this.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Replace the rear not re-buildable shock with something that is. The Post 750 for example would give you a shock that can be rebuilt and have damping adjustments.

krey
          So there's no way to adjust the stock shock? Seems like a pretty basic feature...

Comment

The only adjustment on the rear shock from the factory is pre-load (600 & 750) and dampening (750)
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The R6 shock will also work but, will lower the rear by 3/4", you'll need to lower the front with the triples or a bushing.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I've only had my license for 2 months now, during which I've been riding a GS500, so for the time being I'm absolutely fine with what this bike has to offer.

Even though changing the settings won't make much of a difference, what are the settings supposed to mean? 1 = stiff, 2 = medium, 3 = soft? Or the other way around? And how can I tell which setting it is in? There's nothing to indicate this.

So there's no way to adjust the stock shock? Seems like a pretty basic feature...

Yes on the adjustments you asked about. Pretty sure 1=harshest damping. 3=softer.

As Steves mentioned, the pre 600 can only be adjusted for preload, with the use of (7?) stepped options. No adjustment for damping or rebound. That old of a shock is going to be in 1 of 2 current conditions...

1. Fluids dried out, and no damping or rebound control at all... so it's gonna bounce like a pogo stick.

2. Fluids dried out in a way that blocks the internals some, making the damping and or rebound very sluggish. This leads to issues where the rear wants to compress and compress when riding causing the bike to sit much lower than it should.

Honestly... one of the biggest improvements you can make for the bike is a suspension upgrade. Even new the components were not really good with very few adjustments. For around $700 having someone else do the work for you mostly, you can have a suspension built to your specs (it needs to be to your specs to be right) that will make the single largest improvement to the bike over any other mod out there. It's really worth it.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Yes on the adjustments you asked about. Pretty sure 1=harshest damping. 3=softer.

As Steves mentioned, the pre 600 can only be adjusted for preload, with the use of (7?) stepped options. No adjustment for damping or rebound. That old of a shock is going to be in 1 of 2 current conditions...

1. Fluids dried out, and no damping or rebound control at all... so it's gonna bounce like a pogo stick.

2. Fluids dried out in a way that blocks the internals some, making the damping and or rebound very sluggish. This leads to issues where the rear wants to compress and compress when riding causing the bike to sit much lower than it should.

Honestly... one of the biggest improvements you can make for the bike is a suspension upgrade. Even new the components were not really good with very few adjustments. For around $700 having someone else do the work for you mostly, you can have a suspension built to your specs (it needs to be to your specs to be right) that will make the single largest improvement to the bike over any other mod out there. It's really worth it.

Krey
                  I'll play around with the front setup first. Only problem is that I can't see what setting it is in. I can just keep turning the knob as many clicks as I want, there's no setting which feels like the maximum (either stiff or soft).

Actually the bike feels fine overall, no real need to adjust anything, it was more just out of interest. I'm certainly not (yet) looking at upgrading any parts. I bought the bike for 700 euros, so upgrading soon feels very expensive in relation to what I paid for the bike.

Even though the bike is 17 years old by now, it's only done a little over 23.000 km (14.500 miles), so I imagine parts can't be worn that badly? (assuming appropriate maintenance was always done)

Just a quick question... what idle speed should I be looking for? The bike now idles around 600rpm. It never stalls so there's no issue, it just feels really low to me, my GS500 used to idle around 1200/1300...

Comment

I'll play around with the front setup first. Only problem is that I can't see what setting it is in. I can just keep turning the knob as many clicks as I want, there's no setting which feels like the maximum (either stiff or soft).

There should be small line marks on both the top edge of the fork tubes, and the triple. The fork tubes are supposed to be turned to match those lines up. Once lined up, you will see that the numbers all click into place at that point when you turn the dial. That mark designates what position the setting is in. If properly lined up with the triples, then that means the number closest to the rider is the setting it's in.

Actually the bike feels fine overall, no real need to adjust anything, it was more just out of interest. I'm certainly not (yet) looking at upgrading any parts. I bought the bike for 700 euros, so upgrading soon feels very expensive in relation to what I paid for the bike.

It's been said something to the affect.. "The best you have ridden is the best you know." 99% of the time people want to blame the weight of the Kat for the poor performance of the suspension when comparing the bike and how it rides, feels, and performs vs a newer sport bike. I can honestly tell you, it's the suspension and not the weight. You have already stated the very common responses about upgrading the suspension, so I'm not gonna harp on it. I will just say... your decision now is because your lacking the information or belief in just how much of a difference it would make, as well as how much of a difference is needed. Yes, the bike will go down the road... but the suspension is seriously lacking. I know this because it you had bought it brand new off the show room floor... it would be seriously lacking. This is one of the reasons the bike was so cheap to buy to start with.

Even though the bike is 17 years old by now, it's only done a little over 23.000 km (14.500 miles), so I imagine parts can't be worn that badly? (assuming appropriate maintenance was always done)

It's not wear that's the concern. Fork oil goes rancid, should be changed at least every 2 years. The rear shock isn't rebuild able at all for that, so you have a short life for it. Siting... not being used... those parts inside don't get oil moved around to recoat them. The oil in there separates when not being agitated from use, causing it to break down faster. Rubber and seals dry out. Fluids dry out and leave sticky residue that bonds or makes parts stick together when they should not. Over all... sitting or low milage is 10X worse on a bike than one that is ridden a lot and maintained properly.

Just a quick question... what idle speed should I be looking for? The bike now idles around 600rpm. It never stalls so there's no issue, it just feels really low to me, my GS500 used to idle around 1200/1300...

Idle should be 1100 rpms, +/- 100.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, everything's clear now

Comment

Working...
                      X